Amp for RTiA7s

Options
Hey all -- I'm looking for a decent 200wpc amp for my RTiA7s. Ideally under $500 used. I was looking at various Parasound / B&Ks but not seeing anything in that price range. However, I may be able to get an older Carver M-400 -- would that be a good pairing? I may need to replace some parts, so that would end up costing ~$400 I'd guess when all is said and done. I'm looking for something warm/neutral like the Parasound/B&K, as I could see these sounding bad with a bad pairing.

Any advice is appreciated!

*FYI I'm running them on a Denon x3300 right now with an 80hz crossover (it has 5.1 preouts). It's ok for now, but the A7s definitely need a bit more juice.

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Would you consider a Hafler XL280? Would you consider 2?! 2nd in need of repair -
    BOTH for $225 plus shipping? PayPal only please.

BTW closed on my "new" place week ago today so I'm tied up w/moving... 25-30 minutes drive between old & new. If you don't mind a bit of a wait...

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • adrift02
    adrift02 Posts: 25
    Options
    Sorry I don't want to invest in anything under 200wpc.
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    I understand...

A page 2 bottom line: two XL280s in mono, will push 400 watts into 8 ohms, 600 watts into 4* ohms. They're stable into 1 ohm (560wpc) in stereo**, 2 ohms mono**.
    * the 'A7 is 4 ohms below 125hz
    ** I wouldn't risk it

http://www.hafler.com/pdf/archive/XL-280_amp_man.pdf

My best in your quest, Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • adrift02
    Options
    Ok three questions on the XL280:
    1) Is it on the warm side / will it pair well with the A7's mid/high emphasis
    2) Will 180wpc be enough for the A7 if I want to run them Large (only about 12 feet away, but the room is wide and not the best acoustically)
    2) what's wrong with the 2nd and how much would it cost to fix, do you think?
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2017
    Options
    adrift02 wrote: »
    Ok three questions on the XL280:
    1) Is it on the warm side / will it pair well with the A7's mid/high emphasis?
    Yes!
    2) Will 180wpc be enough for the A7 if I want to run them Large (only about 12 feet away,
    I'm inclined to say yes though frankly I never tried the 280 full range on my A7s. Please bear w/me.

Back in the late '80s, I paid a visit to a golden eared audiophile friend to do a sound comparison. He own large pair of electrostatics. He preferred the 280* over a previously owned Sumo. We A/B it* against my Belles 1, a warm-ish, but robust 100WPC. We agreed the 280 equalled it's bass & bettered it mids and above.

Finally I can say, full range* the Belles lifted my 7s off the ground in 15 X 17 room connected to a living room/kitchen/dining room open floor plan.
    * no sub
    ...not the best acoustically)
    As in bright? Odd shape? Not important, just curious.
    3) What's wrong with the 2nd
    one channel no output
    how much would it cost to fix, do you think?
    Discovered over Christmas - no idea. Haven't had time to look into repair, &, as I mentioned previously, in the middle of moving.

At this point if you said "I'll keep looking" I'd understand. Shipping for two amps, one a glorified paper weight right now, $$$...

But the possibilities. 400+ watts dual mono. Stable into 2 ohms. Very few amps are stable below 4 ohms.

Tony
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Where are you located ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think you need 200 watts per channel or where you came up with that number for a pair of Polk audio RTIA7 speakers.
    Your Budget of $500 you should be able to find a wealth of great amps but I don't see any reason to restrict yourself at holding a standard of 200 watts.
    It's not really the Watts that really make the difference it's current. You can have a 50 watt amp sound incredible and a 200 watt amp sound like ****.

I would strongly consider picking up one of the following used amps on the market.

B&K ST140. This amp is amazing and sound incredible. It will absolutely destroy your Denon internal amps for every possible reason. This would be my first choice with a $500 limit.
    Rotel RB1070. Another incredibly awesome sounding amp that would show off those nice RTIA7 speakers. I love this amp and it has the ability to play anything you can throw at it.
    NAD T series amps or anything from them over the years 2 channel. They are remarkable affordable and very strong under rated amps you should be able to score a killer 2 channel amp for a great price. Probably under your limit.

Goog luck
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • adrift02
    Options
    Acoustically there are a number of problems. I'm set up at a right angle at the end of a long room that connects to the kitchen, so the right speaker is in a corner against a wall with a glass fireplace, and the other side is open. The other speaker is in front of a glass French door. My couch/listening area is against a wall and the speakers are only 1.5ft away from the other wall. Floor is wood/tile. It sounds noticeably worse than my carpeted condo and I don't have many options to do anything about it.

I misread the wpc (145, not 180), but may be interested in running two of these mono. Does the second one still run fine mono or does the dead channel output affect that?

Anyway, I'm not pulling the trigger on anything until after the 15th at the earliest (sounds like nether of us are in a big hurry), so I'll keep looking but am still considering these as an option -- I appreciate the info.
  • adrift02
    Options
    I'm in the Seattle area.

200wpc was just a target -- I know lower wattage can be just as good (for example, receivers are crap regardless of the rating), but I don't know enough about this to really be able to say a 100wpc amp would be enough unless it was explained/proven to me. Also, I'm not looking to buy again for a while, so want to fully meet the A7's power needs -- hence the conservative minimum.

Thanks for the recs, Mantis, I'll look into those options.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk Adrift02.

I always recommend 200wpc, just because for the most part that is the sweet spot where just about anyone can hear a clear and distinct improvement in the speakers that are being powered with that much.

The guys always want to toss in the amperage equation, but the plain fact of the matter is that all the product specs list the WPC, very few especially in the receiver specs do they list amperage. They also leave out the fact that the more speakers you add the less power is going to all the speakers.

You have the right idea, buy it once and move on to other improvements, and it is a piece of gear that can be kept throughout the whole process to power any speakers you have now and in the future.

This is a constant running debate on this subject here. But my feeling is that I would rather have and not need it rather than need it and not have it. It's nice knowing that any speakers I have, they are all being powered to their full potential. I'm just practical that way.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • adrift02
    Options
    Adding a couple options I found locally:
    -B&K ST-202 for $400
    -Hafler DH-500 for $375

Thoughts on those two? The Hafler seems to have a following, but a "warm" amp like a B&K sounds ideal for the type of sound I like (and how the A7s sound currently).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    The B&K
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• adrift02
    Options
    Also tossing the B&K EX-442 into the mix ($400 shipped). It hasn't had anything replaced, but is in good condition. Haven't heard back re: the other B&K, and the EX-442 seems like a good option, though from what I've read the price is on the high side...
  • adrift02
    Options
    So I pulled the trigger on that B&K EX-442. I think (hope) it's going to be a great match. Quick question re: volume:

--I currently cap my Denon X3300 at -20. I have pushed it to -10 for testing, but I'm pretty sure that was hitting hearing damage territory / 90-100dB. Given the receiver's rating (105 2ch, but weak amps I assume), do you guys think -10 is safe for the speakers? I always worry about clipping, regardless of whether I want to push -10 or not. For the record I've never heard distortion at that max, and this is all calibrated to whatever Denon's reference level is using Audyssey.

--Once I have the B&K I assume I can push -10 easily without risking clipping / damage to the speakers. However, what would you consider safe with ample power / an external amp like this that can push 200w a channel? Again, I honestly doubt I'd ever want to go beyond -10 unless I was outside, and definitely not past 0 for any reason, but just trying to get an idea of what you guys plan around.

Thanks for the info. Again, I know these are estimates and vary by setup. My phone reads ~80dB at -20 from my listening position if that's helpful.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase. Let's put it this way, your ears will give up before the amp does!

What you should notice is that you will have greater clarity and more bass across the board with both music and vocals.

This is the true benefit of having a powerful amp, having it be able to go louder is secondary to the benefit of everything else that will improve.

Your speakers will now have the power to operate to their full potential no matter where the volume knob is.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • adrift02
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »

Did I miss something? I thought you told @gp4jesus that you weren't going to pull the trigger on anything until the 15th at the earliest.

That was the plan until my tax return came through, lol. And based on what I've read, B&K / Parasound pair very well with these so just went for it.
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Congrats! May you have endless listening pleasure
  • adrift02
    Options
    Hey all one more quick question. I moved my setup into a bigger room with space for 5.1 / surrounds. I was going to pick up a couple A1s or A3s (place them 90 degrees from head), but my buddy has a couple ceiling speakers he'll give and install for free (he's an electrician). They are Current Audio BCS65s. How much does matching matter for 5.1 surrounds? Should I go for that and save ~$400? He can get me anything wholesale...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Surrounds not that important for HT systems IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Get the A3s. Mine are up high, just behind, and pointing towards the hot seat.

I started w/A1s. The 3s brought big improvements. Spacial & transpancy. And because they more easily dig deeper than the A1s they have more impact than the A1s.

I XO'd the 3s @ 80hz; the 1s seemed to prefer 100 - nevermind THX. Then again I demand more than some.

All channels should match, if you're striving for "immersive" HT. That is all speakers should be from the same brand/series. IME the newer Codecs demand more from the surrounds.

Tony
  • adrift02
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks, both. Just to toss this out there, my buddy also has Triad bronze in-wall 4 LCRs that he will give me + install if I want. I'm definitely on the fence because like Tony said I feel like matching matters, but just not sure if it's worth a $400+ dollar difference being that surrounds pretty much just handle random noises eh? I'd also probably want another amp for the A3s right? OR would the Denon's "95wps" be enough?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    The most important timbre match is the front 3.

The surrounds are for ambient sound, and not nearly as important. If you like the sound of the free speakers, get them.
  • adrift02
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    The most important timbre match is the front 3.

The surrounds are for ambient sound, and not nearly as important. If you like the sound of the free speakers, get them.

Yeah... only issue is i can't demo until holes have been cut. And I think the in-wall Triads are out -- they are 4ohm and I dont want to buy another amp right now.
  • adrift02
    Options
    Hey guys -- didn't want to create a new thread so asking here: when positioning speakers away from the front wall, do you measure from the woofer or back of speaker cabinet? I moved my entire setup to a bigger/better room, and if I measure from the woofer I'm 3' away, but more like 1.5' from the back of the cabinet. I need to do listening tests anyway once I get the amp tomorrow, so will mess around with distances, but from what I've read the RTi A7s like to be >2' out? At this stage, my setup forms an ~8' equilateral triangle with my LP ~38% away from the back wall (18x14' room), so hopefully this is ideal. Before I mounted the TV and shifted things back a bit (TV was too close), I had a 6' equilateral triangle going and it sounded decent. Anyway, not sure if these pics help but here's the new room.36r9gh9amp8i.jpg
    ru30e8v24fq3.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    You measure from the back of the cabinet.

Judging by the room you definitely want to go with in wall or ceiling speakers. As mentioned it's mostly ambient sound, so timbre matching isn't a real concern.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• adrift02
    Options
    Thanks for response F1nut. My buddy should be able to install the Triad OmniChannel6 in-ceiling surrounds he gave me in a couple weeks.

I just received the B&K EX-442 amp yesterday. Only had a chance to test for 20 minutes, but so far it's sounding great. I still haven't turned it up past -10... I think I'm supposed to be able to safely hit "reference levels" (0db) with the amp, but it sort of freaks me out after being cautious for so long -- think I'd be ok to test at that level?

Also, I'm curious how you guys manage power amps with no standby and no pre-amp trigger -- my only option right now is to manually switch the rocker when I want to turn it off and on. Not a big deal for me, but my wife will be annoyed having to walk over and do that (everything is remote / voice activated right now). I'm also hesitant to leave it on all day/night. What are my options? I could see a remote power strip / surge protector working, but read it's usually a bad idea to plug a power amp into those as it dampens the dynamics. I heard there's mods for these too -- maybe that would be my best option (install a standby?).
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Furman MiniPort 15 or 20. Don't pay more than ~$60 shipped. You'll need a $5 relay to make it work. Check my sig - I have 4 MP-20s aiding in power distribution.

Tony
  • adrift02
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Furman MiniPort 15 or 20. Don't pay more than ~$60 shipped. You'll need a $5 relay to make it work. Check my sig - I have 4 MP-20s aiding in power distribution.

Tony

Thanks! I can only find a MiniPort 20 for $65 shipped. Does this work via a trigger out?
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yup, the "20" is my preference. Call Furman @ 1 (877) 486-4738, Pacific time zone, for connection details. They'll suggest a resistor* across two of the ports in front. Hope that* works for you.

That* didn't work w/my Outlaw 975 so I used DPDT relay instead, about $6/7 at an auto parts store. I'll try to remember to reply w/details tonight just in case.

Tony

• F1nut
    Options
    Just leave it on.

President of Club Polk