Carverfest and it's first magazine article. Check it out....

Options
AUDIOPHILES FLOCK ANNUALLY TO CARVERFEST FROM THE US AND CANADA

Each fall, a unique audiophile festival known as CARVERFEST is hosted in a two-week gathering of enthusiastic audiophiles at the Watershed Resort in the Smoky Mountains, occupying dozens log cabins spread over a forested hill near Bryson City, North Carolina. Each luxurious log cabin has spectacular views of the woods and the surrounding Smoky Mountains, well appointed with beautiful and comfortable interiors with fine furniture, modern appliances, and a large hot tub on spacious decks. All have rustic stone fireplaces, both inside the log cabins and outside for cooking or just enjoying the evening in front of a warm crackling fire. This well known Smoky Mountain National Park recreation area offers some of the most spectacular scenery to be found in the eastern United States, with such activities as river rafting, kayaking, hiking, rides on an antique steam locomotive, interesting hamlets, and tours of the famous Biltmore Estate in nearby Asheville. It's a place where lots of fun, much relaxation and camaraderie are had by all.

Carverfest owes its creation to Tom Reitz, a long-time active member of the Carver Internet forum. Tom became friends with many members, but sadly, few had ever met each other. He was interested in finding a place where the members could get together informally with their wives or girlfriends in an environment conducive to discussing their interests in audio, displaying their equipment, and, most of all, listening to their favorite music. Tom decided the Watershed Resort, where he and his wife had stayed before their marriage, would be the perfect setting for the audiophile festival he had envisioned. Perfect is an understatement!

In 2005, Tom broached his idea to his audiophile friends on the Carver forum - they responded with enormous enthusiasm! In the very beginning, Carver forum members Dave Sauter, his son James, and James's son Alex got together with Tom to make Carverfest a reality. Ten more enthusiastic Carver forum friends got on board and Carverfest was born!

Since then, Carverfest attendance has grown each year. Fellow Carver forum audiophiles arrive from all over the country and Canada, together with their high-fidelity systems, then set them up in their respective cabins. The exclusively two channel systems include vintage Carver equipment, restored Phase Linear amplifiers and speakers, even the latest Sunfire amplifiers and several Carver Amazing loudspeakers along with many other Carver units of all type and flavor. A member of the Canadian contingent arrived with a beautiful and immaculate vacuum tube Silver Seven amplifier. We arrive by truck with our audio equipment in tow, we arrived by car with our amps and speakers in the back seat, and some of us come with only a large suitcase and a small system inside. A few of us come by air with several large boxes full of audio gear. But come we do!

For the first two years, Bob Carver had no idea of the existence of this festival honoring his audio designs. As soon as he learned of its existence, Bob announced he coming for the next festival, so we all anxiously waited in anticipation of his arrival. Suddenly, on a dark, starless night, the stillness of the forest was broken by a desperate cry for help - Bob had run off the dirt road! We all ran out, and to our great surprise found a sheepish and nervous Bob with his car teetering over a ravine. Seven of us lifted his car up and put it back on the road. After that adventure, we all had a good laugh, and Bob Carver became an official and honored member of Carverfest!

Carverfest is open to all! Whole families come from all over for a wonderful two-week vacation to be among those with a mutual passion for all things audio. We engage in animated discussions of the various examples of two-channel audio; some of us may also be engrossed in building projects while others may seek advise on improving their systems.

Carverfest has no formalities; each cabin group decides the order of the day, with listening to each other’s stereos having top priority. Each system is set up to listen to, talk about, and most of all, to enjoy our favorite music. We might even sleep late, but soon we would hear a knock on the door, often by a single person and as the minutes ticked by, more and more folks would show up with another knock on the door. All are invited in to share listening to the system in each cabin, where we discuss the choices of equipment and other audio related subjects, then take our leave and go on to savor another great audio system. Music emanates from every cabin in the forest; in the evening, music rings out from the green forest in the mountains as the audiophiles within have wonderful "get-togethers" with friends from previous Carverfests as well as brand new arrivals. Two full weeks of audio bliss! Many of us just come with huge smiles on our faces!

The largest log cabin has a giant lunchroom with long benches, suitable to work on building audio designs executed by some of the more technically gifted members, along with all the parts and instructions. Some of us from previous Carverfests had built small speakers, tube power amps, and a beautiful preamplifier. We brought them to the festival, then enjoyed the reward of listening to lovely music emanating from our own creations.

Phase Linear, Carver, and Sunfire equipment designed and manufactured by Bob Carver, predominated. Included were Bob Carver’s original Amazing loudspeakers, a pair of Bob's Andromeda speakers of long ago, his Phase Linear, Carver, Sunfire solid-state amplifiers, and pre-amplifiers. Also included were Bob’s new powerful tube amplifiers whose unique design allows tubes to last, without declining, for 50 (!) years.

Several systems included equipment from other manufacturers, including speakers by Ohm, Apogee, Klipsch, and Martin Logan as well as several tube amplifiers by well-known manufacturers, each reflecting various tastes in stereo equipment. A pair of magnificent home built electrostatic speakers impressed all of us with their technical sophistication and glorious sound. The builder, an extremely talented designer also treated us to a demonstration of the imaginative and unique construction process in the building of his speakers.

One of the highlights of this year was Bob's newest design, a tall line source speaker and dual driver subwoofer, driven by a pair of Carver Raven amplifiers belonging to Eddie Mackiewicz. We all came to listen to these tall, majestic line source speakers and found ourselves immersed, even transfixed by the music enveloping and surrounding us with a realism we had never experienced with point source speakers.

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,313
    Options
    Longtime Carver forum member Russ, an electronic engineer by profession, set up an electronic service station, where he offered to repair anyone’s equipment without charge. Similarly, another forum member set up a ribbon repair station on the lunch tables behind his cabin. Some of the more technical members were in the lunchroom, working on their equipment. In past Carverfests, we built tube power amplifiers, speakers, even a pre-amp by hand from basic parts, allowing members to discover the rewarding experience of listening to beautiful music from equipment that we built ourselves at Carverfest! All present were welcome to watch, listen, and learn. Listening to the equipment and the sharing of stories and knowledge stimulated every participant as we walked from cabin to cabin.

"Cookie" (Ray) made amazing dinners and breakfasts for all; each day we came together to have incredible meals served piping hot in his large cabin. Each day, we all gathered together to enjoy the gastronomical delights "Cookie" prepared for breakfast and dinners. We could not get enough of his specialty, delicious barbecued ribs. Around the midpoint of the festivities, those with a flair for cooking, mostly wives and girl friends, created a sumptuous multi-course dinner-to- be-remembered, served on a large deck from which all enjoyed the view of the Smoky Mountains. Afterward, everyone joined in various activities, including “Name That Tune” and dancing. Bob's wife, Peggy Piacenza, a professional modern dancer, joined the fun, entertaining all with her exceptional talent.

During the festivities, some took advantage of the many recreational opportunities, which included rides on antique steam and diesel railroads, boating, hiking, river rafting, and visiting the local villages. Peggy enjoyed river rafting and hiking, and, with Bob and others from Carverfest, took a side trip to tour the fabulous Biltmore Estate and Winery in nearby Asheville.

Clearly, Bob hugely enjoyed the festival, humbled by the devotion to his creations. He mentioned that Carverfest reminded him of attending the Consumer Electronics Shows, where he would go from suite to suite in hotels to listen and evaluate various audio systems but he enthused that the far more intimate Carverfest was "so much more fun as not to be compared". A more relaxing and enjoyable setting among friends sharing a passion is hard to imagine. The woodsy environment, the enthusiasm, spirit, and open friendliness of all who came, the beautiful music emanating from each cabin created an atmosphere for a bonding experience that has moved the flock of audiophiles to return each fall to Carverfest in the Smoky Mountains.

After two solid weeks of being treated to audio bliss and enthusiastic conviviality, all were reluctant to leave - those of us who stayed to the end joined behind the large Carverfest banner to be photographed, their smiling faces reflecting their joyful togetherness. Having absorbed into their memories what was heard and learned from fellow audiophiles, we all look forward to chats on the Carverfest Facebook site, planning for Carverfest, 2017

Written by David Ladely. He was Bob's former college roommate back in the day. I'll keep some of the stories he told me about Bob private but man, were they a hoot!

I hope you enjoyed the read.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    BTW, if anyone wants to audition my rig, it will be featured at this year's Carverfest. This will be the last time my rig will be featured.

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Sweet man
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    In for sure this year, Tom.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Good to hear. We already have all but 3 cabins spoken for. Only the "Treehouse" cabins remain. Any other latecomers will have to get a cabin off of the mountain Carverfest is held. I'll be there Sept 8th-17th.

Have your people talk to my people and we'll get you situated.

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So, I posted this on my Facebook page where Mr. David Ladely, Bob Carver, various forum members and I chat about audio from time to time. Among the conversations, David posted some history tonight that I'd like to share with you, if you are interested in reading it;
    I was very very impressed by CarverFest and the idea behind it. Bob and I agree that we could not possibly have known that our collaboration back in 1966 would, thanks to Tom, would have culminated in the annual celebration of all things audio called Carverfest!

Bob and I met in 1962, while we were attending the UW. At the time, he was building very sweet sounding 30 watts/channel stereo amplifiers. We became housemates in 1965. I was employed at a store selling high end audio, including McIntosh and Marantz.

As I listened, I became very frustrated that none of the amps delivered a realistic sound, they seemed to "choke" before creating any sense of realistic music. On my birthday, Nov. 4, 1966, I decided I wanted an amplifier having several times as much power as any available at the time. I could buy parts wholesale through the company I worked for, so I sought the most powerful "equivalents" of Bob's sweet 30 watt tube amps.

Seeing the parts inspired Bob, so he spent the next two weeks devoted to building this "super amp", with me as helper. Once built, Bob and I took it to where I worked, hooked it up to the ElectroVoice Patrician speaker (which had 30" woofers) and, for the first time on earth until then, we heard music that sounded virtually realistic.

Shortly after, we hauled the amp, which had three large chassis (the power transformer alone weighed 97 pounds) to the McIntosh Clinic, where it blew everything away. Bob was inspired to build a company from this, call it Phase Linear.

Since solid state was the "future" at that time, Bob built a transistor version that he called the Phase Linear model 700, considered the progenitor of all the high powered amps that followed later, including professional amps. Bob and I share the philosophy that audio should be affordable for the average person, and priced the 700 watt Phase Linear 700 at less than the amps of only 150 watts, the highest power amps available until the advent of the Phase Linear 700.

The audio world was very conservative, frustratingly so, and was slow to accept such a revolutionary jump in power. Until HIrsch-Houk Labs published a review in Stereo Review magazine which Julian Hirsch admitted he and all the other experts had been wrong about the power necessary to provide even close to a realistic re-creation of even Horowitz at the piano, as tested in the review. He concluded that significantly more than 150 watts RMS was necessary, noting that portions of the music required over half the power available from the Phase Linear 700 to maintain a rich, full bodied, realistic performance - clearly demonstrating that the artificial, but popular, belief that 150 watts RMS was "more than enough" was not based on objective reality.

Bob and I have had a number of conversations on the serendipity of our fortuitous meeting when he was building his 30 watt RMS/channel amps, me getting work in high end audio, setting the stage for the decision to defy convention and prevailing opinions of so-called experts, and build the world's first "super amp." We are both greatly gratified by the enthusiasm of those who chose Phase Linear, Carver Corp, and Sunfire equipment, by their appreciation and loyalty. Our cups runneth over.

Tom

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Sounds like a great experience. I can't imagine two weeks of audio nirvana in the NC woods. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    Something i have always wanted to go to. Just have never been able to afford the trip.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Great stories!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • cycloneBarry443
    Options
    I made brief appearances at the last two Carverfests! I agree talking to Dave was one of the high points of the fest, his non published stories are a lot of fun as well! I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and the systems all sounded quite nice! I am not sure I will make it this year even though it's on my priority list!
    Barry
  • treitz3
    Options
    Barry, I do hope you make it! It would be great to see you again. The folks at CF become an extended family after a while.

Tom
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    How does this work? Do you have to rent a cabin or can you just show up for a day or 2? I live about 2 hours away so it's an easy day trip.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Hello Airplay. Either one. We have someone that has a room within a cabin available right now, so if you want to have a room? Let me know asap before it gets booked. If you just want to show up, that's no problem but you will not want to drive back, only to return the next day. It's WAY to much fun for that.

If you know anybody that's coming, you can simply just ask if you can bunk with them for the night. If you know of a campground in the area (they will not let you camp on the grounds at Watershed), feel free to set up a tent for the night and return the next day.

If you did want your own private cabin, they do have 2 Treehouses left. The Treehouses are 4 smaller separate cabins combined into one but they still have privacy from one another and include many of the amenities of the larger cabins like a kitchen, fireplace(s) and a hot tub w/private deck.

The only word of advice is if you want a cabin or the available room, act quick because the deal we have with the cabins is that they hold all cabins off for Carverfest but if we don't rent them all, the remaining cabins will be opened back up for public rentals and will no longer be at Carverfest rates. Once this happens, the price for the cabins goes up considerably.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    3c6257a9-3ff4-44cc-a38b-3851c5f32dc6.jpg

This photo is a pic of one of the Treehouses, FWIW.

Tom
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    Thanks Tom! I've got a crazy job schedule so I can't commit to anything at the moment but if I end up with a day or two off it sounds like it would be cool to head up there to check stuff out. The only piece of Carver gear I've got is a non functional m0.5t but when it worked I liked it lots haha
  • treitz3
    Options
    Understood on the crazy job. Over the years, we have had many a folk come up for the day and end up staying multiple days without plans. Some of these cabins are big and when you make friends and they hear that you are headed home, only to return the next day? They won't stand for it. They will find accommodations for you.

It's just how we roll there.

If you want privacy or your own room? Yeah, you will be out of luck there though.

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I sure wish I could go up there and pea on some bushes
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• treitz3
    Options
    Nothing is stopping you from attending Ron. They have plenty of trees and bushes that hundreds have already left their mark on. Some of them were even planted by us as part of the event.

Get your butt up here man, you can stay with Jerry, Niki and I. It's only us 3 and our cabin sleeps something like 8 or 9. Bring Halen and Skiperoonie with you too.

Tom
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    There are a couple bunks available in cabin 5. We have the cabin booked from the 9th to the 17th. Renting a bunk there would be a really cheap option for someone just wanting to spend a couple days.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Scheduling is bad for me this October

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Nothing is stopping you from attending Ron. They have plenty of trees and bushes that hundreds have already left their mark on. Some of them were even planted by us as part of the event.

Get your butt up here man, you can stay with Jerry, Niki and I. It's only us 3 and our cabin sleeps something like 8 or 9. Bring Halen and Skiperoonie with you too.

Tom

What days will Jerry and Nikki be there?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • treitz3
    Options
    8th -18th

Tom
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options

Tom

Wait. When is this?

Damn. Sounds fun all around and looks amazing!
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    8th -18th

Tom

Yes I saw this before I quoted above. Ha
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Hell fire..... I'll be there. Solid. Travis..thanks.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    If you show up in October, you'll not find as much audio. CarverFest is in Sep. B)

A great time to be had by all!!

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    You could look at CF as a warm up for RMAF.... It would be simply awesome to see you at either.

I've done RMAF and thought it was a great thing...but CF is close enough to the same time frame that it's tough to afford both. I use up a lot of vacation and saved up money to do CF and don't regret it for a minute, but it'd still be cool to get back to RMAF some year.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • rxonmymind
    Options
    Love me some Carver gear. Sounds like a great time. Missed the **** pilgrimage due to a detour to Arizona. This sounds fun.
    c16noh2qjj66.jpg
  • treitz3
    Options
    Nice looking rig you have there, rxonmymind. Welcome to Club Polk!

Tom
  • rxonmymind
    Options
    Nice looking rig you have there, rxonmymind. Welcome to Club Polk!

Tom

Thanks Tom. *Looking* around seems like some.good people around here who genuinely like audio. Good stuff.
    Have a great Sunday.
    Brandon