HT advice: S15s with good sub, or S60s with my current junker?

Options
JiminKY
JiminKY Posts: 6
edited April 2017 in Speakers
So I bailed on the TL1 center, and have the S35 on order. With what I am comfortable spending, right now, I can either add a pair of S15 (maybe S20) bookshelf speakers and an SVS sb12-NSD, or go for the big S60s and keep the 15-year-old Sony HTIB sub I've been making do with (no built in crossover adjustments, etc., but Audessey on my Denon 2112-ci seems to make decent use of it).

I've read people suggest that with stands, there is not much savings in the bookshelf speakers, but I would not need new stands. At about 85% HT use, I'm leaning toward upgrading the sub and going with the bookshelves, but the floor-standers sure look nice.
Post edited by JiminKY on

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    Options
    Bookies and the sub. Bigger bookies if u can swing it. Your receiver won't open those towers up anyway. And the sub will make a Huge difference for ht.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I would probably pick up a pair of S 50's, and start saving for a sub. Either that, get the SB 12-NSD, and save for the S 50's.

Those 60's may be a little to big a load for the Denon you have.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,456
    Options
    Hmm, nice box being opened here,

I went to Polk and had a listen of the S60 on an old bottom end Onkyo AVR, They sounded amazing. Polk designed the Signature line to be driven with lower power AVR. I have my S60 and S20 being powered by a Marantz SR5010, both systems sound amazing.

No If I was starting where the OP is I would go with the S15 and a HSU VTF2-MK5. Speaker stands can be costly but can be made easy. Just google DYI Speaker stands. I think IKEA sells some decent ones too for like $75 a pair. Or just use the wall mounts on the S15.

I would then go into save mode for a pair of S55/S60
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here's a way to save a little...refurb, B-Stock, Open box.

S30 - $159.99 shipped / refurb
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-Signature-S30-BLACK-WALNUT-Center-Channel-Speaker-/361951957532?hash=item544604921c:g:koAAAOSw2gxYweMe

S15 - $184.92 shipped / Open box
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-S15-Open-Box-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-/172576096263?hash=item282e564007:g:LT4AAOSw32lYyIa9
    or Auction
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-Signature-S15-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-Black-/382046270108?hash=item58f3bb729c:g:gMoAAOSwcdRY9Q60

Rythmik LV12R - $529 shipped / B-Stock http://www.rythmikaudio.com/clearance.html

$873.91 total

Then, save up and buy a pair of the towers S50 or S55 down the line when on sale at the Polk ebay store or Adorama. Move the bookies to the rear.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    eBay has a 20% coupon deal going on right now for a max of $50 off if that helps.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    The Marantz is a much more capable AVR than the Denon 2112ci.

Even though it is constantly preached here, just look at watts per channel claims.

Denon. 90 watts per channel, one channel driven. No load given.

Marantz 100 watts per channel, 2 channels driven, 8 ohm load, full freq range.

Polk designed the Signature line to work with budget systems, but I would still say that the S 60's are a little to large of a load for that particular AVR.

I think that it will be able to drive the S 50's, but I wouldn't advise anybody to go bigger than that with an AVR that small. Would pair better with bookies, but the OP said he prefers floor standers, and nobody here should suggest the S 60's would be a good match with his current gear.

If the OP really wants the S 60's than the priority should be upgrading the AVR first. Otherwise I stand by my previous recommendation.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,456
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    The Marantz is a much more capable AVR than the Denon 2112ci.

Even though it is constantly preached here, just look at watts per channel claims.

Denon. 90 watts per channel, one channel driven. No load given.

Marantz 100 watts per channel, 2 channels driven, 8 ohm load, full freq range.

Polk designed the Signature line to work with budget systems, but I would still say that the S 60's are a little to large of a load for that particular AVR.

I think that it will be able to drive the S 50's, but I wouldn't advise anybody to go bigger than that with an AVR that small. Would pair better with bookies, but the OP said he prefers floor standers, and nobody here should suggest the S 60's would be a good match with his current gear.

If the OP really wants the S 60's than the priority should be upgrading the AVR first. Otherwise I stand by my previous recommendation.

You are correct, his AVR might not be up to the task.

When I had my listen at Polk in Vista they had the S60 hooked to a low end Onkyo and it drove them nice. That is what I base my opinion on.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • JiminKY
    JiminKY Posts: 6
    Options
    I appreciate all the input. I'm fine on money, just trying to balance what I want with what I truly need (and now considering what my AVR can handle). The AVR is staying, as I am more than satisfied with it. Of course none of it this stuff seems reasonable to the wife who is happy with the TV speakers (which I can only assume are actually there, having never heard them).

Before the wife decided we just had to grab an Ethan Allen entertainment console, I was ready to start my upgrades with a new, higher-end SVS sub. But that was going to be the only purchase for a while and I was going to upgrade the other speakers over time. Suddenly, the new configuration required a center less than 4" tall, and my whole world changed! LOL.

An impulse purchase of the TL1 center was a cheap and easy way to make her feel like she didn't crush my man-cave dreams. However, I quickly realized it was time to re-evaluate and get real. For now, I've gone ahead and ordered the S15 bookies. Was about to pull the trigger on the sub, when I saw the mention of the HSU VTF2-MK5 and Rythmic sub, above. The HSU has good reviews, but I literally did not see anywhere to purchase it online, and the Rythmic seems a bit over my current target budget, even as B-stock.