Recapping the Monitor 5 series.

Options
This is my first post and have a question about recapping my Monitor 5's that I just purchased. The original caps are 12uf and 34uf. I can find the 12uf easy enough but I can't find the 34uf only the 33uf. I realize that a 33uf still falls withing the specs of a 34uf even a 5% tolerance. Should I still search for the 34uf, get a 33uf or add a 1uf to the 33uf to equal 34uf? I also have the RDO194s on order so I'll be making the swap at the same time.
Thank you!
Scott H.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Sonic Craft sells the Sonicap Gen I 34uF.

Do not use a large value with a small value. If you have to use two or more caps to obtain the correct value split them evenly. For example, two 17uF to get 34uF.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do not use a large value with a small value. If you have to use two or more caps to obtain the correct value split them evenly. For example, two 17uF to get 34uF.

That's some pretty good math skills ya got there, Jesse. Well done! ;)

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Many people use the 33uf since it falls within spec. Several ways to go.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Back then +/- 10% was as good as it got. These days you can get +/- 1%.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shilmoe
    shilmoe Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks guys!. I just ordered some 33uf caps.
    Scott H.

• F1nut
    edited March 2017
    Options

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it buy the correct cap...

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/gen-sonicap-34-uf-200vdc-p-4638

Nice try Jess! ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    $51.00 for a cap for a Monitor5 ?
  • F1nut
    Options
    That's cheap compared to many others.

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I am fairly certain I had close to, if not that and more in just resistors...

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • shilmoe
    Options
    $51.00 for a 34uf vs a 33uf was a huge determination for me. My ears are not what they used to be and with my tinnitus I'm sure I won't hear that much of a difference. I did get the new ones installed and they sound great to me. I also just picked up another set of Monitor 5s (this time the Series 2) for $50. These Series 2 were made in 1990 and have the SL-2500 tweeters. The speakers do not sound as good as the older Monitors 5s I just recapped and put RDO-194s in. They sound restricted to me, not as open. Voices seem more distant. I'm hoping a re-cap job on them will help them out. I did find that on one of the speaker that the batting inside had fallen down to the bottom of the cabinet.
    Scott H.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^Replace the SL2500 the RDO-198.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • shilmoe
    Options
    198s on order should have them Friday. In the mean time I picked up a set of Monitor7s. He said they sounded great but when he drove them to the meeting place he must have knocked them around. Both drivers were locked. :# One cabinet also has some swelling of the particle board in the bottom corner. I ended up giving him $25 for the parts. The PR and crossovers were OK. I am thinking of building my own version of the Monitor 7 using MDF. Same dimensions but 1" front and back then use a nice wood veneer and upgrade it to TL status.

I've ended up falling in love with Polks all over again. I had a set of Mobile Monitor 6502s in my car in the late 80s. The car got stolen and I never replaced them. I really miss them to this day. I'm hoping the new ones coming out this spring will be as good.
    Scott H.