Turntable Question - Distortion One Channel Only?

msg
msg Posts: 9,309
Hey guys,
quick question, was listening to a few records earlier, and I think I'm noticing a bit of distortion in the left channel only. Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily album for example - a bit of an edge and touch of harshness and distortion in the vocals and upper range.

Right channel's really smooth. Is this likely to be cartridge/setup related you think? I've never really been very confident about the cartridge alignment. Should be close, but I just don't quite get the protractor thing. Doesn't it move during the setup process?
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Not sure which turntable you are using but I have been fine tuning my table.

The instruction for my VPI state that:
    Distortion in left channel = too much anti-skate.
    Distortion in right channel = too little anti-skate.

I have also found that a little more tracking force can help.

I would try the tracking force first.

Also clean the stylus.

Hope this helps.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • msg
    ah! good info Todd, thanks!
    I'll give those a shot.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    The protractor - make sure the stylus is in the middle of the middle of the pattern in both patterns. You'll have to move the cartridge up forward or backward on the headshell to achieve this. It takes time to get it perfect. You can get free protractors at vinylengine.com.

I think this is a good video on how to set up a 'table and he talks about the cartridge alignment and how to set it using a protractor:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WM-aIDwfrhc&t=605s
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Something easy to overlook, make sure the wires on the back of the cartridge aren't really loose. Put a toothpick in the barrel and crimp it down some if they are.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2017
    Distortion in one channel is probably mistracking -- If the alignment's OK, check the antiskate. I think the earlier post is correct; left channel issues correlate with too much antiskate.

As an editorial (grumpy old man) aside -- antiskate is one of those things that can often do more harm than good, in my utterly un-humble opinion. A little antiskate can go a long way :neutral:

EDIT: Actually the other two comments in tratliff's posts are good points, as well. :#
    Sometimes folks seem to assume that less VTF is better -- it rarely is (IME/IMO). Optimal VTF is better (best, in fact -- the superlative adjective form). Usually (again IME/IMO) the high end of the 'recommended' range is usually "best". Disclaimer: my experience is all with conical & elliptical styli; I've never used styli exhibiting any of the more exotic geometries(!).

And, as tratliff mentioned, a little fuzzy-wuzzy on the stylus can wreak some audible havoc.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Something easy to overlook, make sure the wires on the back of the cartridge aren't really loose. Put a toothpick in the barrel and crimp it down some if they are.

Yeah -- iffy connections can have audible consequences, too, now that Nightfall mentions it!

:)

I am adding lots of value to this discussion, ain't I?
    Derp.

:#
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    I want to add... check the headshell contacts where it connect inside the arm tube. A q-tip and some isopropyl cleans these contacts pretty well as dust, dirt, and general "gungus" can build up over the years here and can cause that exact problem.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

Yeah -- iffy connections can have audible consequences, too, now that Nightfall mentions it.

:#

I learned this one recently, super easy to overlook.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Did you buy the lp new? I have been given some records that were played with a ceramic cartridge and were distorted on my table but on the friends it was fine.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • msg
    I figured this out late last night and early this morning. I got stupid grown-up chores to see to, so I'll post up on it later.
    You guys are gonna laugh me right off the forum.

There's been a lot of good info in this thread so far, so it hasn't been a waste; thanks for all. I'm going to spend some real time dialing in my table per the recommendations here so far.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I'' take a stab at it.....sounds like it was just a rookie type mistake.

Dust on the cart?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    edited April 2017
    As promised, I'm back to post up what I discovered to be the problem with my turntable distortion issue. So you guys can joke on me. I'm sitting there thinking something's really jacked up as both tables, begin to sound progressively worse as albums play. The solution was ridiculously simple.

First off, "Shuddup, Tom" << Russ told to me I could say that.

Second. #$&*%. Todd, Mark & Tom, you were right!

I took a look at my stylus. Looked like a had just a bit of fluff on there.
    Then I pulled out a little loupe, and, when I went to inspect the stylus, imagine my reaction when I found this stuck to the end, staring back at me...
    15hyvuond4b8.jpg
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited April 2017
    I didn't think for a second that lint on a stylus could cause that kind of distortion! It was pretty nasty sounding.

The main reason I didn't think about it was because I've been cleaning records lately, and always use the Hunt lint brush before and after play on every record. I had no idea it could accumulate to this degree. I thought lint was just for dirty people.

Btw, Don King's hair above is taken from an actual photo of the lint accumulation on the Grado Green I use.

5sjtfida2rs6.jpg
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    This was the first time I actually had a close look at a stylus and cantilever. It's really kind of neat, and to think that this is where the sound transfer from the record begins.
    It's really quite amazing.

Before/After
    qj98yi4xr9pu.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    So THAT'S where the rest of my bellybutton fur went. Thanks Scott. Hold on to it for me. :#
  • msg
    Lol, still holding. Stuff's worth money!
    Howt... how'd you manage to get a leaf in there?
    Intact, no less.

4zg44b70e6ba.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I work outside. All kinds of flora and fauna floating about. Is my chipmunk in there? I haven't seen him in a few days.