PS3 Decommission Day.

nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,534
Yep, today is the day I put my second PS3 out to pasture...retire it, just don't find I'm using either one anymore. Good games have evaporated, PS Plus isn't worth it anymore and sadly, PS4 won't be offering much in the way of good games so the last Sony devices in the house...are finally gone. Should wipe them clean and put them on the local craigslist.
Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

Bedroom: Mac Mini, XBox One 500Gb+2TB External, Control Marantz SR6008 powering the top halves of the towers, Dumb amp Harman Kardon HK3490 powering the lower halves of the towers, RTiA7 passively bi-amped, Alpine CDA-9886 car deck for radio purposes, Schiit Asgard 2, Sony MDR-1R.

Keiko wrote: »
That's offensive and not audio related. I'm telling! :#

Comments

• adb3daadb3da Posts: 370
    PS4 has plenty of good games. Time to upgrade.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,912
    Scorpio! :)
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 2,657
    Nothing wrong with the PS3 my eight year old son plays his all the time. Still making new games as far as I know.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,534
    adb3da wrote: »

Ok...anything like...say...Forza 6 or the Forza horizon series? No...XBox exclusives and way more fun that Grand Turismo.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

Bedroom: Mac Mini, XBox One 500Gb+2TB External, Control Marantz SR6008 powering the top halves of the towers, Dumb amp Harman Kardon HK3490 powering the lower halves of the towers, RTiA7 passively bi-amped, Alpine CDA-9886 car deck for radio purposes, Schiit Asgard 2, Sony MDR-1R.

• adb3daadb3da Posts: 370
    nbrowser wrote: »
    adb3da wrote: »

Ok...anything like...say...Forza 6 or the Forza horizon series? No...XBox exclusives and way more fun that Grand Turismo.

For the record, I have both PS4 and XB1. If you only like racing games, then yes Forza is king and only on Xbox. I have Forza Horizon 3 and it's fun.

But PS4 has lots of great exclusive titles like Uncharted 4, MLB the Show, The Last of Us 2 (future release), Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone (future release) etc...

And there's plenty of fun cross platform games too like The Witcher 3 (my personal favorite), Fallout 4, Battlefield 1, The Division etc....

Witcher 3 was one of the best games I've ever played, the hype for Cyberpunk 2077 is real.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |

• andrew82andrew82 Posts: 147
    All hail CD Projekt Red!

Also, if you're into gaming, PS4 just makes more sense out of the current lineup for the better specs and build quality. Not to mention the games. Anything from From Software (Bloodborne, Dark Souls).
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,132
    Yeah I am knee deep in Horizon Zero Dawn...game is amazing! Couldn't get into the Witcher 3 but before you hang me on a cross I do know it is a great game. I've tried on two separate occasions and just cannot get more than 6-7 hours in. Beyond that CANNOT wait for The Last of Us 2 eeeeeekkkkkk.

Xbox is trying to sell games on Forza and Halo...not much else.
    Living room

Mains: SDA 2B Studio
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved

2 Channel/Bedroom

Polk TSI 200
    Power: Yamaha Av34
    CDP: Technics SL-PD688
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Grado SR80e
    Harman Kardon CL
    Bravo V2 12AU7

Closet of Dreams:

Marantz PM235
    Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Paradigm Monitor 90
    Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    edited April 17
    There's no wrong answer really. Get the console that has the games you like.

Forza alone was reason enough for me to switch from PS2 to original Xbox.

While I'm not married to a brand like a lot of fanboys are, I own a PS3, I do prefer Xbox. I'll get a PS4 at some point, when they're cheap. Before that though I'll get the Scorpio this holiday season. I do find it funny that the diehard PS fanboys touted the PS4 being more powerful since the beginning of this generation (1080P on PS4 vs 900P on XB1 lulz, Xbox sucks) but now that the Scorpio is going to make the PS4 Pro look like a toy they're all saying power isn't everything, it's about the first party games. I mean come on, could they be anymore transparent about their blind Sony dedication? Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony all make decent to good hardware. Don't let fanboyism control you so much that you miss out on excellent games on other platforms.

Has anyone here bought the Switch yet? The new Zelda is supposed to be one of the best games ever.

• mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,329
    Is it going to the same sledge hammer farm as the oink?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP03, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii , Eastern Electric minimax phono pre, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries mini, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Is it going to the same sledge hammer farm as the oink?

Nah, they both work fine...gonna put em up on the local CL for peanuts...wipe the drives and be done with anything Sony in my house.

• msgmsg Posts: 3,141
    I figured it was nearing time for you to take up Chess in the Park.
  • ShizelbsShizelbs Posts: 7,416
    Keep that thing around for Bluray playback.
  • sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 144
    Can't you use it for SACD ripping as well. I think firmware dependent though.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Parasound P5
    Amp:Parasound A21
    Speakers: Polk LSi15 w/ Vr3 Fortress Plus Crossovers and DB Woofer mod
    Source: Oppo 103D, Mac Mini, Bryston BDA-3
    Cables: AQ Castlerock Speaker, AQ Columbia XLR/RCA, AQ Diamond USB
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60

Home Theater
    Reciever: Pioneer Elite SC-99
    Amp: Pioneer Elite SC-09TX
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 703 (Fl, FR, RL, RR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Power: PS Audio P5 Regenerator, Furman IT Reference 15i, Pangea AC14SE and AC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR75X940D
  • andrew82andrew82 Posts: 147
    @codycatalist I can't wait to start playing Horizon; I hear from tons of people that it's fantastic. Even more excited for Last of Us 2. The first game was incomparable on a number of levels.

@Nightfall I have a switch. The Breath of the Wild is incredible. I could be sinking much more time into it than I currently am, but thankfully my self-control has held up... for now. I just ordered Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because what's the point of a Nintendo system without a good multiplayer game? But a new controller costs $70!

edited May 8
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Keep that thing around for Bluray playback.

Why? Either or my XBox One's will play Blu-Rays just as well, and the S will do 4K Blu-Ray.
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Can't you use it for SACD ripping as well. I think firmware dependent though.

The original ones yeah, but both mine were slims and neither had SACD playback.

That all said, both are now gonzo alonzo!

• Batman_RobinBatman_Robin Posts: 10
    Yep, today is the day I put my second PS3 out to pasture...retire it, just don't find I'm using either one anymore. Good games have evaporated, PS Plus isn't worth it anymore and sadly, PS4 won't be offering much in the way of good games so the last Sony devices in the house...are finally gone. Should wipe them clean and put them on the local craigslist.

Last week i need to put off my PS3 because it does not want to turn on and only showing yellow Led. I guess this is called as YLOD. The worst generation in my opinion. Used to have ps1 and ps2 and still have no problem.

Last week i need to put off my PS3 because it does not want to turn on and only showing yellow Led. I guess this is called as YLOD. The worst generation in my opinion. Used to have ps1 and ps2 and still have no problem.

Yeah, that happened with some PS3 units, both mine were unaffected and were running fine the day I sold them. There was a fix for YLOD but I honestly forget what it is.