I'm new to this site, building a new home with large living, dinning kitchen area.

Options
Kensobsession
Kensobsession Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in Speakers
I'm looking at Polk floor stand speakers in a 5.1 setup vs book shelf. I am considering using an Anthem 520 5.1 receiver, small center channel (as it has little to do for the people sitting in front of it) and in ceiling rear speakers. Would there be an optimal front floor standing speakers or can I get away with bigger book shelf speakers? Thanks
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Answers

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk Ken! That's a nice receiver you're considering. I had the MRX-500 for a while, and loved it. I guess the answer will depend on what other speakers you plan to use for rears and your center. It also depends on whether this is for primarily home theater or music or an even mix of both. Lastly, budget is obviously a factor.

I would say do not underestimate the value of your center speaker, especially if you will utilize primarily for movies and television! For HT, my center is the most important speaker in the mix. It's also somewhat important to timbre match your front soundstage (L-C-R), so you should try to get speakers (fronts and center) from the same line and be sure the tweeters match. If you're going new, Polk's new Signature Series seems to be getting a LOT of praise for their performance vs. price. As for floor standers vs. bookies, if you have the room for big floor standing speakers, that's what I'd go with since it sounds as if you're dealing with a large, open space. Keep in mind, even with bookies, you'll probably want to put them on some quality stands, so by that time, you're investing almost as much, and utilizing similar real estate as floor standers...

Good luck!
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    Options
    Would need to know the square footage to really give a proper recommendation.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Polk Signature S60 or S55 with a Signature S30 or S35 center. for in-ceiling either SC60 or MC80

HSU or SVS for sub
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music