My Denon took a dump!

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,521
My DVD-2910 quit working recently. It will play for a min when first powered on then it will only play 10 - 30 seconds and revert back to the begining of the song or cd.

I guess this would be a good time to repair it possibly do some upgrades.

Does anyone have any links to articles or another thread with good info on doing this?

Thanks

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Denon used the cheapest laser they could buy across many of their top players. Just an FYI.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Drop it like it's hot....then throw it in the trash.

I have two of these that have become expensive doorstops. One of them quit altogether and the other one plays when it wants too. I think it's akin to owning a Yugo. They run when you first get them and fall apart as soon as you hit the gas.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Guess what????

fvx5eys7375h.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    CH46E wrote: »
    My DVD-2910 quit working recently. It will play for a min when first powered on then it will only play 10 - 30 seconds and revert back to the begining of the song or cd.

Does anyone have any links to articles or another thread with good info on doing this?

Thanks

Sorry to hear that, but the others may be on point. Might be cheaper to just buy another dvd player.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Maybe it needs a coat of black paint...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Ruminating upon this thread, it dawned on me that I took my Denon DVD player from the dump. The swap pile of the Harvard, MA town dump, that is.

9608227418_c66be7a0e6_b.jpgDSC_6212 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

A wonderful place.

13247173725_83bcff5c98_b.jpgswappile1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I just use it as a transport for spinnin' CDs, though.

• StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    CH46E wrote: »

Thanks

Got a 2900 on the cheap from salvation army that was acting up. Turns out the laser was just out of whack. These video's may help you replace or adjust the laser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8ojRiBOag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-5pBD_szbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFmxN6Vl1I
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Ruminating upon this thread, it dawned on me that I took my Denon DVD player from the dump. The swap pile of the Harvard, MA town dump, that is.

9608227418_c66be7a0e6_b.jpgDSC_6212 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

A wonderful place.

13247173725_83bcff5c98_b.jpgswappile1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I just use it as a transport for spinnin' CDs, though.

Man, your idea of a dump, and Chicago's....is light years away from each other.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2017
    So -- does that mean Chicago's are nicer or -- the other way?

The photo I posted is of the "take it or leave it" swap pile at the Harvard dump on a beautiful early summer day some years back -- it's a wonderful place. Had to leave it behind when we moved to NH. Our town here has none -- although our son-in-law & daughter's town has a pretty good one. Said son-in-law & I occasionally visit theirs on weekends when our schedules permit.

Picked up a fairly nice Technics SA-5170 there one day, in fact. :)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So -- does that mean Chicago's are nicer or -- the other way?
    Chicago is emphatically not nicer than what you've described. :(

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    I apologize for sort of pulling this thread off topic. :*

This being said, I reckon almost any digital player (with the possible exception of some of the the four-digit price tag models) wouldn't be cost effective to repair.

It might (?????) be worth cleaning the optics and or greasing the laser assembly's track before giving up on it, though? Pretty reasonable course of action for a CD transport... for a DVD, I dunno, tho'.

• treitz3
    Just an FYI, they used to come up for sale on the forum here and they only fetched IIRC about $120 to $140 shipped. I'm sure you can find one for around that price if you can't get yours up and running. At one time, they were a pretty popular player here on the forum.

Sorry for my blunt post to simply trash the unit. Because I had two and they both failed on me, I *personally* consider them to be junk. Didn't mean to talk bad about your unit. They are a fine player when they do work.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Didn't mean to talk bad about your unit.

That's what she said! :'( - sniffle

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I have a 2910 just sitting around, It's yours for the cost of shipping.
  • CH46E
    No hard feelings here! Lol. The memes were great!

I only used the Denon for CDs, SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Ive had it since new.

Ive been looking at specs for some used Rotels but none of them seem to be a "universal" player if you will.

Real estate in my wall rack is tight and need one player to play all three formats. And if we could throw in BluRay and 4K capable that would be a huge space saver. But i have a feeling one would be much more than im will to spend.
  • CH46E
    edited April 2017
    Its a album cover for Van Halen. Jump, go ahead and Jump. Lol

Im sure he meant no disrespect to the Danish. Lol :)
  • mhardy6647
    Love their pastries.

Or is that pasties?

Lemme get back to you on that one...

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited April 2017
    DSkip wrote: »
    Keep your music unit separate from your video unit. Your ears will thank you.

What if he got an Oppo? Just asking, when I DO get an Oppo I want to pull my 3100ES player.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    l1b6unekss93.jpg

The design and colors are shamefully similar to the Danish flag. I would tell you a thing or two, but you probably do not read Svenska.

Next you just may begin to dabble in knocking DALI speakers and get the idea that Ikea only sells cheap futons. Shame, shame, shame: Putting the national flag of Snori Snorissen on a toilet!

Hope you're not serious...
  • CH46E
    I do like the Oppo, but id hate to spend the coin on a used Oppo when im needed a 4k player in the near future.

Maybe i should just pony up and get the latest Oppo 203. Actually i just checked. The price is not that bad.

• treitz3
    Doesn't Sony make a universal that does 4K/3D/Wi-Fi and additional jazz at a reasonable price?

Tom