So far so good...

Options
So I've replaced by R30/R15/CSR setup.

I ended up getting the S55 and S10s in. I'm still waiting on the S35. After listening to the S55s for about an hour, call me impressed. I've got them hooked up to a Yammy HTR-5840 receiver. One thing to note is that these are much heavier and quite a bit larger than the R30s. I'm actually glad I didn't get the S60 because the tweeter would have been a little high for our listening position.

For music only, they produce plenty of bass and fullness in stereo mode without my Klipsch RW-12d on and the speakers turned to large. They are a tad brighter than my R30s, but they are also much more detailed. For example, some of the fainter nuanced cybals in DMB were much more prevelant than they were in the R30s. The mids aren't quite as muddy, especially when given a little juice, compared to the R30s, however, they are a little bit more subdued than what I'd prefer. These haven't broken in yet, so maybe the mids will get a little more lively. I'm still trying to get them to integrate with the Sub.

Comments

• andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Options
    @dsharpe That sounds like a sweet setup: congrats on the new gear! I'm sure they'll only get better as they break-in.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Congrat on the new speakers.

Dialing in your sub will be the hard part. Took me almost two weeks to get my settings for my HSU dialed in to match my S60.

These Signatures are such a sweet speaker.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    oh yeah they get nicer by the day.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Congrats and enjoy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dsharpe
    dsharpe Posts: 5
    Options
    So I did get the S35 in yesterday. Set everything up last night.
    When listening to the S35 right at the speaker, I'm guessing its a 2.5 speaker as well? It sounded odd. Almost like the right two woofers were mids, the far right bass, and all three on the left were bass. Any thoughts?

At any rate, I'll wait for some break in time, but I noticed two things at normal listening. First is that it doesn't sound quite as full as my CSR even though frequency response is about the same. The other thing I noticed was that it was subdued compared to the S55. Looking at the SPL characteristics, the S35 is 2db down. I ended up pushing the center volume a little on my HTR and that seemed to even things out a bit. I'll give it more time and experimentation.
  • thatdrummer
    Options
    I listened to the s35 and did not think it had enough bottom in so I went with the s30 and I'm so glad I did. I have had it for about 3weeks and its sounds great. how do the s35 sound now that you have had it for a while.