Audio-Technica AT-LP3WH

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
I just received this Audio-Technica AT-LP3WH and gave it a go over the weekend.

It is supposed to fit in the Audio-Technica line between the LP60 & the LP120 but the MSRP is only $50 less than the MSRP on the LP120 so it isn't exactly in between the two models (I think that you get a lot more turntable for $50 if you go with the LP120 over the LP3WH).

The LP3WH features a belt drive and a built-in pre that can accommodate MM & MC cartridges. The headshell is removable making it fairly easy to upgrade/swap out carts. The included cartridge is an AT91R Dual Moving Magnet phono cartridge which is red in color and matches the red color of the headshell. As far as I can tell, there is little to no difference between the AT91R, the ATN3600, or the ATCN5625AL as they all feature the same conical stylus and are all considered to be base/entry level.

It was fairly easy to set this 'table up. It has some nice feet that are pretty squishy to dampen it. All the buttons are clearly marked and easy to read. The feel of the buttons on the front is a little "cheap" but they'll probably hold up fine. The power cord is detachable but the interconnects are not. You can bypass the internal preamp as well.

This is a fully automatic turntable that is comparable to the Denon 300F I had. I think that the AT-LP3WH operates more smoothly than the Denon 300F. Both of these automatic tables are good looking so that's up to the buyer to decide which they prefer. With the Denon, it's only available in black in the US but you may be able to get one in Silver from overseas. With the AT-LP3 you can choose between Black or White & both feature the vivid red headshell.

The Black Denon 300F headshell fits on the AT-LP3WH so that was a pleasant surprise. I mounted a Nagaoka MP110 on the Black Denon headshell with a Gold script which matches the MP110 quite nicely. I swapped out the stock AT91R for a Grado Prestige 1 Black. I did listen to the stock cart for a while before swapping anything out and it wasn't horrible. I did not use the built-in preamp as I'm running the signal through an ART DJ II Pre until my Bottlehead Reduction with Induction upgrade is ready. I really like both the MP110 & Grado Black as they are both very musical; I would be happy listening to either one of them.

The sound quality is pretty good and swapping out cartridges makes a big difference. My wife likes the look of it and says it's "mod." I can see the white finish having issues over time :( but the combination of white, black, silver, and red is pretty nice.

It is a fairly large 'table, & it's slightly wider & deeper than my Pioneer PL-7. The PL-7 is also a fully automatic 'table and it has a direct drive quartz lock instead of a belt drive. The Pioneer is surprisingly smooth in its actions for a 34-year-old 'table. The LP3WH is pretty smooth as well but I'd give the edge there to the Pioneer. The Pioneer also features a Repeat button which the AT-LP3WH does not. Other than that, auto functions are similar.

This is a decent tt for someone starting out but I still think you get more with the LP120 or a vintage tt still functioning properly (or in need of a refresh) that you can pick up for the same, if not le$$ than either the LP3WH or the LP120.

AT-HS3 headshell w/ AT91R (OEM)
33851885321_c5afdf858d_c.jpg
33135806984_062b4c22f4_c.jpg

Denon headshell w/ Nagaoka MP110
33851949021_889b13d7d7_c.jpg
33851954681_22403b2584_c.jpg

AT-HS3 headshell w/ Grado Prestige 1 Black
33596634370_1b2f6d3bc6_c.jpg
33940487286_c19a56c43c_c.jpg
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    Options
    Nice introduction of the table and summary of your impressions.
    Good info on the carts and such.
    I haven't gone nuts on carts, myself. I've used only Grado Green and a Shure M97xE. The Grado is more detailed, but I think I like the Shure a little better for vinyl chill sessions. Just depends on the music type and album condition. The Shure is a little smoother and more laid back, and doesn't seem to pick up as much noise as the Grado. Not as accurate either, though, obviously.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Nice write-up. Audio Technica always looking to find that sweet spot to attract consumers, and Hanpin happy to manufacture turntables for them...and many other brands.

Regarding those various AT cartridges, they do all seem similar as AT likes to play the name game to appear offering something new. I think the only difference between the models you listed is that the AT91R has a 0.6mm conical tip, whereas the other two have 0.7mm tips.

The AT95E gets a lot of recognition as a good value cart, and with an elliptical tip is a step up. Next would be the AT120E, which is part of a family of AT carts with the same body size, so that styli are interchangeable between them. So, for example, you could have an AT120E cartridge body, but put an ATN150Sa Shibata stylus on it. There are line contact options as well.

Grado, Shure, and Nagaoka (to a degree) are usually characterized as having a warm sound, and Audio Technicas as being bright. This is evident in their respective frequency response curves. Just pick your flavor!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • halo
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Nice write-up. Audio Technica always looking to find that sweet spot to attract consumers, and Hanpin happy to manufacture turntables for them...and many other brands.

Regarding those various AT cartridges, they do all seem similar as AT likes to play the name game to appear offering something new. I think the only difference between the models you listed is that the AT91R has a 0.6mm conical tip, whereas the other two have 0.7mm tips.

The AT95E gets a lot of recognition as a good value cart, and with an elliptical tip is a step up. Next would be the AT120E, which is part of a family of AT carts with the same body size, so that styli are interchangeable between them. So, for example, you could have an AT120E cartridge body, but put an ATN150Sa Shibata stylus on it. There are line contact options as well.

Grado, Shure, and Nagaoka (to a degree) are usually characterized as having a warm sound, and Audio Technicas as being bright. This is evident in their respective frequency response curves. Just pick your flavor!
    Thanks!

I have the AT95E & the AT120EB. I prefer the Grado & the Nagaoka on the AT-LP3WH.

On the Pioneer PL-7, I tried the AT120EB & an ADC Series III and I really like the ADC.

I guess it all comes down to what works well with your setup & what sound signature you prefer :)

HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Options

I just want to clarify that this 'table, the AT-LP3WH, is not made by Hanpin (not that I'm aware of anyway) but the AT-LP60 is a Hanpin product.

• halo
    Options
    I've got the Grado in there while playing Tattoo You and my wife likes it better than the AT cart on the LP3WH or the PL-7. I guess the Grado mates well with rock and roll.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    I've got the Grado in there while playing Tattoo You and my wife likes it better than the AT cart on the LP3WH or the PL-7. I guess the Grado mates well with rock and roll.

FWIW, I (still) think that the Grado sound mates well with everything on record.

:)
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I just want to clarify that this 'table, the AT-LP3WH, is not made by Hanpin (not that I'm aware of anyway) but the AT-LP60 is a Hanpin product.
    Thanks for clarifying. I was repeating something I had read, which can be dangerous. I am going to question that source now ;)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    FWIW, I (still) think that the Grado sound mates well with everything on record.
    :)
    It does have a decent spike in the highs, which IMO does sound better than the Shure M97xE with the roll-off. But, the M97 does have stylus upgrade options that many folks say makes a huge difference.

Unfortunately, I have recently ruined a couple of Grado styli while removing them. I guess I should use that little stylus removal tool instead of my clumsy fingers.

In the end, though, I'm personally an AT cart junkie.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Just out curiosity :)
    1) How do "we" know it's not made by Hanpin?
    2) If "we" know it's not Hanpin OEM, who do "we" think (or know) did make it?

http://www.hanpin.com.tw/4_Products_02.html

I'm actually not trying to be a jerk -- I am genuinely curious as to what information would actually be available about this?

Thanks.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    A little more digging revealed that the AT-LP3 is very similar in design to both the Pioneer PL-30-K and the Dual MTR-75, and those are made by Hanpin. The controls are in the same location, and the tonearms and headshells are the same, except for color.

This doesn't detract from it still being a decent entry-level tt for those who want to buy brand-new.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I concur. I don't have the anti-Hanpin virus :)
  • halo
    Options
    A little more digging revealed that the AT-LP3 is very similar in design to both the Pioneer PL-30-K and the Dual MTR-75, and those are made by Hanpin. The controls are in the same location, and the tonearms and headshells are the same, except for color.

This doesn't detract from it still being a decent entry-level tt for those who want to buy brand-new.

I believe, then, that the Denon 300F is another clone/Hanpin product. In looking at the reviews of the Denon 300F and the Pioneer PL-30-K, they have issues maintaining a constant and accurate level of speed. This does not bode well for the AT-LP3WH. I'm not saying that the LP3WH will develop speed issues but it does appear to be a problem common to the 'tables that share this design. I'm glad I didn't get rid of the PL-7.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I agree about the Denon DP-300F being another Hanpin. Sadly, I think this is the norm in that price range anymore. Your PL-7 might outlast them all.