The best Speaker enhancement ever what a difference these make!

2»

Comments

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,362
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    63$ and two wads of bellybutton lint. Seller pays shipping.

Russ that's all your offering on these authentic Alabaster speaker enhancers or are you making an offer on Mikey's black discus resses enhancers?

Surprised he didn't offer his rectal thermometer :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,503
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I have 2 antique Asian carved alabaster lamps in my listening room, call me nuts but they do make a difference

OK... you're nuts!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

edited April 19
    I have 2 antique Asian carved alabaster lamps in my listening room, call me nuts but they do make a difference

OK... you're nuts!

:/ ...and quit blaming your f@rt$ on the baby
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,704
    What is the placement of those there Asian Alabaster lamps, and are they plugged in for maximum enhancement, and what's a rectal thermometer worth?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,458

OK... you're nuts!

:/ ...and quit blaming your f@rt$ on the baby

I've been blaming mine on the dog for years with great success.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP03, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii , Eastern Electric minimax phono pre, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries mini, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

gudnoyez wrote: »
    What is the placement of those there Asian Alabaster lamps, and are they plugged in for maximum enhancement, and what's a rectal thermometer worth?

Now you are getting personal

They are cornered for the best ambiance and are plugged into their own PS Audio Dectet AC Power Conditioner, with upgraded Cardas wire power cords
  • arekonarekon Posts: 77
    pretty sure SHE is supposed to be the **** blamer and we are the fallen innocent...
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,098

But the placement of said lamps is crucial to maximize mid range impact. I know for a FACT that they sound exquisite when place 45 degrees forward of the planar orientation of any tweeter.
    You rubes will never understand my superior audio intelligence.
    Egg shaped marble nuggets will also make your IC resist bloated low end.

Huh?! Learn something new every day. ... and here I've always used Beano for that.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

Before using the Black Discus, I tried using regular old Discus for system dampening.

gold_and_red_discus_150609a1_w0640.jpg

Worked pretty well, but after a few days the hifi lair started to smell kind of funky.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• msgmsg Posts: 3,422
    63$ and two wads of bellybutton lint. Seller pays shipping.
    Dayng. Jealous I don't have any speaker idols to sell.
    Surprised he didn't offer his rectal thermometer :#
    I didn't know that was on the table.
    Not eatin' there anymore.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Worked pretty well, but after a few days the hifi lair started to smell kind of funky.
    ah, the sacrifices we make...
  • Yep2Yep2 Posts: 778
    edited April 20
    I would keep the alabaster gods away from the corners or they will melt.
    Corners are usually 90 degrees. :)
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,537
    Yep2 wrote: »

You are so right you are almost acute.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • Yep2Yep2 Posts: 778
    edited April 20
    DSkip wrote: »
    Yep2 wrote: »

You are so right you are almost acute.

I'm Baptist thank you. :o
  • warrenwarren Posts: 542
    Ooga Chucka, Ooga chucka, I can't stop this feeling deep in side of me...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
    At the risk of pulling this thread off topic, I would like to opine that, if any of you happens to own (or might someday acquire) any Setton components (from the late 1970s), you will have to get one of these little Setton statues to go with it "for best results".

apwgysxqbl4y.jpg

14428053854_6517a4c8ae_b.jpg
    Setton RS660 RS440 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,256
    Those Setton receivers kind of have a Yamaha look to them which is pretty nice.

Unfortunately, Yamaha cheaped out and didn't have the comfortably curved knobs of the Settons which completely ruined the Yammy sound !
    Tragic ...... but true ! :o

MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,652
    edited April 20
    When I first saw those Settons, I thought they looked a lot like vintage Rotel receivers.

jnkzi9wrbfjq.jpg
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

edited April 21
    Rick88 wrote: »
    When I first saw those Settons, I thought they looked a lot like vintage Rotel receivers.

jnkzi9wrbfjq.jpg

There is certainly cosmetic similarity; I suspect, though, that it's a case of 'convergent evolution'. I don't think Rotel (or their OEM) was the OEM for Setton. That said...

Amusingly, the Setton receivers were also sold, with only slightly different cosmetics (and some small internal variations), under the Lafayette (Lafayette Radio Electronics) brand. I am not sure who actually made the receivers; Luxman is often bandied about as the possible OEM.

The Settons are rare and crazy expensive on the eBAY market; the Lafayettes aren't common but are more reasonably priced.

LR5555 = RS440
    LR9090(a) = RS660

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lafayette-receiver.598942/

I've never tried using either as room treatments, FWIW (and to stay on topic, y'all know that's very important to me!).

edited April 21
    So, just to finish the Setton/LRE thought :) -- in case anyone's interested -- here are the two above mentioned Setton receivers & their Lafayette morphs.

RS440 & RS660
    14428053854_6517a4c8ae_b.jpgSetton RS660 RS440 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

LR-5555
    14242580250_8b07a54878_b.jpgLR5555A by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

LR-9090
    15128722558_0e9f7f64a2_b.jpglr9090 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Eaton of Canada also sold an Setton/Lafayette variant under their "Viking" brand.
    amqgnggzuzjb.jpg

source: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lafayette-lr-5555a.184040/page-2#post-9232532

• dannylightningdannylightning Posts: 183
    wait, so putting something on top of your speakers can change the sound. or putting something on your cables can change the sound. this does not seem right but hell anything is possible.. when looking up Alabaster Slabs all i find is counter tops and what not.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

wait, so putting something on top of your speakers can change the sound. or putting something on your cables can change the sound. this does not seem right but hell anything is possible.. when looking up Alabaster Slabs all i find is counter tops and what not.

Folks do -- interesting -- things in their quest(s) to make their hifi hi-er.
    Who am I to judge? ;)

anpw3slcnsdk.jpg

source: https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=hug&n=175100&highlight=mass&search_url=/default.mpl?searchtext=mass&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=2016-01-01&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=hug

PS I just noticed in the photos in that thread that the Emilar EH-500-2 horn sitting astride the Altec VOT cabinet has no driver attached to it. Not quite sure what is up with that. :pensive:

FWIW; Here's a more typical application of an EH-500-2 ;)

32368861594_12cb40a849_b.jpgDSC_7249 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(note the sophisticated, computer-algorithm-designed cotton flannel decoupling medium applied between horn and bass cabinet ;))

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,889
    Geez folks, this is the only stuff recommended by the Audio Association of the World to lubricate voice coils, stylus cantilevers and connection points for ultimate clarity and transparency!

xmpg05tfz4ct.jpg

Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Actually, I think Colorado, Washington, Oregon, and a few other states (more all of the time) have a magic formula for improving audio system performance (or at least the perception of audio system performance). :)

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,749
    The receivers kind of look like JC Penny m0bsh4l4ivv2.jpg
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: Intona, w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,749
    Although I have kind of like the looks of the upper line JC penny 50tg99we1040.jpg

arbqexapliho.jpg

Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: Intona, w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

edited May 8
    Now, I'll grant you -- de gustibus non est disputandum...

but...

those MCS receivers in your post just above...
    just...
    eww.

• Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,652
    edited May 8
    Those MCS receivers remind me of Soundesign from the same period.

lejfewxpkjtm.jpg
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

2»