OPPO UDP-205 $1299

Options
2»

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    So I did hook mine up Saturday afternoon, and I'm very happy with it so far, but one thing that doesn't make sense is I own a 4K UHD 78" Curve Samsung, and when I put in a 4K disc I get a pop up saying my OPPO is not connected to a UHD TV..

The Picture looks fantastic, and the audio is incredible, I played a little of everything just to see if there would be any issues on different formats, I have none except the pop up, and it's not making sense..

And I do have the main HDMI cable going directly to the TV...
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ran the 205 through the weekend.

Sound is calming down and warming up. Sound is full, rich and detailed.

One of the things I love about Oppo, they will take criticism about previous equipment and apply it to future projects; they improve.

I don't get a "thin" or "overly analytic" feel from it at all.

I threw some of my "problem" songs at the 205 over the weekend and I was not let down. Sturgill Simpson's "A Sailor's Guide to Earth" is a great album. But (sadly) Sturgill's vocals are not recorded the best. In SEVERAL systems there is a distortion to his vocals that is not too annoying on main speakers, but with headphones, it's painful. With the 205, it's basically gone. The static and "nails on a chalk board" distortion I'v heard before is smoothed right out.

Keep in mind this has been noted on ALAC rips, direct CD playback and the HDTracks 24 bit download in other systems.

My other "problem" track is Mike Bloomfield's "Fat Grey Cloud" from Super Sessions. This track has a VERY noticeable crackle and distortion. Sad, bacause this is some of the best blues guitar work you'll ever hear...

With the 103 the distortion was obnoxious. The 205 reduces it to a listenable level, to me. It's not gone, but reduced by a fair margin.

One of my recent downloads that I did not really like through the 103 was the Elton John and Leon Russel album, "The Union". I felt like the vocals were pushed back and veiled. With the 205 the whole sound stage pushes forward and vocals are more front and center with better instrumental placement. Took a good album and showed why it's GREAT.

I'm JUST getting into this thing, I'll keep reporting...
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    So I did hook mine up Saturday afternoon, and I'm very happy with it so far, but one thing that doesn't make sense is I own a 4K UHD 78" Curve Samsung, and when I put in a 4K disc I get a pop up saying my OPPO is not connected to a UHD TV..

The Picture looks fantastic, and the audio is incredible, I played a little of everything just to see if there would be any issues on different formats, I have none except the pop up, and it's not making sense..

I guess the HDMI cable is making a difference with passing the UHD signal to the TV.

I also set the video output to "UHD Auto".
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Does your Samsung use the One Connect box? I know on mine the manual tells you to use one specific input for 4K HDR players.
  • Upstatemax
    edited May 2017
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Does your Samsung use the One Connect box? I know on mine the manual tells you to use one specific input for 4K HDR players.

My Samsung is pre One Connect. It's a 1080p set and thats the one that I have the BDP-103 connected to (through the SC-87).

My UDP-205 is connected to a Sony 4k set. I have yet to watch a UHD Blu-Ray with the new 205, my first one will be "Logan" that's on pre-order.

From what I understand, the UDP-205 will communicate with your set and can self adjust to maximize the tech present in your display (UHD, frame rate, HDR...), I guess that's why Oppo suggests the "UHD Auto" option. That way you're not stuck in one setting that might not be the best for your display and material being viewed.

I do have some experience with the One Connect box since my fathers TV has one and I've had to set it all up for him. From what I remember, his 4k UHD available HDMI in port was "HDMI 2".
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Just placed my 205 order. That & a pair of Cullen Cable XLR's to connect to my P5.

I'm way excited for this! In addition to likely crushing what I currently use performance wise, it will allow me to consolidate 3 components into 1. My current combined music/HT set-up is overly complex & a cable management nightmare.

Woooo!
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I think you're gonna love it!

Been watching Planet Earth II on UHD Blu-Ray, it's awesome!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

I had the same issue with my 203. Just continue past the popup and it will play. I think a firmware update solved that, or maybe it was a TV firmware update.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Now for sale on Amazon as well. If you have an Amazon Store card, you can get 5% back as a statement credit or get 12 mo free financing. I should have waited two more days. Such is life. :|