Reinventing the turntable.....The Wheel

2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    OleBoot wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Because you would have to put the record on upside down.

Since it has two sides how would you tell if it's upside down?

Seriously, when I put a CD or SACD in one of my players I can't see the label, so why do you need to see it on a record?

It would be like eating toast buttered on the bottom.

And no, you don't really need to see the label. Except to see if your'e putting the record on upside down, of course.

I have filed this device firmly in the "because we can" category.

Eating toast buttered side down has the same effect as eating your ice cream off of the spoon upside down, you should try it, it's exquisite. Also try PB&J on the outside instead of the inside, quite fun.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2017
    lightman1 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I've never been able to read the label on an HDD when it's spinnin'... too darned fast.

And them SSDs -- fuggedaboutit

True a 15,000RPM SAS HDD...enough to warp time and space dude!

So -- in my business, we use a technology called analytical ultracentrifugation to study physical properties of macromolecules (e.g., proteins, DNA). Ultracentriguges are cool. The heart of an analytical ultracentrifuge is a rotor made of titanium (nowadays, carbon fiber) that is spun at speeds up to 100,000 rpm. The rotors are ca 8 inches in diameter. The tangential velocity of a point on the outer circumfrence of the rotor is an appreciable fraction of the speed of light :) I asked the lab's professor, semi-seriously, whether the measurements made in an analytical ultracentrifuge at such velocities had to be corrected for relativistic time dilation.

Well -- I thought it was funny! The powers that be just said "no, we don't".
    No sense of humor have those biophysicists.

:p

Huh?

It spins really effin fast and almost reverses time.

Drinks are on me!

bingo.

doesn't reverse it, but it does s - l - o - w i -- t d --- o --- w --- n

Noted astrophycist Dr. Brian May illustrated the physical manifestations of Einsteinian time dilatiion rather well in a lecture he set to music and performed with a pub band he was in for a while when he was workin' on his PhD.
    :)

https://youtu.be/kE8kGMfXaFU
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    I went to school with Brian May. Well, we overlapped by a year and I never met him. My exam results weren't quite as good as his, either.
  • mhardy6647
    I went to school with Brian May. Well, we overlapped by a year and I never met him. My exam results weren't quite as good as his, either.

That is cool. I have a lot of respect for him, both as a guitarist and for having the stick-to-itiveness :) to finish his doctoral degree!

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I've never been able to read the label on an HDD when it's spinnin'... too darned fast.

So -- in my business, we use a technology called analytical ultracentrifugation to study physical properties of macromolecules (e.g., proteins, DNA). Ultracentriguges are cool. The heart of an analytical ultracentrifuge is a rotor made of titanium (nowadays, carbon fiber) that is spun at speeds up to 100,000 rpm. The rotors are ca 8 inches in diameter. The tangential velocity of a point on the outer circumfrence of the rotor is an appreciable fraction of the speed of light :) I asked the lab's professor, semi-seriously, whether the measurements made in an analytical ultracentrifuge at such velocities had to be corrected for relativistic time dilation.

Huh?

Drinks are on me!

bingo.

Noted astrophycist Dr. Brian May illustrated the physical manifestations of Einsteinian time dilatiion rather well in a lecture he set to music and performed with a pub band he was in for a while when he was workin' on his PhD.
    :)

https://youtu.be/kE8kGMfXaFU

Huh?

Drinks are on me!

bingo.

Galaxies in the universe. Leading edges from the radii to where time is not a constant.
  • mhardy6647
    Whoa Rod Serling is communicating with us through lightman1.

What a mindfunk, man...
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    That is cool. I have a lot of respect for him, both as a guitarist and for having the stick-to-itiveness :) to finish his doctoral degree!

[/quote]

I also admire him for that, but this guy is so smart he probably could have done it in his sleep. I won't go into the vagaries of the British education system in the 60's, but the exam result grades and number of subjects he got them in were unworldly. My friend's elder brother was more of a contemporary of May, and he was in awe of him, and he ended up as chairman of a multi billion dollar company, so was no slouch himself.