Apple= Evil

2

Comments

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,897
    afterburnt wrote: »
    The first post was a direct response and attempt to help scuba, second post was a copy and paste of something I put together for family and friends a while back, which if you'd read the first sentence of the first post you'd know that...:-)

    Any tips on how I can save my soul?

  • This post is very confusing! I thought Microsoft was the evil empire, not Apple! Apple even has its very own brand of audiophile level electronics - McIntosh labs (integrated amps, etc.). Next thing, someone will pipe up and write that Apple does not make McIntosh labs stuff.

    I bet Apple has an adapter and an app for connecting a McIntosh labs integrated amp to either their tablet or iphone. Stop belly aching! If you can drop 6K on an integrated amp by McIntosh, what's $2 spent on an Apple app to run it?
  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,403
    Hey Al, got your PM and will give you a call this week and see if I can assist further.

    The photos inside messages is an intentional design decision. Those are kept separate so that deleting a photo inside the photos app doesn't then delete it from the conversation. The choice comes down to either people having potential duplicate photos OR having someone delete a photo in one place and then unknowingly having it disappear from another, having been in some of those discussions now (although that particular decision was made long before I joined) they're pretty much always going to choose the safer route even if it's an inconvenience because the alternative would be much worse for most people. What they missed on this one though is adding the ability to easily delete all those photos from a thread, so they need to fix that and add a 'clear all' button.

    Note I said iTunes SEEMS odd. In fact it's a very efficient way to manage and sync your library once you understand the library approach vs the older file system approach. That being said, I'm running on a Mac and my understanding is that iTunes is still not great on the Windows platform. All that being said, if you're not syncing your music then there's really no need to use iTunes at all, especially once you convert to iCloud (if you're on iCloud and don't sync music directly there's no reason to ever plug your phone into a computer).

    If you think iTunes is confusing you should take a look at Roon, I picked it up a couple weeks ago and it is whipping my **** :)
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,897
    edited April 3
    Here's a handy checklist:

    Apple: evil
    Microsoft: evil
    Google: evil
    Facebook: evil
    eBay: evil
    PayPal: evil
    Tesla: probably evil
    SpaceX: depends on Tesla
    Uber: evil and kinda stupid (wait, maybe that's just the founder)
    Lyft: who knows?
    NFL: evil
    NCAA: effing evil

    :)
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,904
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Here's a handy checklist:

    Apple: evil
    Microsoft: evil
    Google: evil
    Facebook: evil
    eBay: evil
    PayPal: evil
    Tesla: probably evil
    SpaceX: depends on Tesla
    Uber: evil and kinda stupid (wait, maybe that's just the founder)
    Lyft: who knows?
    NFL: evil
    NCAA: effing evil

    :)

    Something's wrong with your medulla oblungata.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,595
    edited April 3
    You forgot oil companies and chemical companies... So how much does Apple charge for additional 32gb of memory that is worth like $12 ? Price gouging is EVIL but i guess if people will pay it then they deserve it.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,843
    Cable companies and their legal monopoly provided by paid lobbying = the most evil of all.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,595
    Good one.... How about Pet Food companies that knowingly hurt poor defenseless animals?

  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,843
    Good one.... How about Pet Food companies that knowingly hurt poor defenseless animals?

    They issue recalls when they know about it.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,595
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Good one.... How about Pet Food companies that knowingly hurt poor defenseless animals?

    They issue recalls when they know about it.

    They issue recalls after they get notified

    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1CASMAG_enUS705US705&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chinese+pet+food+deaths&*

    Also VW and Takata.

  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,403
    edited April 3
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Here's a handy checklist:

    Apple: evil
    Microsoft: evil
    Google: evil
    Facebook: evil
    eBay: evil
    PayPal: evil
    Tesla: probably evil
    SpaceX: depends on Tesla
    Uber: evil and kinda stupid (wait, maybe that's just the founder)
    Lyft: who knows?
    NFL: evil
    NCAA: effing evil

    :)
    That's it? What about Polk, Parasound, Chord, Krell, McIntosh, Denon, Marantz, any company who turns a profit, etc? As long as we have the stock market in this country we'll have pretty much every company that's traded on that market fitting your definition of "evil". That's why I'm not a fan of the stock market, because it "forces" companies into charging pretty much the maximum that people will pay for their products.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,595
    What about this guy?


    oyhmufobn84x.png
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,897
    edited April 4
    so -- the smiley after my laundry list was meant to convey facetiousness.

    Pretty much all for-profit entities are equally "evil" -- or equally "not evil", depending on one's perspective.

    :)

    EDIT: Oh, and by the way -- the word facetiously is unique in the English language (at least to my knowledge) in that it contains all of the vowels in alphabetical order. Even the "sometimes y".

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,897
    edited April 4
    heh -- speaking of Tesla :)

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/business/tesla-ford-general-motors-stock-market.html

    In market capitalization, second only to GM of all auto manufacturers.
    The future is electric and self-driving, apparently.


  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,210
    edited April 4
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Here's a handy checklist:

    Apple: evil
    Microsoft: evil
    Google: evil
    Facebook: evil
    eBay: evil
    PayPal: evil
    Tesla: probably evil
    SpaceX: depends on Tesla
    Uber: evil and kinda stupid (wait, maybe that's just the founder)
    Lyft: who knows?
    NFL: evil
    NCAA: effing evil

    :)
    That's it? What about Polk, Parasound, Chord, Krell, McIntosh, Denon, Marantz, any company who turns a profit, etc? As long as we have the stock market in this country we'll have pretty much every company that's traded on that market fitting your definition of "evil". That's why I'm not a fan of the stock market, because it "forces" companies into charging pretty much the maximum that people will pay for their products.

    Uh.....not quite. Nobody is forced into anything. When a company goes public, on the stock market, they have a responsibility to the stock holders. It's always YOUR choice to pay what ever price they ask for their products.

    Second, YOU have a choice also to participate in that stock, building your own personal wealth. We call that investment.....without it companies would not be as big or plentiful and you would not make the same money you do today.

    What is inherently evil is excess greed, excess regulations and lobbying that stymie's competition and protects markets. Which in turn offers price protection for some companies and gives them a green light to basically charge what they want. What do you think lobbyist do ? They pay legislators to protect their turf. To create laws that keep competition out or make it darn hard for anyone to enter their sector of the market.

    Business's are in business to make money, and get the most money they can for the product or service they provide. It is always YOUR choice to pay for it or not. When people stop paying higher prices, inventory builds and you have a sale to clear out that inventory, right ?

    It's not the stock markets fault, it's yours....

    To further the point, you yourself are a marketable product when you go job hunting. Do you not want to get the most you can for your talents ? Or do you take the lowest paying job you can find ? The company's, naturally want to pay the lowest they can find for a certain set of skills in the market place. Eventually, something in the middle is the end result.
    Post edited by tonyb on
  • andrew82andrew82 Posts: 134
    This is a great thread. I love that it's now, somehow, become about economics. I think that Tony and Assimilated are getting at two different phenomenons here.

    Stock markets are, essentially, measures of the expected future profits of the companies who choose to float their stock within them. Because the point of a corporation, ostensibly, is to generate maximum value for its owners (whom can be referred to as shareholders), all corporations would want to produce as large a profit as they possibly could. It's very important to point out that this is also, ostensibly, the goal of private corporations, but due to the fact that such corporations have fewer owners (i.e. shareholders), they can choose to sacrifice current/future profit for one reason or another.

    That being said, the goal of achieving maximum profit does not mean that all companies would charge the maximum that consumers would pay for a given item in a given market, all else equal. Rather, companies focus on a variety of strategies to achieve their goal. It's just as likely that a certain corporation could generate more profit by producing a variety of products and selling them at a lower markup than by producing a few products and selling them at a very high mark-up, as Apple does. Price is both a reflection of the cost of production and of product differentiation.

    Anyway. It's complicated. To sum it up: corporations are designed to make profit irrespective of ownership, the stock market is not the cause of this, and profit maximization is not dependent on selling something at highest price at which someone would buy it.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,210
    Anyway. It's complicated. To sum it up: corporations are designed to make profit irrespective of ownership, the stock market is not the cause of this, and profit maximization is not dependent on selling something at highest price at which someone would buy it.


    Exactly.....you can make a profit selling pencils, doesn't mean they will cost 10 bucks a shot. Introducing competition into the marketplace always results in lower costs to the consumer.

    Now think of area's we DON'T have competition and the related cost to consumer.

    Healthcare
    Cable TV
    Utilities....until recently anyway.
    Drugs

    Just to name a few. In Apple's case though, they can charge almost anything because they have a product people are willing to pay for. Key word is "willing", your choice. People stop paying those prices and what do you think will happen when next years model comes out ? Apple isn't the great evil for selling a product people want and will pay for. YOU are....for paying it. Least when pricing over weighs the value to you.

    This is how capitalism works, a free exchange of product or services between parties for money. Both parties agree, I'll give you x dollars for your product, you give me that product. The only way that exchange can happen is if both parties agree. Stop agreeing, and prices will come down....so will quality along with it I'd imagine.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,923
    edited April 4
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Good one.... How about Pet Food companies that knowingly hurt poor defenseless animals?

    They issue recalls when they know about it.

    In China they execute CEO's that do that.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,923
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Here's a handy checklist:

    Apple: evil
    Microsoft: evil
    Google: evil
    Facebook: evil
    eBay: evil
    PayPal: evil
    Tesla: probably evil
    SpaceX: depends on Tesla
    Uber: evil and kinda stupid (wait, maybe that's just the founder)
    Lyft: who knows?
    NFL: evil
    NCAA: effing evil

    :)
    That's it? What about Polk, Parasound, Chord, Krell, McIntosh, Denon, Marantz, any company who turns a profit, etc? As long as we have the stock market in this country we'll have pretty much every company that's traded on that market fitting your definition of "evil". That's why I'm not a fan of the stock market, because it "forces" companies into charging pretty much the maximum that people will pay for their products.

    Why would they charge less than what the market will bare?
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,923
    Elon Musk is evil incarnate
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,273
    edited April 5
    James Hetfield asked himself once, "Am I evil?" to which he replied "Yes I am". So in fact, James Hetfield is evil!
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,843
    nbrowser wrote: »
    James Hetfield asked himself once, "Am I evil?" to which he replied "Yes I am". So in fact, James Hetfield is evil!

    That's a Diamond Head song. James only asked himself a question that somebody else already asked. Pffft. Posers.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,210
    afterburnt wrote: »
    is evil incarnate

    Now why would you say that ? He's a visionary don'tcha know. lol

    ....or is it this ?
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/videos/elon-musk-wants-to-plant-computers-in-human-brains-to-prevent-an-ai-uprising/vp-BBz7Tdh

    I guess his new startup is geared towards creating Cyborgs, like in Star Trek. Didn't work out too well for them as I recall. ;)

    Musk in my view, is one of the many dudes with more money than he knows what to do with. Guys like him, in his position tend to get a God complex, meaning they like to use their money and influence to change the world to their perceived notions of how it should be. History is full of such people, and it never turns out well for the general population.

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,897
    Epimenides the Cretan (not "cretin"!) once said "All Cretans are liars".

    True, or fake news?

    ;)
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,897
    Imagine you're in the military. A superior approaches you and gives the following command:
    Disobey this command.

    What to do? What to do?


    :)
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,897
    I never met a paradox I didn't like.
  • ParadoxexParadoxex Posts: 196

    afterburnt wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Here's a handy checklist:

    Apple: evil
    Microsoft: evil
    Google: evil
    Facebook: evil
    eBay: evil
    PayPal: evil
    Tesla: probably evil
    SpaceX: depends on Tesla
    Uber: evil and kinda stupid (wait, maybe that's just the founder)
    Lyft: who knows?
    NFL: evil
    NCAA: effing evil

    :)
    That's it? What about Polk, Parasound, Chord, Krell, McIntosh, Denon, Marantz, any company who turns a profit, etc? As long as we have the stock market in this country we'll have pretty much every company that's traded on that market fitting your definition of "evil". That's why I'm not a fan of the stock market, because it "forces" companies into charging pretty much the maximum that people will pay for their products.

    Why would they charge less than what the market will bare?

    To be clear I think Assimilated was responding to the post by Mikey about price gouging being evil. That's a slippery slope. You either blame the company or the consumer for empowering the company.
    tonyb wrote: »

    Now think of area's we DON'T have competition and the related cost to consumer.

    Healthcare

    Unlike the other areas you named, there is not the same barrier to entry for providing healthcare.

    Cable TV: Bandwidth on the radio spectrum, until most recently
    Utilities: Controlled by local and state government - can't have multiple power lines to the same house
    Drugs: R&D costs are daunting for investors, despite the pay dirt being lucrative

    So why aren't there more companies competing for business? I think there are several reasons, two big ones are:

    1. Insurance companies have to be large to reach critical mass: You have to enroll a lot of people to create an insurance pool of value to your consumers. You need sick and healthy people so the sick people aren't just paying their actual costs, and the healthy people feel like they are getting some value even if they don't get sick.

    2. Healthcare Insurers don't have the ability to set prices: People focus on the exchanges and they harp on the insurance companies. These companies are conduits to healthcare, not determinants of it. Their prices and coverage are set by negotiations with hospitals and provider networks that have the leverage to demand incredibly high prices for their services. UnitedHealthcare is huge, but it has to pay Baylor Health system top dollar for its services, because if United doesn't have it in its network, people are likely to not enroll because Baylor is well-known in several key areas. Thus it is the hospital that can push the price up effectively, instead of the insurer pushing the price down.

    Consumers don't think about health insurance as limiting their access to hospitals. Furthermore, hospitals get this leverage because as rational as people try to be when they are healthy, when it is you or your wife needing treatment, people abandon their cost-effectiveness arguments, willingly seeking six figure treatments for an additional chance, no matter how bleak, at beating death.

    Rarely do you hear people weighing costs in front of the aggrieved. This is why just askiing, "What is the cost of life?" feels so dirty.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,923
    tonyb wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    is evil incarnate

    Now why would you say that ? He's a visionary don'tcha know. lol

    ....or is it this ?
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/videos/elon-musk-wants-to-plant-computers-in-human-brains-to-prevent-an-ai-uprising/vp-BBz7Tdh

    I guess his new startup is geared towards creating Cyborgs, like in Star Trek. Didn't work out too well for them as I recall. ;)

    Musk in my view, is one of the many dudes with more money than he knows what to do with. Guys like him, in his position tend to get a God complex, meaning they like to use their money and influence to change the world to their perceived notions of how it should be. History is full of such people, and it never turns out well for the general population.

    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,210
    You mean we hand out our hard earned tax revenue to already super rich people ? Now tell us something we don't know...lol.

    Heaven forbid, 4 billion is just a spit in the bucket compared to a 4 trillion budget, but I'm pretty sure....ok, mostly sure.....no, pretty effin' sure, some schools somewhere could use that money, or veterans, seniors, kids with disabilities, infrastructure, and the list can go on.

    I'm not against anyone being rich, just anyone who already has more money than they could spend thinking they have a right to the public trough......and those who allow it.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,897
    edited April 5
    afterburnt wrote: »

    Bankrobber Willie Sutton was famously asked why he robbed banks.

    His reply?
    Because that's where the money is.

    sutton02.jpg

    Now it's the 21st Century, and Mr. Musk knows where the money is.


2
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!