Polk S60s Comments

I'm new to this forum but not to audio. I have been looking at getting some new speakers for our media room. I have great amps and processor but want to move from Ascend 340SEs to some floorstanding. I've owned many speakers over the years but never Polks. Looking at the S60s but also at Chane-A5RX and Emotiva-T1, among others. I know this is a Polk forum but I am looking for honest objective feedback on the 60s. Compared to other speakers, compared to other Polks, etc. We are about 50% for music and movies so I do want something musical.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk Cgolf70.

Here is my review of the Polk S60s. They are terrific speakers.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176622/review-of-polk-signature-series-s60-speakers#latest
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited April 2017
    The S60s seem to have hit the mark, but if you can demo a pair (of S60s or any others you're considering) definitely do that. Not sure if they are available where you live; I still cannot listen to a pair in a store without ordering them :neutral: .

You may also want to consider used, Polks RTi or RTiA line of speakers are very good for HT, and decent for music provided you match them with neutral/warm sounding gear. Some pretty good deals can be had on them if you're patient.

Welcome aboard, but keep a close eye on your wallet, we are very adept at emptying
    them here.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Over the other 2 speakers mentioned, I'd choose the Polks every day and twice on Sundays.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cgolf70
    cgolf70 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback. Great review!!
  • cgolf70
    I just found out that our local BB has the 60s so I can at least listen to them there. Not ideal but better than not hearing at all.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    cgolf70 wrote: »
    I just found out that our local BB has the 60s so I can at least listen to them there. Not ideal but better than not hearing at all.

Really? Polk folks told us that those would only be available in boutique stores and online, not in Best Buy...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Really? Polk folks told us that those would only be available in boutique stores and online, not in Best Buy...

That is for Walnut.

I'v had my S60 for a few weeks or so, I like them much better than my RTi8.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    mrloren wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

That is for Walnut.

I'v had my S60 for a few weeks or so, I like them much better than my RTi8.

No, I'm pretty sure @D2Lo said specifically that the s60s would not be in most stores. I don't think @cfrizz was able to hear them beforehand.

I know best buy has all the rest, and of I've been wrong before so that that FWIW...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited April 2017
    I had Ascend 340SE's across the front for a number of years. They are good speakers. I think the S60 would be more of a lateral move than an upgrade. You should be looking at the LsiM line.
  • rooftop59
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I had Ascend 340SE's across the front for a number of years. They are good speakers. I think the S60 would be more of a lateral move than an upgrade. You should be looking at the LsiM line.

Yea those ascends look a bit similar to the NHT M5s that I ran LCR in the bedroom for a while and really liked. LSiM703s are definitely an upgrade, and will be with me for many, many years...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • cgolf70
    I just left BB and they did not have the S60s but did have a pair of S55s. They have them in the store but don't put them in their Magnolia shop because they don't meet the Magnolia "QC" build quality. The cabinet did sound very hollow to me and I wasn't too pleased with that but I will continue to check them out.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2017
    The build quality of these speakers are outstanding and I believe I posted pics in my thread. They are not hollow and very solid.

I don't think Polk would know how to make a lightweight speaker to save its life.

BTW, The Head Designer for Polk stated that the S60s were not going to be placed in BB & other big retailers because they wanted them displayed in higher end but smaller dealerships.

This is probably so that they could be test drived properly. It's nearly impossible to get a good demo in some place like Best Buy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cgolf70
    I agree that you can't get a decent demo in a big box store. I really just wanted to see what they looked like, touch them and at least listen to them. They did have the 55s but not the 60s.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    My local best buy still does not have any of the Signatures, all the said was they could order them.

@D2Lo was kind enough to give me a good listen. I was sold on them in 30 seconds of listening to them. The S60 are a very good speaker and great for the cost. I replaced my Rti4 in my bedroom setup with S20 and oh man the wife wants to watch movies there more than downstairs now. Polk hit a home run with the Signature line.

I am going to do a Star Wars marathon this weekend oh yeah some Rogue One in the middle.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    I haven't listen to the Ascends or Chanes and do not have the depth of knowledge some of these folks do but I love my S60s. I purchased 3 pair of towers in 3 months and kept the 60s. Listening to them now and hope my neighbors enjoy them as much as I do :D
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    DSkip wrote: »
    Good to see you post Ray. I've been wondering how things were working out for you.

Hey Skip. All is well, settling into my rig. Need to give you a holler sometime in the next week or so.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables