Apple= Evil

13»

Comments

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,925
    Yup it's in the pockets of the next few generations. And they don't even have pockets yet
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,215
    Paradoxex wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Here's a handy checklist:

Apple: evil
    Microsoft: evil
    Google: evil
    Facebook: evil
    eBay: evil
    PayPal: evil
    Tesla: probably evil
    SpaceX: depends on Tesla
    Uber: evil and kinda stupid (wait, maybe that's just the founder)
    Lyft: who knows?
    NFL: evil
    NCAA: effing evil

:)
    That's it? What about Polk, Parasound, Chord, Krell, McIntosh, Denon, Marantz, any company who turns a profit, etc? As long as we have the stock market in this country we'll have pretty much every company that's traded on that market fitting your definition of "evil". That's why I'm not a fan of the stock market, because it "forces" companies into charging pretty much the maximum that people will pay for their products.

Why would they charge less than what the market will bare?

To be clear I think Assimilated was responding to the post by Mikey about price gouging being evil. That's a slippery slope. You either blame the company or the consumer for empowering the company.
    tonyb wrote: »

Now think of area's we DON'T have competition and the related cost to consumer.

Healthcare

Unlike the other areas you named, there is not the same barrier to entry for providing healthcare.

Cable TV: Bandwidth on the radio spectrum, until most recently
    Utilities: Controlled by local and state government - can't have multiple power lines to the same house
    Drugs: R&D costs are daunting for investors, despite the pay dirt being lucrative

So why aren't there more companies competing for business? I think there are several reasons, two big ones are:

1. Insurance companies have to be large to reach critical mass: You have to enroll a lot of people to create an insurance pool of value to your consumers. You need sick and healthy people so the sick people aren't just paying their actual costs, and the healthy people feel like they are getting some value even if they don't get sick.

2. Healthcare Insurers don't have the ability to set prices: People focus on the exchanges and they harp on the insurance companies. These companies are conduits to healthcare, not determinants of it. Their prices and coverage are set by negotiations with hospitals and provider networks that have the leverage to demand incredibly high prices for their services. UnitedHealthcare is huge, but it has to pay Baylor Health system top dollar for its services, because if United doesn't have it in its network, people are likely to not enroll because Baylor is well-known in several key areas. Thus it is the hospital that can push the price up effectively, instead of the insurer pushing the price down.

Consumers don't think about health insurance as limiting their access to hospitals. Furthermore, hospitals get this leverage because as rational as people try to be when they are healthy, when it is you or your wife needing treatment, people abandon their cost-effectiveness arguments, willingly seeking six figure treatments for an additional chance, no matter how bleak, at beating death.

Rarely do you hear people weighing costs in front of the aggrieved. This is why just askiing, "What is the cost of life?" feels so dirty.

I'd like to address that, but there is simply too many areas you touched on and that's kind of the problem too, it's a very convoluted system.

In response to,

1.- You absolutely correct in the way health insurance companies work, it is also the same for any insurance company.

2.-While HC insurers don't set prices, they set standards for which they will pay for and also evaluate risks. That's what Actuary's are for. For instance, a doctor can charge you 2k for xyz procedure, but the insurance company will only pay 1.5k. They have essentially set the price themselves for what is an acceptable charge for that service. Your on the hook for the other 5 bones.

If your older, your a higher risk, smoker...drinker, have higher BP or other known ailments, they can and do charge you more because of the higher risk factor. Not saying it's wrong, just the way it is, like life insurance or car insurance.

Everyone in the process has certain regulations to abide by also, federal or state. Some vary state to state too. This adds costs along the way, be it needed or not.

Could we solve #1 and #2 if we just got rid of insurance companies ? I don't know for sure, but I do know some are experimenting with that idea. In another post somewhere, I commented on a doctor group that offers coverage to adults for 50 bucks a month and kids 25 bucks a month for basic care. A family of 4 amounts to 150 bucks a month. You pay that fee every month, have access to xyz doctor group as many times as you like. Kid falls off his bike and breaks an arm, your covered, no paperwork, no deductibles, and prescription meds are 75% off. Granted, your not getting major surgery for that price, but the majority of people go to the doctor for well being issues or emergency room type stuff like broken bones or stitches, dog bites, etc. Insurance companies know this, which is why deductibles are so high, mine is 6k before they pay a penny. The only way I'll ever meet that is if I get attacked by a group of crazed feminists....and their dogs, at the same time. lol

So basically as it sits now, I pay 6k a year in premiums for basically catastrophic care, and all the little stuff I mentioned before is out of pocket to me. with a 6k deductible I'll never reach.

Insurance companies have to make money too, and they have all sorts of formulas and Actuarys that sit around all day crunching numbers that form policy decisions that will enable them to be profitable. That's just how insurance works, but we are the point now that insurance premiums, plus deductibles, co-pays, and things not covered by insurers can send you to the poor house rather quickly if your unfortunate to have bad health.

To top it off, insurance companies are limited on competition so there is little incentive to offer lower prices. Still can't shop for policies outside your state lines or area. Their only incentive for lower prices is to get younger people to sign up.....which as we now found out is still hard to do. Some still want to be able to buy fire insurance while their house is burning down. We shouldn't force people to buy insurance, but we should also hold them accountable for their own well being.

My questions are....

Would Doctors lower their prices if the costs to them were cheaper ? Less paperwork means less employees and their benefits. Competition for the supplies they buy. My own doctor is retiring, says being a doctor isn't the same anymore. He spends 4 hours a day doing paperwork and conforming to regulations and insurance company requests. That's on top of what his staff has to do. Which in turn means, he has less time to see patients and that in turn means he makes less money.

Would a conglomerate of Hospitals and doctor groups be able to offer more affordable care if they combined resources and got rid of the middle man ? Offered policies themselves like in the example I gave ? Some in Canada are experimenting with that exact idea. I think here in Michigan too.

We have to start thinking outside the box, the box created by lobbyists and big corporations is all I'm saying. Those boxes have been in place for a very long time so the will to change them is obviously fought against.
    Is saving my soul a health care issue?
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,014
    I picked myself up an Ipad Pro 9.7 a month or two ago and love it. Use it mostly for music streaming during the day and reading at night (that night mode is awesome). Granted for phones I go android (HTC to be specific) but tablets Apple rules the field. I don't like the dongles needed for this and that or the fact I have to get an apple tv to mirror my screen but that's why I have an android phone for the rest of my connectivity.

IPhones = Dumb
    IPads = Best in their class
    But is it waterproof??
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,014
    afterburnt wrote: »
    But is it waterproof??

Dunno, I will throw it in the tub tonight and let you know what happens XD
13»