Monoprice's new Engineered and Patented Monolith RCA on order

Comments

• jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 2,800
    Unless it's value engineering.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,460
    I think it's "Ultimate Engineering"
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,241
    edited April 6
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Looks like 95 percent of those cables is plastic, cotton fiber stuffing, and foil. Sort of like Monster Cable made a killing with. At least they did not call them a Reference product, just their Ultimate. I thought Monoprice was all about engineering in audio cables being a waste of money.
    So Reference is above Ultimate in the marketing jargon lexicon? Just want to be sure that I am properly calibrated, you know?

PS -- nice to see you posting over here.
    Unless it's value engineering.

Perhaps maybe even "Muntzing"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntzing

In seriousness (well, sort of) -- I mean, if they're $15 wires... how bad could they be? Even if they're audibly indistinguishable from the $5 kind, the aesthetic improvement is probably worth a sawbuck. The price of the Ethereal cables is identical, it appears, based on the accessories4less link.

Maybe a shoot-out would be appropriate.

185342.jpg
    4856.Jpg

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,460
    Yes, for $15 a pair I bet they are excellent............hardly Ultimate I'd guess. They certainly look like they will be better than any of those cheapies included with gear these days.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
    Heck, maybe I'll start a hifi company and leverage truth in marketing with my first product:

Penultimate Interconnects.
    Not Ultimate, but the next best thing.

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,761
    Marketing kids....the words "Monolith" and "Ultimate", catches more fish than actual product quality. Plus the price makes them "Giant killers". I'm pretty sure Audioholics will be singing their praises soon. Time to sell your MIT cables and buy these, pocket the change. While your at it, sell those Pass amps too because Monoprice has Giant killer amps as well.

Which btw, I just noticed the emoji with the eyes rolling is gone. I'm on top of things for sure huh. WTF ?
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    tonyb wrote: »
    Marketing kids....the words "Monolith" and "Ultimate", catches more fish than actual product quality. Plus the price makes them "Giant killers". I'm pretty sure Audioholics will be singing their praises soon. Time to sell your MIT cables and buy these, pocket the change. While your at it, sell those Pass amps too because Monoprice has Giant killer amps as well.

Note my current avatar is "Monolithic" :)
    Which btw, I just noticed the emoji with the eyes rolling is gone. I'm on top of things for sure huh. WTF ?

2edcf010fad7b4f8bcb44b2020ec7ec8_emojis-eyes-and-need-to-on-eye-roll-emoji-clipart_576-440.jpeg

(Note to self -- do not search Google for 'emoji' again without being prepared for the worst)

;)

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,041
    they look to me like every other RCA ground shield grip of death interconnect I've ever had....
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    they look to me like every other RCA ground shield grip of death interconnect I've ever had....

I once found a Marantz integrated amp on the freebie table at the semi-annual NEARC antque radio/audio fleamarket. It worked absolutely fine -- but it had one little issue.

10068178695_b92f928918_b.jpgMarantz PD25 7 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The shields on the "CD" input RCAs were -- gone. Not there. :pensive:

10068178705_5609f33ac5_b.jpgMarantz PD25 6 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,245
    A victim of the infamous Monster turbine death grip cables no doubt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Ayuh.

Obvious the dude didn't have a TT. LOL
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'll let you know if they have a death grip...
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,041
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'll let you know if they have a death grip...

Please do
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,907
    In my experience that type of RCA connector design is never good enough. They tend to either be too loose and fall off or too tight and mar the surface of ground shields on components or worse. The RCA connector end on the Ethereal cable does look different, almost like a Canare/Taversoe crimp design. If it is Canare it's way better than the connector Monoprice seems to be using. The barrel is the same thing, but it seems the wire to connector is soldered based on the description. Soldered doesn't necessarily mean it is better.

In that price range, I'd still go for Blue Jeans Cable RCA cables. They get the job done and don't cost much.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Pioneer Elite SC-97; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 105D; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Samsung UHD 4K Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Parasound A21; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Marantz SA8004; Music Hall MMF7 and PS Audio NuWave phono pre; Technics SL-1200MKII and PS Audio GCPH phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Anthem Pre-2L SE pre and Parasound HCA-1500A amp; Squeezebox Touch; Wyred4Sound DAC2; MIT S3 cables
  • Mr. SharpeMr. Sharpe Posts: 1,025
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Reverse engineered?

Upside down engineered.
    2 Channel
    Marantz UD-7007 Cd Player
    Parasound Halo P5 Preamplifier
    Marantz ST-7001 Radio Tuner
    Parasound HCA-1500A Power Amplifier
    Polk Audio Monitor 10B's

5 channel
    Sony Bravia 32" LED
    Yamaha RX-a3010 Receiver
    Marantz UD-7007 Blu-Ray player
    Klipsch RB-61 Main Speakers
    Klipsch RB-41 Surround Speakers
  • From a meeting I was in,
    " not value engineering but engineering with value."
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 735
    ^^^^ Must have been someone from Marketing
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,046
    They do look purty and would go with certain room decors. The WAF (wife acceptance factor) s/b fairly high. The 3ft cable costs $18.48 at Amazon. That's about the same as it costs for two to go to the Five Guys burger joint near my home (plus another $5 or so). I could use some high tech well engineered and patented high cholesterol today. Five Guys dices and use fresh russet potatoes in their fries, almost as good as In n Out Burgers. French fries cooked in fresh peanut oil are fantastic.

Some on this forum are not too fond of In n Out burgers, I am not in that minority. Make mine Animal style fries. :)
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, RTA 11T X2, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,126
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I thought Monoprice was all about engineering in audio cables being a waste of money.

Makes you wonder why telephone companies spend, and have spent, so much money on cable engineering research...and all they are passing is a voice band signal.

"So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • Yep2Yep2 Posts: 790
    Rekon you won't know how they sound till you try em.
    Isn't that the whole cable argument past & present?
  • Absolute_ZeroAbsolute_Zero Posts: 70
    edited June 14
    BTW the connectors are firm but they don't have a death grip. I picked up the AQ Evergreen from my local BB and I can't tell any audible difference.

• msgmsg Posts: 3,475
    monepolk wrote: »
    ^^^^ Must have been someone from Marketing
    Or Engineering Managers who think they're better at Marketing than Marketers.
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    I thought Monoprice was all about engineering in audio cables being a waste of money.

Makes you wonder why telephone companies spend, and have spent, so much money on cable engineering research...and all they are passing is a voice band signal.

They aren't passing voice band. They are passing data over the likes of SONET and 40/100GB Ethernet links. They are concerned with not dropping 20 million concurrent phone calls over a single link.
  • dannylightningdannylightning Posts: 214
    it says ultimate performance but you say it is compared to a lower line AQ cable ?
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

it says ultimate performance but you say it is compared to a lower line AQ cable ?

Let's get serious for a second, do you really expect "ultimate performance" in any cable that cost 15 bucks ?

Just my opinion, but nothing Monoprice makes will compare to AQ cables. Just sayin'..matter of fact I'm having a hard time thinking of what can be worse. Not to offend anyone, but ya get what ya pay for as the saying goes.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,210
    Those are carp.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
  • dannylightningdannylightning Posts: 214
    tonyb wrote: »

Let's get serious for a second, do you really expect "ultimate performance" in any cable that cost 15 bucks ?

nope... i ordered a couple things from mono price once. i cant say i liked them very much..

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect