10 year anniversary gift for the better half....

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,317
Hello all,

I'm contemplating gift ideas for Kimmie on our upcoming 10 year anniversary. Yeah, I know we are still new to the marriage game and 10 years isn't "that" special but she's worth everything to me. What did you do? What would you do?

I have my own ideas but you crazy loons on this forum may give me a better idea of what to do. There is no wrong answer, there could be the perfect answer. I may already have it in my head......I don't know. Just throwing the question out there to see what sticks.

Just checking to see if any of you would be willing to share what YOU would do for a woman who is all that and more in your life. I'll give you a hint.....she puts up with my hobby and its expenses (albeit not all of them). I'm quite sure you all know what that hobby is...

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• treitz3
    Options
    Oh dang.

Yeah, that's not quite what I had in mind...

Sorry to hear that bro'.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,262
    Options
    ^^That may certainly be true. :)

But maybe a surprise box, filled with .... kittens ?

78xkcddc4njr.jpg

I'll ask my DIL in the morning what might be a more gooder idea. She has pretty good taste.
    Sal Palooza
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    A Porsche Turbo Carrera
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Options
    John, I know you do not know her....she's the type of woman that would rather drive a Nissan to save money when it comes to purchasing tires. This is Kim.

A Jag, Porsche, Humvee or even a Suburban would just piss her off at the maintenance costs associated. She's more along the lines of a Subaru Outback type of woman. *winks*

Tom
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Day at the spa?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • treitz3
    Options
    LOL......what's in that box MBBL?

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    John, I know you do not know her....she's the type of woman that would rather drive a Nissan to save money when it comes to purchasing tires. This is Kim.

A Jag, Porsche, Humvee or even a Suburban would just piss her off at the maintenance costs associated. She's more along the lines of a Subaru Outback type of woman. *winks*

Tom
    I can get you a good deal on an Outback... B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Options
    From Cali?

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2017
    Options
    From Cali?

100% emission pedal car
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot how F'd up that state was with everything.

John, time to put the sales outfit on. Make it something that Carlos Slim would wear and BS like a MF. Otherwise, you are S out of luck bro'.....

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    From Cali?

Tell me what dealer will take care of the sale for you and I can get a friends and family deal set up for you. Comes out to 400.00 over dead invoice last I checked...

• treitz3
    Options
    Okay, let's take this elsewhere.....I.E.

Offline to the public. I am open to this. I am also open to other aspects that folks would like to throw out. It's about her, not a sale, if you know what I mean...

With all due respect.

Tom
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I bought my wife a custom made diamond eternity band that matches exactly the engagement ring. Fwiw she bought me a Tag Aquaracer.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can get her.......Me...... ;)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Hard to say Tom, we don't know her. From what I gather though, she's not a material girl. So my suggestion would be to go somewhere you both like for a long weekend.

Fly down to Florida and sit your rear ends on the beach, drink foo-foo drinks and eat some good seafood. Sounds like a woman who values time with you more than any material thing you can buy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    ^^^^This sounds like a sound idea, without knowing her. Don't count 10 years as not much in this day and age, if she's everything to you let her know it...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    good suggest those (EXCEPT lightman)
    I gave my first wife a Hamilton...

Flowers and chocolate always work. (in fact send them to her work)
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I like Tony's idea. Wife and I did something similar for our 10th. We spent a week at Wrightsville Beach, NC without the kids and took surfing lessons. It was a blast and hysterical at the same time!something we'll never forget.

Might want to avoid cutting a hole in a box...
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I would take her for a vacation of HER choice for at least a week.... You know what type of vacation she wants without asking.

If she likes Europe then go. If she likes the beach then take her to the favorite place or the one she has been dreaming about for 10 years as you have been supplying your habit with new items.

The point Tom is to do what she wants.

Good luck.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    Options
    I had already thought of bringing our son to Grandma's house and toting her off to our favorite cabin in the mountains of NC. This is the same place I asked for her hand in marriage.

The trip is somewhat of a "given".

I was thinking of something else to really treat her. Maybe a year's massage therapy or....

Good suggestions so far, except for one.

Shut up Russ.

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    If someone else has access to the cabin prior to arrival, have a few extras set up for you, flowers, a table setting etc

Make this cabin trip special
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    Options
    If the cabin trip is something she might enjoy, go for it. I'd suggest being a bit more unpredictable though.....and remember, it's both of yours anniversary, not just hers, so do what both of you might enjoy.

Speaking of which, isn't New Orleans kickin' this time of year ? Go down to the keys in Florida, Fly out to San Fran...visit Napa while your there. Take a short cruise, or visit one of those couples only destinations. Someplace warm and sunny, like your marriage, right ? See, I'm even giving you lines to use. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    If she likes the beach, take her to Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. It's on Maui. I think the Managers name is Mike White, call him and tell him it's your 10 year anniversary and he will work with you on making it a great affordable trip. Just google Ka'anpali Beach Hotel to get more info.

If it sounds interesting, do take the swimming with the sea turtles excursion at Molokini crater thru Aqua Adventues it's was awesome. They do a thing called Snuba, it's like scuba diving but with no tank on your back. The water is so clear at Molokini crater.

Lahaina is a really nice community to visit, lots of shops, eating places, Lua's, lots of cool stuff. It was one of the most relaxing vacations places I ever visited.

We try to get out there every 3-5 years as we enjoy it very much.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Outside the box? When our ten year came around, we had 6 month old twins and a 4 year old, and the queen size Serta spring mattress wasn't cuttin it anymore. So we bought a Tempur-Pedic mattress and a platform be from West Elm. I reinforced the slats so we could go without a box spring, which basically made the platform bed free. My wife LOVES her bed. We have been to a number of nice VRBOs, we both travel for work and stay in some pretty nice hotels, we are always excited to get back home to our bed. Plus, a really good, sturdy, firm mattress is really good for certain activities...

As for the trip idea, I certainly think that's a good one. We've both been all over the world, and our favorite vaca spot remains here: http://www.rockhouse.com/escape/
    All the villas have private little spots to lay out. And a ladder that leads right down into the teal blue water where you can snorkel and see all the way down in many spots. It's gorgeous, calm, and often referred to as the shag house lol. And they have a nice spa that she'll enjoy, my wife and the other couple we were with LOVED their massage. 2 nice restaurants and a pool bar (next to the awesome salt-water infinity pool). And every room has a private outdoor shower. It's very clean and classy, but rustic-chic. This is not a cruise-ship style all-inclusive (no thank you), this is a very quiet, rlaxing, romantic getaway. And there are so many beautiful sites to visit in Jamaica. You might come back addicted to red stripe and Jamaican rum. And it's really pretty affordable, of course depending on when you go. The flight wouldn't be bad from your part of the country.

That's all I got. Congrats on making it to 10! Our 15 is in May, I'm hoping to take her with me to a conference in Cape Town, South Africa in August. One of my good, well-traveled friends says it's his favorite city in the world...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Here is another idea. Every now and then I do a "clue" each day of any given week for something special.

I have a glass jar that has clues written on a small piece of paper. Each morning she gets to pick one and then on Friday she gets the last clue and then the gift.

It's always the same curiosity and fun with her and her co-workers trying to figure out what it is.

The best stumper I did consisted of these clues.

1. Start spreading the news, New York, New York.
    2. She was a 80's pop singer.
    3. Illumination sensation.
    4. Fishnet stocking with a complimentary garter belt.
    5. Poltergeist.

Just some fun silly stuff I like to do from time to time.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    @treitz3

Its not a super pricey or expensive thing.... but maybe "recreate" some of your guys favorite memories....

Like redo your first date, same place you went to, everything you did, etc...

A couple events like that and then the kicker being the big thing your working on here....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    If she likes the beach, take her to Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. It's on Maui. I think the Managers name is Mike White, call him and tell him it's your 10 year anniversary and he will work with you on making it a great affordable trip. Just google Ka'anpali Beach Hotel to get more info.

If it sounds interesting, do take the swimming with the sea turtles excursion at Molokini crater thru Aqua Adventues it's was awesome. They do a thing called Snuba, it's like scuba diving but with no tank on your back. The water is so clear at Molokini crater.

Lahaina is a really nice community to visit, lots of shops, eating places, Lua's, lots of cool stuff. It was one of the most relaxing vacations places I ever visited.

We try to get out there every 3-5 years as we enjoy it very much.

I second this idea. Every 3 years I go to Kaanapali and stay @ the Marriott. I even jump off Black Rock. I love Maui and the Lahaina area. You can also get anything you want under the Banyan tree.....lol.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Nothing says I love you after 10 years like a movie and Taco Bell. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-