Do all CD transports sound the same?

Options
mikeyb128
mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
edited March 2017 in Electronics
Here lies my question... kind of a newb one at that. If I were to use a CD player as a transport only, going into my dac, would I get varying results with different transports?

I ask because, my shanling has developed a bit of an issue with random skipping, and seems to get "lost" at the end of cds when skipping tracks. I'm guessing it needs a new transport, which I can get from Japan. I will fix it because it's such a nice sounding smooth unit, but in an unknown time frame.

But....

I've been doing some thinking. Get a nice CD player with on board DAC (ex. marantz SA11S3?) Or pick up a nice transport to run into my existing DAC which is a pretty dam good one (ex. a sim audio moon neo 260D).

I need a player on the warm side, and these seem to fit the bill. I'm almost scared to go away from my tube CD player. But I'm also happy to try something new.
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Have you considered going digital? Rip your CD's on your PC and put the files on a hard drive, choose anything you want to play from your listening chair.

Skip has a couple AURALiC Aries Mini's on hand still. $450 I think with 3 months of Tidal. Can play all high res FLAC, Tidal, DSD even. Of course the only digital player I can compare it to is the Oppo I've been using but I have to say it blows the Oppo out of the water. Where the Oppo is a bit bright, forward, and analytical the Aries Mini is comparatively very warm and musical. Even playing 16/44 FLAC streams from Tidal sounds better than 192/24 high res FLAC on the Oppo.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    From what I have read the answer is that used solely as digital transport to a DAC then yes they can sound different. I guess they are still available, but you could buy CD transports around $50K, and they are supposed to sound great, especially compared to low end transports.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Have you considered going digital? Rip your CD's on your PC and put the files on a hard drive, choose anything you want to play from your listening chair.

Skip has a couple AURALiC Aries Mini's on hand still. $450 I think with 3 months of Tidal. Can play all high res FLAC, Tidal, DSD even. Of course the only digital player I can compare it to is the Oppo I've been using but I have to say it blows the Oppo out of the water. Where the Oppo is a bit bright, forward, and analytical the Aries Mini is comparatively very warm and musical. Even playing 16/44 FLAC streams from Tidal sounds better than 192/24 high res FLAC on the Oppo.

This has crossed my mind. I already have a very capable and great sounding dac as it is. Also using tidal which sounds very good.

I have this annoying knack for buying music. I enjoy physical media. I use tidal as a source to find new music, then buy it on CD for cheap. Have quite a nice collection of vinyl as well.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    There was a huge thread about this subject matter on another forum recently. Lots of opinions, of course. The guys in the know (IMO) agreed that transports do sound different.

Mike, have you cleaned the lens on the optical pickup?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Sure they sound different, not so sure about transports under 2k though. If you have a tubed cdp now and your using an outboard dac, your bypassing the main part of that tube circuit in my view anyway.

If you like the warmth of tubes, move to a tubed pre amp so all your sources can benefit. Other than that, I think there will be a Jolida 100 cdp up for sale soon, a stellar redbook player.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Transports under 2k can still be heard to sound different. I've had multiple non audiophiles over who heard a difference between an Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player and a Pioneer Elite DVL-91 Laserdisc player. Both used as transports playing CD's.
    Also other not expensive players were heard to sound different when used as transports.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    unless I'm missing something again and IIRC a lot of the
    transport mechanisms were made by two or three companies. (low end)
    It is what you do w/ them that counts. So even reading the X's and O's
    could be different using it purely as a transport into the DAC.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    No, they don't all sound the same -- and I don't understand why (being, by and large, an analog kind of guy). I'll skip the back story, but I was (very) surprised to find that, for whatever reason, the transport of a cheap, dump-find Denon DVD player I have sounds better through my (fair quality) DAC than does my old (but fairly good) Marantz single-disc CD player's transport.

I wasn't expecting that.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Like anything I guess, build quality in transports comes into play, as I would assume the laser pickups. Though to be honest I've never heard anyone upgrading a laser pick up so not sure how much difference there is there.

Also to be fair, transports alone, you still have the build quality of the digital circuits and in cdp's the analog output stage. To circle back to a forum motto....everything matters.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Mike, have you cleaned the lens on the optical pickup?

I have cleaned the lens.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Sure they sound different, not so sure about transports under 2k though. If you have a tubed cdp now and your using an outboard dac, your bypassing the main part of that tube circuit in my view anyway.

If you like the warmth of tubes, move to a tubed pre amp so all your sources can benefit. Other than that, I think there will be a Jolida 100 cdp up for sale soon, a stellar redbook player.

I have a Cary tube preamp. And my tube CD player (shanling) is connected right to my preamp.
    The dac is used for tidal and computer USB only. Except that my 8 year old mac book pro is toast, so only using tidal at the moment.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    No. But all amplifiers do. Go figure.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    No. But all amplifiers do. Go figure.

And here I thought Julian Hirsch was dead!

;)

You just need to use some tone controls, ol' son. Maybe a nice equalizer. Some flashing lights. That'll do the trick.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    ^^ you had me at flashing lights!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    A while back I think I might have had a thread on this. I used a denon ... I cant remember the model but, it did sacd\dvd universal player, jolida, and Pioneer D9 and hooked them up coax out to my old W4s Dac2. I could hear a difference between all 3 using them as a transport. If memory serves me right, the denon lost and the jolida won but, it was close between the jolida transport and the pioneer.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Took a stroll down to absolute audio, these guys are going to lend me a bryston bcd-3, a sim audio moon neo 260D (with built in DAC), and a marantz SA8005. It will be interesting that's for sure. I will try all players internal DAC vs coaxial to my benchmark DAC. The benchmark uses 4 ESS Sabre 9018 chips per channel in a fully balanced configuration, which is what I will be using.

Of course I will only get one player at a time, my research is showing the moon to be an absolute killer performer. If the bryston is going to be as clean and detailed as they say, then it won't make my cut, I don't need more detail than what my system already provides.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mhardy6647
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Yes, transports sound different. The clunks, whirrs and motor sounds are unique to all transports. Hope this helps! :wink:

Well -- that puts me to mind of the late, great John Hartford's classic song, Washing Machine:

https://youtu.be/6qYpnPzpewk

man-o-man, what drugs were they takin' in those days?

Here's the canonical version, for completeness:

https://youtu.be/ZWGm2CmcL44
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    Options
    Tom Hanson dancers ?
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I dunno -- but Perry Como & Jimmy Durante :)

Nearly as whacked-out as Bowie & Der Bingle.