SDA-CRS (not the +) broken binding post

I bought a pair of SDA-CRS that were in excellent shape but one of the binding posts was sheared off. I have searched the forums but couldn't find a step by step or video of how to replace these. I have never soldered anything and don't know a lot about crossovers and speaker internals so I need a little help.

Is there a way to do this without soldering? I took the crossover/binding post cup out and it looks like there is a red wire coming from what looks to be a crossover coil that connects to the board.

I also need some recommendations for replacement posts. I would really like to put original back in so if anybody has some I might be interested in purchasing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shawn
My first exposure to Polk was back in 1986 or so. Walked into Audio Craft in Westlake, OH and a salesman was playing Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast through a set of SDA-SRS's...LOUD. Hooked ever since.

Current Setup:
  • Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS 2.3TL (mains), Polk M5 (center), Polk SDA-1C's (rears), Definitive Technology Reference Supercube sub
  • A/V: Sunfire TGIV preamp, Oppo DV980h SACD/DVDA, Panasonic BDT110 Bluray, Zidoo X9S music server, Kenwood GE-4030 EQ, Carver TFM-6CB (bridged for center channel), Adcom 5400 (rears), B&K Components Reference 200.2 (front/mains).

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Do yourself a huge favor and replace all of them with ones of higher quality. You can buy Cardas or Vampire at Sonic Craft.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Do you happen to know the specific models or certain types/sizes to look for? Looks to be a large selection. Also, do you know if this swap can be done without soldering?
    My first exposure to Polk was back in 1986 or so. Walked into Audio Craft in Westlake, OH and a salesman was playing Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast through a set of SDA-SRS's...LOUD. Hooked ever since.

Current Setup:
    • Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS 2.3TL (mains), Polk M5 (center), Polk SDA-1C's (rears), Definitive Technology Reference Supercube sub
    • A/V: Sunfire TGIV preamp, Oppo DV980h SACD/DVDA, Panasonic BDT110 Bluray, Zidoo X9S music server, Kenwood GE-4030 EQ, Carver TFM-6CB (bridged for center channel), Adcom 5400 (rears), B&K Components Reference 200.2 (front/mains).
  • F1nut
    I'm sorry, it appears they stopped carrying the Vampire binding posts.

These are nice ones, http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/cardas-ccgg-binding-post-p-1387

You will have to solder the wires to them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Those look nice. I will look into getting them.

Thanks for you help!

Current Setup:
  • F1nut
    There are other cheaper options available, but they tend to be plated brass. The Cardas are plated copper. Some of the really cheap ones do not require soldering, since you brought that up, but aren't any better than the stock versions.

President of Club Polk

• The soldering I am worried about is when I seem to have to remove the crossover from the cup to get to the back of the posts. There is a red wire soldered to the pcb board that is also wrapped around the cup (crossover coil?)

Current Setup:
  • mj752sklurp0.jpg

Current Setup:
  • yp38rp5zhup1.jpg

Current Setup:
  • Hard to see in the pic but it goes through the black cup and through the first pcb and is soldered.

Current Setup:
  • F1nut
    That is your large inductor. You can take the crossover board off by removing it from the 4 standoffs. You should then be able to move the board to the side where the inductor lead is soldered to it. You want to be extremely careful not to break the lead. Or simply desolder the lead, remove the board and you'll have easy access to the posts.

President of Club Polk

• Thanks for the guidance F1nut. I may try messing with the pcb on a junk dvd player I have sitting around to learn how to solder.

Current Setup:
  • F1nut
    It's not difficult, a nice pencil type is best. Do not use a gun. You'll need a solder sucker as well. The spring loaded type work much better than the bulb.

You could see if someone here would be willing to help out by naming your closest town.

President of Club Polk

• I live in Avon, OH. About 20 min west of Cleveland

Current Setup:
  • F1nut
    I'm 8 hours away, sorry.

Hopefully someone will speak up that is close to you.

President of Club Polk

• I found another forum member by 'accident' on eBay who lives about 2 miles from me. He replaced the broken binding post for practically nothing and now I'm enjoying these big sounding little speakers.

Current Setup: