More vinyl album reproducer insanity (ummm, make that "inanity")

Options
Saw this Somewhere Else.
Another 21st Century Vinyl Boomlet Lifestyle Record Player.
I will be glad when the vinyl nostalgia/renaissance bubble bursts.

https://www.seed.hym-originals.com/eng-seed-white

16729276_1846090062340593_8674966234981026690_n.jpg

jeJGnmK.jpg

I see that, and all I can think of is the little Newcomb record players in school that used to play the records to go along with film strips (anyone remember those?!?). The records had the narration, with a little beep after each slide to let the A/V nerd know when to switch to the next slide in the film strip.

NewcombAV-10b.jpg

:)

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I see that, and all I can think of is the little Newcomb record players in school that used to play the records to go along with film strips (anyone remember those?!?). The records had the narration, with a little beep after each slide to let the A/V nerd know when to switch to the next slide in the film strip.

NewcombAV-10b.jpg

:)

Yes, I date back that far and then some :/

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    I wonder if they are putting magnetic cartridge or ceramic in them? I remember as a kid loaning a few lp to friends and them coming back unlistenable due to their all in one stereos with ceramic cartridges.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,094
    edited April 2017
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I wonder if they are putting magnetic cartridge or ceramic in them? I remember as a kid loaning a few lp to friends and them coming back unlistenable due to their all in one stereos with ceramic cartridges.

In terms of the titular "Seed" -- judging by the looks of the arm, and the ad copy, which says they use a "Technica" [ sic ] cartridge] it's a magnetic.

It doesn't look like junk, but the all-in-one ethos and the price (although if you act now , it's 40% off!) seem to work at cross-purposes with its intent.
    Maybe they're just focused on being compact.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Why would you call me a nerd? It was quite the honor to be the one with the clicker that day. I usually wasn't asked to do it more than once due to zoning out, missing the beep and getting us out of sync.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It is a term of honor. I, too, was the A/V nerd.
    Indeed, when I was in graduate school, at the absolute end of the days of 16 mm film projection, once in a while -- when I was working in the lab -- someone from the office would come in and ask me to go down to the lecture hall and help someone with the ol' Bell & Howell Film-O-Sound. I was the only person in the department, by then, who (still) knew how to thread a sound film projector :)

It's a badge to be worn proudly.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,156
    Options
    I had one of these as a kid. My Mum knew a woman who worked in the EMI factory, and used to get pre-release singles. I would open our front door, point the record player into the street and drive the neighborhood kids nuts that I had records they couldn't buy yet. Best one was the Beatles, "She Loves You" I was 11.

5iy2jq6u19pg.jpg

• mhardy6647
    Options
    whoa -- you are "ole" ;)
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,156
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    whoa -- you are "ole" ;)

And you're 25, I guess. :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    well, I wasn't 11 when "She Loves You" was released (in the UK) ;)

Let's see -- I was 10 years old when the "White Album" was released :)
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    Options
    Yeah I have some some bad tables being pushed with this bubble....
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeah I have some some bad tables being pushed with this bubble....

Well -- if I interpret your prose correctly -- there is, of course, some upside to bubbles.