Backer box size for RC60i

Options
Ranks
Ranks Posts: 3
I just purchased RC60I for Atmos surround and was curious to know if anyone knows what size backer box I should build around these speakers. They are going in a home theatre and sound proofing is very important to me. I know that they are designed for infinite baffle, but I would like to contain the sound running down the joists and leaking above.

Thanks

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    http://www.dynamat.com/architectural-home/architectural-home-dynabox/

I used dynabox enclosures and the dimensions are DynaBox 17″x12″x6.5″
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    If your drywall is already up then the Dynabox is about the only way to go.

If I was going to build a box I would use 12mm (1/2") Baltic Birch. make it the width of the joist.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ranks
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Drywall isn't up yet, so I will be building these boxes for them. I just wanted to get an ideal size as some people were saying that these speakers sound mushy in a box.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Try to use Baltic Birch if you can. Can also try speaker foam to take out the echo in the box. If all else fails you can port the box one in if it is too mushy, I don't think it will for Atmos.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Add a piece of dampening material like the dynabox has, this will also tighten the bass
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Ranks
    Options
    Thanks again guys, I have been on some other sound forums as well and have some plans as to how to line the box, dampen it, etc. I just need the dimensions for it, I know they say size doesn't matter, but I think it does ;)