upgrade to lsim705s and bridged behringer a500s.

Options
arekon
arekon Posts: 77
edited April 2017 in Speakers
hey guys, im new to the joint and am somewhat coherent to the audio world and am a polk fan.
wanna upgrade the rig with 2 behringer a500s and lsim705s for fronts and send the current fronts to the back.
currently have a pioneer sc68 with monitor 75s for fronts, a csia6 for centre and klipsch icon vf35s as rears with lsim703 and rm101s in zone 2. the room is 23' by 13' with a 70" 7 series sharp with a psw 505 and a def tech 312 for subs.
with all that in mind what do you all think? is it worth the upgrade? also, i live in a well insulated townhouse with good neighbors.
i also have a pioneer vsx90 with t600s a csia4 and rtia1s on another floor and a subtle sb9500bt in the bedroom on another floor. i love polk! any feedback would be great, i love talkin audio.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I'd definitely reconsider the Behringers for amplification. Pro amps usually don't sound that great for home audio. Maybe a Parasound amp, B&K, McCormack, and a host of others would do well with the LSIM's.

Matter of fact, I'd try the 705's on the Pioneer first, they are pretty easy to drive speakers and don't need a ton of juice and the Pioneer has some giddy-up to it. You have a sub in the mix too, so much of the heavy lifting is being done there.

I'd also move the Monitors to zone 2 and use the 703's with the 705's in that system. Just an early morning thought, by 2 pm my thoughts may change. :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Welcome to clubpolk!

Agree with ole(not old!) @tonyb on the beringer. High power yes, but also high distortion, and no character. I have used a b&k, parasound, and Rotel with my 703s, and all sounded really good. But the 200 wpc Rotel is amazing! The soundstage is wide and the bass is really taut and controlled. Every detail is there!

One disagreement with ole tonyb - I would keep the 703s in zone two. They are just too good for surrounds, and I don't think surrounds have to match.

Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • arekon
    Options
    thanks for the feedback guys. ive been following the lsim cabinet -colour thread and made a similar choice.
    the midnight mahog with perhaps the parasound A 31 after feeling out the 705s. just waiting to hear back from parasound for vendors in vancouver.
  • arekon
    Options
    update for all my fellow canucks as ignorant as i.
    parasound will not stamp their power amps with the CSA mark and will not ship or sell to canada which forces me to assume other big name brands are in the same boat.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    arekon wrote: »
    update for all my fellow canucks as ignorant as i.
    parasound will not stamp their power amps with the CSA mark and will not ship or sell to canada which forces me to assume other big name brands are in the same boat.

Doesn't matter....buy a used one from fellow countrymen. You can also search the used equipment listings of some audio stores up there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • arekon
    Options
  • rntlee
    rntlee Posts: 8
    Options
    Congrats on the 705's, have a pair and love them more every day. The A500 would work fine driving them, no snob appeal but they'd sound perfectly fine. Have you seen this? matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
  • arekon
    edited April 2017
    Options
    rntlee wrote: »
    Congrats on the 705's, have a pair and love them more every day. The A500 would work fine driving them, no snob appeal but they'd sound perfectly fine. Have you seen this? matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

not getting the 705s for another few months(slow delivery up here i figure.) the amp(s) are the reason for the thread..
    and to your question, have i seen what, the configuration? if so, no, just a good sale on the amps and a lack of knowledge...
  • rntlee
    Options
    It was a blind test between a "lowly" a500 and a high end set up consisting of a classe pre and yba amp. Interesting read.
  • arekon
    Options
    ya my bad. didnt see the link.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    A blind test once showed that a $200 Japanese receiver sounded like a pair of OTL mono blocks, which just goes to prove how utterly worthless that type of test truly is, but some people will seek out and latch onto anything that fits their position.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    The LSiM are nice speakers and deserve something better than the cheapest Pro audio amp one can find.
    As stated..Find something used eBay.ca, Craigslist, Canuck Audio Mart, etc...
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    I can attest that Parasound JC1 monoblocks can do an admirable job.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    As do the Emotiva XPA1 Gen2 Monoblocks B)
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • arekon
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    I can attest that Parasound JC1 monoblocks can do an admirable job.

parasound wont insure their power amps in canada

edit: if people go through it all and ship em up here than i cant see them selling
  • arekon
    Options
    As do the Emotiva XPA1 Gen2 Monoblocks B)

but lottsa negativity on here using them with the rtiA series. havent heard much about em with the lsims til now.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Pfff, Not the xpa1's
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    For HT? Find your self a Sunfire.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • arekon
    Options
    Pfff, Not the xpa1's

emailed emotiva, waiting for reply.
    howdya feel about the 5 channel xpa?
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Some love em some hate em. Try it and listen for yourself. Pretty sure they still have a risk free trial period.

Your odds are better with the lsim series too.

Many other good options also. I do not think the lsim 705's are too picky like the RTI. I love my xpa1, unlike other amps I've had they sound great all the time, and I can listen for hours with no fatigue. I have had mine since 2015 without the urge to "upgrade"
  • arekon
    Options
    emo ships to canada with 'free' shipping. whatever that means..
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't know if anyone here has heard the Gen3 Emotiva amps. They are now a modular design which some do not prefer. Although the ATI and Outlaw amps share a similar design and have received many positive reviews over the years.

Similar in that they are modular, anyways.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    I wouldn't be so quick to discount a pro amp for your needs...in particular the Crown XLS DriveCore 2 series.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • rntlee
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Pro amp?!?!?
    That would definitely sound like garbage... >:)
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Is that an assumption or first hand listening experience with a Crown XLS DriveCore 2 amp?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • rntlee
    Options
    Sorry, was trying to be facetious, not serious. I use a 4 channel Crown amp to drive my patio system. Sounds fabulous.
  • arekon
    Options
    I wouldn't be so quick to discount a pro amp for your needs...in particular the Crown XLS DriveCore 2 series.

would you say that its got a loud fan?
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Not at all...can't say I've ever heard it. The XLS DriveCore 2 series is relatively new from Crown & shows their commitment to R&D. This isn't your father's old pro-amp. Lol!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    I don't know if anyone here has heard the Gen3 Emotiva amps. They are now a modular design which some do not prefer. Although the ATI and Outlaw amps share a similar design and have received many positive reviews over the years.

Similar in that they are modular, anyways.

Positive reviews for HT, but not so much for serious 2 channel audio. I haven't heard the gen 3 Emo's but going modular is a sign of cutting costs, which is never a good thing.

Just my .02c

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • arekon
    Options
    in my local CL there is an ACURUS 200x3 for 3 bills, canadian funds which is in the hood of 210 US.
    Any feedback from the gray hairs? apparenetly its from the mid 90s.