Best sounding universal blu ray player for CD playback??

Options
geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,071
edited April 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I know this a wide open question but trying decide if I should stay on the universal road (have Marantz DV 7001) or got back to separate CD and DVD players. The universal route is easier but not sure. The Marantz does a good job but I swear some of the older 5 or 6 disc units I have hear sound equal or better. Denon DCM 460, Onkyo Integra DX 909 , Sony CD CA8ES. As an FYI I have had higher end players. Rega, Apollo, Sony 777ES, Denon DCD 1650AR and tried many others. A used Marnatz UD 7007 caught my eye. I also know people will bring up Oppo. Seems like the logical choice but not sure about that and here is why.

We seem to be in a time were ears have or are changing . Folks seem to like or are impressed by hyper detail. From what I can tell this has led to a lot of affordable gear sounding thin / lean and detailed with little richness or harmonic structure. Not to mention digital files feeding right into that. A well known speaker maker once said to me 'there is more crap coming out of peoples speakers then you every hear live" Years later I realize he was right. I have sat in front of $20K systems and wanted to plug my ears. It sounded nice but not real. Sounded like data. I DO NOT need to hear someones nose hair moving in a sound system. I would never hear that if they were standing 10 feet in front of me. I am 56 and legally blind but have very good hearing and have become more aware of differences in sound. Almost hyper aware. When I worked in the audio biz many years ago I used to win money after work betting I could tell what piece of gear was playing. My point to all this is that I do not know what to believe anymore. I have tried things in the last few years that were supposed to be the greatest ever and ended up saying myself 'are you kidding me". I am not the only one who has these views . In fact it seems a lot of folks do. Which brings me back to Oppo. A lot of good reviews but I have also seen reviewers who like them make comments about thin and sterile. FYI Oppo is not found discounted because there is pretty much no margin in it verses most other audio gear which is around 40 point stuff.

Not sure what route to take. I am SO confused. Thanks

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The Cambridge Audio CXU is worth taking a look at for both video and audio over the Oppo 105D. The CXU is selling for $799 now.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    I agree with your thoughts about audio being made to be hyper-detailed and I agree, it doesn't sound like the real thing.

I can't speak for the universal you have, but the dedicated 2 channel CD/SACD Marantz players do sound real.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'll agree with Jesse on the Marantz. Not sure what the issue you had with the rega as I had really good sound out of mine but was backed with a tube integrated.

To a certain extent digital is going to be digital, maybe a change in the headend i.e. pre/amp. I do feel your pain as your description is you can't stand the "analytical/sterile" sound...me too
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'd scratch Oppo off your list as per your preference in sound. Perhaps the new series sounds different than their past players, they switched DACs this time around, but I can't answer that.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I have 2 older DVD players and the more I play with them the more I think they sound much better then most other universal players I have owned or heard go.
    I have a really nice Marantz DVD7600 Universal player that just sounds natural and clean for CD. Even the internal DAC's sound fantastic. I have compared them to the Sabre DAC's in my SC-99 and there is something warm and inviting about the overall sound.
    I also have a Sony DVP-S9000ES Which is not a Universal as it only plays SACD but I think its one of the best SACD players ever built especially for the retail price of this DVD / SACD player. Sony did a great job on this player and I will whip it out from time to time and install it into my system when I have like a empty weekend with nothing to do.
    The DAC's in that player also have that warm and inviting sound to it. I get what your saying about the Thin and Sterile. Many high quality players sound like that. Not really bad per say but in comparison to some of the older models like the 2 I have they don't have that natural quality to them.

I currently have a Pioneer BDP62FD which I honestly hate. It sounds pretty good when it works. Over the last year or 2 it's been acting up and only working when it wants to. I've been looking for a replacement player that does it all like you want. After digging out my Marantz and Sony ES players, it makes me wonder if I should just get a new Blu ry player and use them for my other needs.
    A good all around player is very hard to find theses days, years ago you had many choices. Today it seems like the Oppo is the only way to go as everyone else is building crap players. Sony is coming out soon with 2 new Blu ray 4k Universal players but the crap they have putting out for the last decade doesn't bring much hope for a killer new player.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Not much I can add to the above. The Marantz UD7007 is a good all-rounder but not doesn't stand out from the pack. The old Sony's are pretty good. My Yamaha A-S2100 has that nice smooth sound I like but they went cheap on the DAC to have some separation from the A-S3000 (which is a ton of money for a CD/SACD player)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Why does it have to be a one size fits all universal player? If it's only for audio, don't go with a UDP and find a CD/SACD that sounds and fits your needs/ears the best. I like the sound of the Marantz SACD players, very real sounding without added flavoring. I love the Oppo players for Blu Ray playback.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I might agree with the OP's concerns and thoughts. My suggestion would be to also dump the universal idea. You can find a good BDP these days for under 300 bucks. Put the majority of the money spent into the musical side and get a dedicated disc spinner....or go digital for music. Which is another can of worms.

The Cambridge unit mentioned earlier is a nice UDP, has that warmer sound your looking for and at a great price.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    Another vote for the Cambridge. I know there isn't much love for the new Pioneer Elite stuff but My BDP-88 is pretty musical.

Then there is the Marantz UD9004. No sure how it sounds but seems to be built like a tank and then some.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    There was a trend in the 1990s for manufacturers to try and make CD players sound more like analog sources. To some, including me, those sounded dull. Sure they sounded more like analog playback, but still didn't approach the analog sound from good vinyl playback. For some of the main manufacturers that goal switched at some point to making the highest resolution possible. Marantz (Cirrus) and Cambridge Audio (Wolfson) source DAC chip sets from different sources but have done a pretty good job of taking the middle ground in the below $1500 market. Gear that uses the Sabre DAC all sound pretty much the same to me.

I have a belief that upping the resolution mainly shows the limitations of 16 bit audio tracks on some players more than others. A solution to that is to switch to 24 bit high resolution or DSD tracks.

Another option is to add a tube buffer between the player and preamp and see if that helps.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I'm in the non universal player csmp. If you want music to sound good and like music should then you shouldn't expect to get that from a box that tries to do everything. Find a good music spinner and a seperate blu-ray player. You'll waste more time and money going through universal players and wind up not being completely satisfied.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
  • kharp1
    Options
    Having said that let me also say, again, how happy I am with the Marantz SA-14S1 SACD player. Nice dac with a good detailed (not thin and metallic) warmer sound with great depth. Couldn't be happier.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    Options
    Look up some reviews on the OPPO 105. It uses the Saber reference DACs and the power supply and analog section have been redesigned specifically for 2-channel analog playback. I reviewed this back when it came out and really liked it.
  • geppy1
    Options
    Thanks guys I have to think
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    Call me close minded but I love my maranta us-7007. The whole reason I got it is because it has a balanced output stage. It's a well built machine and is fairly heavy for its size. On the inside maranta went to the trouble doing several things, actually having a nice sheet of steel between the hdmi board and two ch audio board, a ferrite core on the wires connecting the power supply and two channel board, and a super heavy duty laser/transport cover. Real nice player, pretty $$$ but very nice and incredible picture, I have sharpness set to +1 and it's amazing. While the ud9004 will never happen I wouldn't hesitate if I could:)
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The new Oppo UDP-205 has me more than curious. It will be my next bluray player. Plans are to place it on a set of Stillpoints Ultra mini's & run Jorma cables.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The Cambridge Audio CXU is worth taking a look at for both video and audio over the Oppo 105D. The CXU is selling for $799 now.

Will be un-boxing one after work tonight. :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Call me close minded but I love my maranta us-7007. The whole reason I got it is because it has a balanced output stage. It's a well built machine and is fairly heavy for its size. On the inside maranta went to the trouble doing several things, actually having a nice sheet of steel between the hdmi board and two ch audio board, a ferrite core on the wires connecting the power supply and two channel board, and a super heavy duty laser/transport cover. Real nice player, pretty $$$ but very nice and incredible picture, I have sharpness set to +1 and it's amazing. While the ud9004 will never happen I wouldn't hesitate if I could:)

It's Marantz :)

maranatha

;)
  • geppy1
    Options
    The main reason I look to a universal is the idea of not having to screw around with another IC and power cord . To be honest i do not watch that man DVDs but that could change. Also anything I get would have to be used for financial reason ie bang for the buck The CA or the 7007 sound like the best options Some one mentioned the Oppo 105. The same reviewers that like it do mention it is on the slightly lean /clinical side which as I mentioned in post one I do not like but it appears to be the way things are now.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Keith depending on your price range I would lean for the Marantz UD-5007 or 7007. Many seem to like their presentation
  • kharp1
    Options
    If DVD's are an afterthought why wouldn't you buy a quality CD player and spend less on a DVD player. If music was my main thing, and it is, I would buy a good CD player and pick up a decent DVD player on the cheap...which I did. Also, if music is the main thing a decent spinner and solid DAC would be where I put my money. IC's for a second DVD player would amount to a decent HDMI which can be had reasonably cheap.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    If DVD's are an afterthought why wouldn't you buy a quality CD player and spend less on a DVD player. If music was my main thing, and it is, I would buy a good CD player and pick up a decent DVD player on the cheap...which I did. Also, if music is the main thing a decent spinner and solid DAC would be where I put my money. IC's for a second DVD player would amount to a decent HDMI which can be had reasonably cheap.

It is quite a dilemma. I I have some SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, Blew Ray audio, and Some Blew Ray concert stuff. All of my regular CD's have been ripped to FLAC (and stored in a bunker) so the former are the only reason I want a good sounding trasport that does it all. This is also the reason I have no plans to procure any more physical media. Furthermore, screw Oppo with their 4K replacements, why the hell do I want to see bad movies even better? I am gonna get a Cambridge and be done with it unless I can figure out how to rip all of the above.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    Here's what I use:

15wbj12.jpg
  • chumlie
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    chumlie wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

Will be un-boxing one after work tonight. :)

I am anxious to hear your thoughts.

I have the 752BD and I like it a lot. I really like the sound of the Wolfson DAC chips in it.

Based on the photos the internals and rear panel are the same, I don't know what (if any) differences there are in the 2 players....

Finally got to give it a listen. I'm quite pleased with the audio end. Can't speak to the video as it's in the 2 channel for the time being. Handles everything and sounds great. May hook it strait to my amp this weekend. :)
  • chumlie
    Options
    The way it sounds, it may never be used for video. Think I may leave it in the 2 channel.
  • BillJGW
    BillJGW Posts: 7
    Options
    I have an Oppo 105. It does a decent enough job for 2-channel music playback and is really great for BR quality. I went the universal route because of a lack of rack space. Also, if you have the coin, there is a darn good (but somewhat pricey, $1800) mod from Bill Thalmann at Music Technology that will supposedly elevate the 2-channel only playback to a very different level. This is something I'm saving up for, as it's been compared to and supposedly beaten a VSE-modded Sony, something I have owned in the past and which was very nice.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Pretty simple really for a dual purpose HT rig get a Oppo 105 we just finished watching a movie the wife went to bed and I'm listening to CDs with the Oppo as I don't want to fire up the 2 channel rig this late. If your talking 2 channel only then forget the Oppo and get a Marantz SACD player that let's you play SACD's red book CDs and use the internal DAC for digital with your laptop.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Pretty simple really for a dual purpose HT rig get a Oppo 105 we just finished watching a movie the wife went to bed and I'm listening to CDs with the Oppo as I don't want to fire up the 2 channel rig this late. If your talking 2 channel only then forget the Oppo and get a Marantz SACD player that let's you play SACD's red book CDs and use the internal DAC for digital with your laptop.

Doesn't the Oppo do the same thing ? I'd imagine for strictly sound quality though the Marantz would have an edge.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable