New 2b's

Options
Picked up a nice set of 2b's last night. The came up on CL reasonably close and for a fair price. Nice condition too. I had been planning on veneering my 2a's but when these came up it was a no brainer. Better looking speakers with more potential for not much more than the cost of veneering. I already have Blackhole 5, hurricane nuts, spikes and damping for the woofer baskets. I will move the RDO-194's over for the moment, TL latter. I have to order a neutrik connector, no sda interconnect, and binding posts to get them up and running. I may have to wait a couple of weeks to do the recap but it will happen soon. These are a definite improvement asthetically over the 2a. Can't wait to get them rocking.

gbxd9tob56lj.jpg

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Nice speakers! I love my 2Bs although they are the studio edition and I like the end caps on these much better but I got mine for a great price and wouldn't trade them for the world.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    I think you're gonna love them once the update is done!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • try1256
    try1256 Posts: 26
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    I think you're gonna love them once the update is done!

Oh yea. I had recapped the 2a's and it made a pretty huge difference. The TL mod on these seems to be the thing to do.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Love my little 1C's when the big room is in use. Since only the Pin is active on the Pin/Blade I made a nice interconnect with 20' 14ga White CL2 twin lead and two high quality RCA connects simply soldered both wire to the RCA plugs mandrel type (tight fit) center pin, broke off the outer ground so that the pin would go all the way in.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • try1256
    Options
    Got the spikes on, speak on connector install and discovered the polyfill had dropped down. Pushed up where it belonged and bass response improved considerably. Big improvement in soundstage with the speakon too. I made a makeshift sda cable with rca connectors and some 14 ga speaker wire while I was waiting for the neutriks to arrive. . It worked but is much better now. I think I will do the black hole 5, basket damping and hurricane nuts next. I have to order another 20uF cap for the crossover. I am going to pull the 12uF, 2-20uF and mills resistors out of the 2a's since they have only been in them a few months. Should be nice and burned in.
  • codycatalist
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How much of a difference did the spikes make for you? I have been thinking of adding some as mine are on carpet but I have the studio** version where I have to take off the wooden platform and drill holes.

Didn't want to go through the effort if it wasn't worth it.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • try1256
    Options
    It helps keep them planted firmly. No rocking. Bass is tighter and plentiful. I got mine on ebay fo $30 set of 8.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Hmm, maybe I will do some outriggers for the spikes.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    How much of a difference did the spikes make for you? I have been thinking of adding some as mine are on carpet but I have the studio** version where I have to take off the wooden platform and drill holes.

I did it to a Studio pair. After you remove the riser be sure to fill the holes to prevent air leaks. Use 2" tall spikes. One inch to make up for the riser and the other inch to bring the tweeters closer to ear level.

Well worth the effort.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I did it to a Studio pair. After you remove the riser be sure to fill the holes to prevent air leaks. Use 2" tall spikes. One inch to make up for the riser and the other inch to bring the tweeters closer to ear level.

Well worth the effort.

I take your advice and run with it ha. What did you fill the holes with? Anything particular to wood or would Loctite work?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I used a wood epoxy, but Loctite should be fine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• try1256
    Options
    I finally put the hurricane nuts, BH 5 and damping for the speaker baskets in. When I installed the BH 5 and basket damping in the SDA 2a's, I didn't hear a distinct improvement. With the 2b's, the difference was much easier to hear. Tightened up everything. I did the right speaker last night and when it was complete, I plugged it in with the un-modded left. Pretty big difference, I wasn't sure I was going to like it as the left side seemed to have a bit more life to it without the damping. With both modded, it all comes together. Bass notes are much more defined and distinct. It is interesting doing the mods at different times and hearing what each contributes. The sonicap 20 uF's and 5.8 uF's have arrived and as soon as the RDO 198's show up, I will rebuild the crossovers. I also ordered some DH Labs t-14 speaker wire. I have heard nothing but good things about it and I was very impressed with my DH Labs power cables. Can't wait to get it all together.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On my sda2a i drilled a hole from the inside out and used the spikes like Jesse is always providing a link for. Big at the top and tall.
    My bolts were very tight through the hole plus i used a proper bolt size large flat washer inside for better support.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    What did you fill the holes with? Anything particular to wood or would Loctite work?
    "Loctite" makes a hundred different products. WHICH ONE are you talking about?

Even within the PowerGrab family, there's multiple products. I count ten in this web page:
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/construction-adhesives.shtml

Recommended part numbers would be good.
  • try1256
    Options
    Update: Still waiting on the tweeters. The DH Labs T-14 came yesterday. I terminated them with Audioquest BFA/Banana's. Really cleaned up the sound vs. my DIY stuff. Sounded a bit recessed at first but after about an hour, they started opening up. I think they are a very good product, especially for the price.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    What did you fill the holes with? Anything particular to wood or would Loctite work?
    "Loctite" makes a hundred different products. WHICH ONE are you talking about?

Even within the PowerGrab family, there's multiple products. I count ten in this web page:
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/construction-adhesives.shtml

Recommended part numbers would be good.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-Multipurpose-Adhesive/999916313?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Paint-_-ConstructionAdhesives-_-999916313:LOCTITE&CAWELAID=&kpid=999916313&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1850&k_clickID=6b12e9f3-ccad-47bd-8896-2e2411f86d04&gclid=CJGjhcyg0dMCFQt_fgodcR0M4g

I figure this is damn near the only Loctite people usually use around here considering it is the recommended product for the magnet shift.

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited May 2017
    Options