Powering RTI A9

Options

Comments

• jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options
    I have RTi A9s. I used to have Parasound Halo A21 to drive them both. The receiver is Pioneer SC-65. The parasound was doing great job. When listening to stereo mode, the volume needed was low compared to lets say dolby digital mode. And I enjoyed listening in stereo mode.

I recently changed the amp. Now have McCormack DNA-500 driving both the speakers. so from wattage point of view, I doubled them. Did that cut the listening volume by half or doubled the loudness (I do not know better word for that term)-- not at all... and that is well understood point.. What it did though is that those A9s even sounded fuller, especially in stereo mode. When there is bass coming out, that was deeper and stronger. For a reason or another, I also felt that the separation (frequency wise) was better with the latter amp as well. All these observations were noticed while in stereo mode. I have to run the calibration to make overall HT system better, haven't done it after plugging the DNA in the system.

I liked both these amps that I have tried so far. Would recommend them without any hesitation.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That DNA 500 is one of my favs, congrats man, nice choice.

Dmega.
    Watts are watts, if 2 pieces have the same watts, one can have substantially more current than the other. Such is the case comparing watts from receivers and amplifiers.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I have no deficiencies acquiring chest thumping bass from my A9'side off a Halo A31. So yeah once you get that amp hooked up you will say to yourself wow I should of done it sooner. Enjoy
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Dmega
    Dmega Posts: 83
    Options
    Speakers: Polk - Front RtiA9 - Center Csi6 - Surrounds RtiA1 - Heights Sc60 - Sub Psw125 +SVS PB2000
    Power: Anthem MRX1120 11 ch. Atmos/dtsx receiver
    TV: Vizio m70c3 4k led TV
    Player: Philips bdp7501 uhd player
  • Dmega
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who chimed in. :)
    I really appreciate all the experience and learned some things. My next step would be to audition some different brands of amplifiers. I'll post back on my progress.
    Speakers: Polk - Front RtiA9 - Center Csi6 - Surrounds RtiA1 - Heights Sc60 - Sub Psw125 +SVS PB2000
  • Dmega
    Options
    Sorry to bump this from so long ago but I had to step away from the search for an amp for financial reasons. I prefer to have a new Amp but the Parasound is not sold here anymore in Canada. Since I have the Anthem mrx1120 would the Anthem mca225 be a natural choice?

My problem here is finding places to audition. My vendor for the mrx doesn't carry the mca 225 so he can't even describe how it sounds. He still has the older version and said the mrx 1120 sounds better than the mca 20. Then he I explained the reason for the amp being the polk rtia9 speakers and he seriously doubts it needs the extra power from a separate amp.

His solution was to use the Surgex 1810 power conditioner to improve the power to the various electronics I have. He seemed sure the potential of the mrx 1120 was not being reached due to it being connected to a power strip to the wall. Any thoughts?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'd rather see the receiver plugged into a stout 10awg DIY extension cord than a power strip, and I'd make one of those first.

That Anthem receiver is probably the best power wise unit AVR on the market and if you are only doing 2channel it's probably almost getting you there.

The MCA 225 would be great for those speakers IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dmega
    Options
    @txtcostal1 thanks for the comments. I may have to buy the amp blind but I'm very nervous about that. Any thoughts on the Surgex improving the sound quality? The manufacture claims it improves audio and video by filtering out noise. It looks like it's a solid surge protector which never needs to be replaced. If it's the case it might improve the sound it would be a cheaper option but obviously I'm skepticle.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    SurgeX is a solid product for surge protection, as for sound improvement IDK, haven't owned one.

I do think you will be happy with the amp and the headroom it will provide for the A9's
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Power strips are not designed for audio in that they restrict current. The SurgeX won't and that should improve things a bit, but in no way will you get the same result as adding a separate amplifier.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dmega
    Options
    Thanks for the insights gents. My next big pay day I just might pull the trigger on both.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Sometimes you have to buy blind. I seriously doubt you would be unhappy with anything from Anthem.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gp4jesus
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Dmega wrote: »
    Since I have the Anthem mrx1120 would the Anthem mca225 be a natural choice?
    Adding an integrated amp to a HT system? I'm missing something.
    Then I explained the reason for the amp being the polk rtia9 speakers and he seriously doubts it needs the extra power from a separate amp.
    I seriously doubt he knows about powering* 'A9s. The 1120 review/bench test I read: 5 channels driven only 70* watts per. General consensus 200 is threshold power level for 'A7/9 towers.
    His solution was to use the Surgex 1810 power conditioner to improve the power to the various electronics.
    I can't say either way for your AVR. I'm certain you will enjoy improved SQ and equipment protection** but that's all.
    ** my APC H15 has kept my Outlaw in my rack
    He seemed sure the potential* of the mrx 1120 was not being reached due to it being connected to a power strip*** to the wall.
    I'll go w/the flow on this***. See* above*
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    The Anthem mca225 is an amp not an integrated

• gp4jesus
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oops?!
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The Anthem mca225 is an amp not an integrated
    Musta fat-fingered search input. Well that integrated model was 225WPC too
  • Dmega
    Options
    So I asked my local anthem dealer about the possibility to audition the mca25 but no dice. They don't have it in the store and have to order it in. I can get a good deal but returns are subject to fees...ew.

I was doing some research online and started thinking about the emotiva xpa gen 3. It just so happens there is a retailer in the Greater Toronto Area now. I gave them a call and they would sell it to me to audition, and return full money back with no fees!. I'm almost about to go ahead...there's really nothing to lose.

Then this afternoon I decide to give the anthem one more chance. I started playing music from cd's at around -30 on the receiver. It sounds decent so I dial it up to -25. I check my settings and I have ARC room correction off. I activate it and the the music is changed. Before there was lots of sound (definitely bigger stage) but the imaging was fuzzy. With ARC on the music is focused. I can clearly hear the vocals clean and all the tones are honed in. The overall volume needs to increase so I push it as far as I can tolerate to -20.

Its loud, highs don't hurt and mids and lows are coherent, full and clean. This is not what I remember and why I was seriously ready to go the separate amp route. I play through about 5 or 6 cds of different types of music and I'm wondering to myself why things are sounding right now.

Then I recall I was playing music from the computer using dts play fi through the network...Ah that must be the reason the music the other day wasn't sounding right. So I switch the source to the computer and start playing my playlist. I have to adjust the computer volume and the itunes volume controls to get the receiver playing at the proper level.

Once dialed in at -21 I start enjoying what I'm hearing...what I thought was this was going to mess things up. Okay what was I playing to be pissed off? Music with hard hitting bass or low bass. Reggae, Hip hop Soca and Dance. I tried different selections and messed with both ARC on and off. I couldn't reproduce the experience I had before.

Perhaps my expectations before was not realistic. Lots of the music I listened to in my youth I had the bass up high. Perhaps my nostalgic self was remembering the sound in the car and in the clubs and was expecting the same or similar experience of chest thumping bass. I likely tried to dial it up to high before to over compensate and started stretching the receivers limits causing the music to sound off.

At the end of this all there's a few lessons learned about my system. The Anthem MRX1120 and Polk RTIA9 make a great combo. The sound which comes from the combination is in a word...fantastic. I'm not going to say the advice I have been given is wrong. In fact I think it's pretty good advice. I would like to add to the collective with my own experience. I have a receiver capable to drive the A9's pretty well. Probably not to it's potential but for my room size and from the main listening position I no longer feel it necessary to add them separate amp.

I'm still curious and want to audition at least the emotiva xpa225 to see what I does. Perhaps I will still order it as there is no risk but I don't feel like I need to anymore.

Anyone looking to run these speakers with receiver only I recommend the anthem mrx line. I had a lower end Denon before and it was absolutely hopeless with the RTIA9's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Inherently bright amps (emo) and inherently bright speakers (RTiA's) are not a good match.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dmega
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Inherently bright amps (emo) and inherently bright speakers (RTiA's) are not a good match.

Have you heard the xpa gen 3 connected or you are basing opinion on older models? I figure if i try them and don't linkem i can always return them. Not much reviews but the couple out there don't indicate a strong bias to bright. For what its worth the retailer in my general area swears they sound good with the rtia9. At least hes owned them in the past and has experience with the combination. He said this generation is moer like the xpr line than the older xpa for what its worth?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I'm not going to argue with F1nut, he knows his audio better than I do.

Here is my experience with Emotiva.

Years ago a Friend was selling his 5 channel Emotiva, he let me plug it into my HT for the weekend. At the time I had a Sony top end ES AVR. Did it sound a little bright on my 80's hair metal? A little more than normal. I turned down the trebil and my RTi8 sang for the entire weekend. I didn't have the cash to buy it so I had to give it back. I also only used the front 3 channels of the amp due to in-ceiling speakers I didn't want to pop. It was a bright amp, bright speakers and bright AVR

Now my recent experience with Emotiva.

Two weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a BasX-A300, lower end Emo. I have it hooked into a Marantz SR5010 and Signature S60. Once I ran Audyssey I tried out some music. Oh my the sound is so much fuller, cleaner and detailed. On everything from MP3 to my SACD. All the music I have played has been unreal and this is with a lower end amp (all I can afford). Elton John Good bye Yellow Brick Road is just even more fantastic. Wife and I had it on Sunday morning and my wife got up grabbed the remote and turned it up, she said it sounds awesome. My wife never turns it up.

I suggest is if you can try an Emo for free give it a shot. All this time I had the SR5010 I thought I was in audio bliss, well now I am even more.

This is just my experience with Emo, I do want to upgrade to a Parasound A31 when $$$ permits. For now I will enjoy what I have.

Cheers
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mikeyb128
    Options

Have you heard the xpa gen 3 connected or you are basing opinion on older models? I figure if i try them and don't linkem i can always return them. Not much reviews but the couple out there don't indicate a strong bias to bright. For what its worth the retailer in my general area swears they sound good with the rtia9. At least hes owned them in the past and has experience with the combination. He said this generation is moer like the xpr line than the older xpa for what its worth?

I had RTIA9's with the amp you mention, it only stayed in my house 6 months. I had to go to the doctor because I kept getting a trickle of blood running from my ears. He did some tests and diagnosed me with horrible synergy with the A9's and emotiva combo. I bought one of bob carvers sunfire amps (without audition), and I healed up in a matter of hours.

I cheaped out. Bought an emotiva, sold it within months and bought the better amp. You don't need to audition the anthem, you just told us your Anthem receiver is a great pairing with your speakers. I'm going out on a limb here, I'm gonna have to say the amps sounds signature will likely be along the lines of the receiver. Just buy it and thank F1 for saving you from ear bleeding sound.

P.s. My emotiva sounded very good with home theater, with music it was down right painful. I'm not knocking emotiva, they don't pair well with RTI series. Some here have had Good luck with them and RTI, and most have not.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gp4jesus
    Options
    You like the Sunfire/'A9 synergy. No point "fixin' what ain't broke," w/sumthin' else.

"Sounds like" your best upgrade is a separate Sunfire amp when "planets line up for you."

Enjoy! Tony

• Dmega
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I had RTIA9's with the amp you mention, it only stayed in my house 6 months. I had to go to the doctor because I kept getting a trickle of blood running from my ears. He did some tests and diagnosed me with horrible synergy with the A9's and emotiva combo. I bought one of bob carvers sunfire amps (without audition), and I healed up in a matter of hours.

I cheaped out. Bought an emotiva, sold it within months and bought the better amp. You don't need to audition the anthem, you just told us your Anthem receiver is a great pairing with your speakers. I'm going out on a limb here, I'm gonna have to say the amps sounds signature will likely be along the lines of the receiver. Just buy it and thank F1 for saving you from ear bleeding sound.

P.s. My emotiva sounded very good with home theater, with music it was down right painful. I'm not knocking emotiva, they don't pair well with RTI series. Some here have had Good luck with them and RTI, and most have not.

Wowsers :# this experience is the worst I've read about. It's certainly no trivial matter when one's health is impacted in a horrible way like bleeding ears. It's also no trivial matter when dropping $2500 on the Anthem amp without listening to it and not being able to return in without a restock fee. I suspect my receiver gets me mostly there and I'm leaning to not upgrading...at least not for awhile.
  • Dmega
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    You like the Anthem/'A9 synergy. No point "fixin' what ain't broke," w/sumthin' else.

"Sounds like" your best upgrade is a separate Anthem amp when "planets line up for you."

Enjoy! Tony
    Fixed.

You are 100% correct.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Dmega
    Options

I'm also not into buying used equipment.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    If you can try an Emotiva for free give it a go. worst is the gas taking it back.

The lower end BasX-A300 I am using to drive my S60 is doing a sweet job in a big way. Not bright at all. The Sony I had with Emo and RTi8 was a little bright, just turned down the treble a bit and it was fine.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options

Ahh, ok. I used to be that way myself, I eventually got over it with time and experience.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

I'm also not into buying used equipment.

Seeing that audio gear depreciates fairly quickly, buying retail is money out the window in most cases. There is a right way and a wrong way when it comes to buying used gear to lesson the risk. There are some fantastic pieces, higher end, available on the used markets not made anymore or simply past models. This puts great sound in the hands of those who would normally not be able to afford full retail prices. Especially amps, which are built to last years and years without any maintenance. Receivers are more outdated earlier because of software issues.

To each his own though, your coin, spend it as you will.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable