SDA II replacement driver questions

Options
Hello, I recently decided to buy a friends pair of SDA II speakers that he bought in college. He bought them used a couple years old, 30 years ago. I am very familiar with them, as I have been in close contact with him this whole time. They are second generation 2's (horizontal tweeters, 3 6.5 drivers per speaker, no protection fuse on the back).

Anyway, one driver is locked up. He had one driver replaced after maybe 3 or 4 years of owning them, but this is a different one. All drivers are MW 6501's, including the one replaced, but the replacement has a later date on it than the others.

I have ordered a pair of MW 6503's to replace the bad driver, but I'm wondering what the best configuration would be? Basically I have a pair of speakers that need 6 drivers, and what I have are four "matched" 6501's with presumably the same amount of wear/mileage on them, 2 replacement 6503's which I believe are New Old Stock, and one newer 6501.

So, given that assortment of 7 drivers, what would you put where? I understand the 6501 and 6503 have slightly different specs, so the 6503's should probably be used in the same spot on each speaker, but is there a better place to put them (bass, mid, or dimensional driver), or does it not matter?

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The 6510 is closer to the 6501 than the 6503.

Regardless, put the two oddball drivers in the SDA position.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toeslider
    Options
    Are the SDA drivers always toward the outside? Or where are they on the 2's with three drivers?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Always on the outside.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk