Monoprice Monolith HT amps

Options
mdaudioguy
mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
edited March 2017 in Electronics
Interesting. Just ran across these. I'm thinking Emo competitors, but maybe priced a little higher? Seven channels, 200w for $1499, 5 channels for $1299, 3 channels for $1099, and 2 channels for $999. Anyone know any more about them?

And don't assume I'm thinking they're Parasound, B&K, Rotel, etc., just because I said they're interesting. ;)

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/catalog/productsearch/?keyword=monolith amplifier&searchtype=global

Comments

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    Well, that's a pretty good review. I'll be interested to hear if anyone here gets one, and what they'd have to say about it. 93 lbs for the 7-channel - that's a lot of... something!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    It's essentially an ATI 2000 series amp.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options

Yup...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    That's one thing I was curious about – who builds them for Monoprice. Interesting.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    That's one thing I was curious about – who builds them for Monoprice. Interesting.

Its been pretty much confirmed its ATI, just not by anyone whose done a review (for obvious reasons). ATI also made amps for Outlaw and a couple other companies, whose name escapes me.

They also currently own the B&K brand and can repair some B&K items at their California facility (but it aint cheap).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I have seen many reviews stating these are very sterile sounding. I was @ one time very interested.......FWIW
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I have the smaller series ATI amp AT1202, which shares the same topology and overall design as these amps. It is absolutely fantastic with clarity and details. However, I find it a little lacking through the transients and lacks some punch when mated to my 705s. But it really does great for only 120wpc. If the extra power on these remedies that then it would be an excellent amp for sure. Also note these are lacking the balanced inputs of the 2000 series.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options

Its been pretty much confirmed its ATI, just not by anyone whose done a review (for obvious reasons). ATI also made amps for Outlaw and a couple other companies, whose name escapes me.

ATI has made many big names in amps over the years. Some companies have good designs but not a facility to build. This is where ATI excels, give the design and spec's of components you want in your brand they will build it.

Although this Monoprice amp is very similar to a ATI design the ATI has better parts from what I have read.

• EndersShadow
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

ATI has made many big names in amps over the years. Some companies have good designs but not a facility to build. This is where ATI excels, give the design and spec's of components you want in your brand they will build it.

Although this Monoprice amp is very similar to a ATI design the ATI has better parts from what I have read.

I'd hope so at likely 2x the cost.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    Those are cool! Never thought to look on there for amps, obviously this is a new. Definitely interesting.
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    They've been around for about a year, but don't know if anyone around here has actually tried one yet.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/172685/monoprice-7x200-ht-amp#latest
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    They are pretty expensive just to say "I'll hit one up" haha
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner