SDA SRS 2 Tweeter/Cabinet/Brace interference problem

Options
OK, I know some of you have seen this thread (http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176862/rdo-194-install-swap-simple#latest) about a simple RD-0194 install. That thread is what started a discussion with a few others and lead to this thread. The question now is not so simple as I see it so I decided to start another thread so in the future there will be a reference point for others. The problem I have is this. I used hurricane nuts and bolts on all of my speaker and Passive holes on these speakers with the exception of the bottom tweeter top of the hole. There is a support brace inside the cabinet directly behind the two top holes of that bottom tweeter. Here are the images.
20170403_220339_zpshleu2jus.jpg
20170403_220337_zpsrfcuy6yo.jpg
20170403_220331_zps7ebdyg11.jpg
20170403_220317_zpskevofbpk.jpg
Hope you can see what I mean by the images. What I would like to do of course is put either brackets or hurricane nuts with bolts in those holes as well. I cannot see where a "standard" bracket will help as the support would interfere with it as well...Ideas welcome.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    With Larry's brackets you can remove the bar and just use the thread portion of the bracket.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Maybe drill and epoxy an electronics threaded spacer
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    Hillman threaded wood insert.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Have not went any farther yet..I will check back in when I do. Thanks for the ideas so far. I know one will work.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    I take it the original screws go directly into the brace. If so, xschop has the proper solution.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Bigger wood screw. End of problem. No need to fight with inserts.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Bigger wood screw. End of problem. No need to fight with inserts.

He's using cap screws everywhere else, the original wood screws for that tweeter stand out like a sore thumb.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,907
    Options
    I think that is the worst interference with a brace I have seen, the tweeter brackets or hurricane nuts won't work without modification of that brace..
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    ^^^^ What he said!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I think that is the worst interference with a brace I have seen, the tweeter brackets or hurricane nuts won't work without modification of that brace..

Yes all, that brace is directly behind the screw holes. Almost looks as if it was perfectly measured and put there on purpose. Hillman looks like the best option here as well. I had thought of using a cap head screw with a wood screw end (like used on many Cerwin Vega speakers) as well. Plenty of material to screw into. At least three inches of brace back there behind that screw hole. I am going to Fastenall to see the options I have. Don't know why but I do not like the screw with cap end option.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    When we were doing speaker cabinet builds McMaster-Carr had the best and most complete selection. Metric is probably easier too.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=172cbbp
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Flathead38
    Options
    E-Zlok.com has a complete line of inserts for use in soft woods and mdf. I was looking at these for a future rebuild project. Anyone have any experience with this product?
  • VSAT88
    Options
    netor2ae7g51.jpg
    56geyuagpur1.jpg
    Went to Fastenal this AM. I know they say for hard wood but what do you think ?
  • xschop
    Options
    The leading edge is a cutter, so those look like they'll do the job.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2017
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    netor2ae7g51.jpg
    56geyuagpur1.jpg
    Went to Fastenal this AM. I know they say for hard wood but what do you think ?

Perfect and if you want put some 5 minute epoxy on the outer threads of the insert for extra measure.

President of Club Polk

• Flathead38
    Flathead38 Posts: 72
    edited April 2017
    Options
    FWIW I would try those in a scrap piece of mdf before trying them out on your speakers. I tend to think that those are specifically made for hard wood as they will cut "threads" into the wood. Soft woods and mdf will tend to flake and break apart. Take a look at the E-Zlok page and you will see that the inserts for soft woods, plywood and mdf is made differently.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Done. They work great. Just some glue as @F1nut recommended. I was careful to drill out the depth as well as I am using very long cap screws. See what you think. Ran them in with the cap screw then backed the screws out to make sure they needed no farther adjustment before the glue dried. Sorry, no five minute epoxy, just Aleen's as I was afraid if I used epoxy and needed to adjust them to fit the holes in the tweeters that by the time I got the tweeters back in they would be completely set. 6nemfox1mqoc.jpg
    3u5zwmpssrdp.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    Oh yeah, much better. Good job!

It'll make Larry very happy B)

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Problem solved. Cap heads look much cleaner.

• VSAT88
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thank yall ! Yep, tell Larry they sound better too...