txnr808 repair

Options
cbow8
cbow8 Posts: 306
i have the no sound issue on the tx-nr808. does anybody know of new hdmi boards or locked down the parts id need to try and fix? budgets been tight if i can fix this itd be helpful.

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Use your warranty if you have one. Onkyo authorized a warranty repair on an old 806 that was 2 years passed expiration.

They know their hdmi boards suck...

Send in a request. The worst they can say is "no".
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes, the repair is all a part of their, Special Service Program.... Or soft recall as I call it.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php

They will send out a box to pack it in and will turn it around in a week. I had mine done years ago. No problems since.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    There is a cut off on the warranty , Call Onkyo and they will let you know what to do.
    There was a few years of bad boards. Onkyo Integra has been incredible at owning up and fixing everyone stuff. I have done hundreds of them and they are a great company to deal with this issue.
    But it's an older issue and today you might have an issue getting it fixed under warranty. They may honor it anyway so give them a call.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Ask for a one time out of replacement repair. Worked for me with my Integra DTR 5.9 a year or two back.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • cbow8
    Options
    i know im out of warranty by many years,ill give it a try though. has anyone tried a home remedy? change caps on board or anything. anyone have a price of repair when it wasnt covered?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I think I heard mention that new HDMI boards run about 180 bucks, plus the costs to remove and replace which I'm pretty sure will add at least another 100 bucks. Plus shipping both ways, you might as well just buy another receiver imho.

Wouldn't hurt to call and ask though, worst they can say is no.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    There's a huge thread over on AVS forum about it here

Basically, Onkyo has extended the warranty on the affected AVRs until 2018.
    I can tell you that I have a NR-709 that went bad well past expiration & they fixed it for free. Even did pre-paid shipping & supplied the box.
    Start here

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/
  • cbow8
    Options
    update.... my txnr808 unit was a refurb from the start,so i know the warranty time is lower. i didnt realize it but it always had the issue,sometimes id have to turn off then on for sound. i ended up finding a hdmi board on ebay from a 1008 unit.basically just another hdmi output was only difference i seen. i didnt bother making another hole in the back for the extra hdmi. the entire board swap was pretty easy. all together it was about 65$. ive heard heat causes this so i put a fan like whats inside the units right over the board on the exterior. it runs on 120v so for now i just have to hit two buttons to power up. i do need a new remote too,my button pad has been wearing out. ive been glueing new contact pads on but its really time to find a new or used one. but for now im very happy to be up and running again. thank you for the responses everybody.