Comments

• Dmega
    Dmega Posts: 83
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I posted this earlier :*
    Here is their capability
    Lower and Upper -3dB Limits30 Hz → 26 kHz...also pending on room

I saw that earlier but need clarification. What does -3db mean....-3 on the receiver volume? If so that's way to loud to listen to. I'm usually around the -20 to -30 on the dial.
    Speakers: Polk - Front RtiA9 - Center Csi6 - Surrounds RtiA1 - Heights Sc60 - Sub Psw125 +SVS PB2000
    Power: Anthem MRX1120 11 ch. Atmos/dtsx receiver
    TV: Vizio m70c3 4k led TV
    Player: Philips bdp7501 uhd player
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Won't doubt you or the reviewer that he only measured 35 Hz in his room with his gear.

The reviewer was evaluating them positioned for 2-channel or HT listening. He didn't position them for optimal bass response. If they were positioned for optimal bass response, and a person was in the position where the bass response is at its best, I could also see them reaching close to 20 Hz.

Nobody can tell you if your A9's will reach any specific lower limit, in your room, with your gear, positioned where you place them. Suggestions can be made to improve overall bass response, but nobody will say you will get an additional 5 Hz at the lower end if you add an amp, for instance. If somebody ever makes that claim, or a similar claim, he or she should be ignored.

Even though you have a very capable AVR, an amp will improve the performance of your speakers. You will simply have more current to drive those speakers than an AVR can provide. If you happen to be measuring 35 Hz at the low end, you may or may not be able to measure freqs lower than 35 Hz.

Speaker placement and room response are also a factor.
  • Dmega
    Options
    Yes I wanted to know full range what a 200w+ amp would do for bass specifically for the rti a9 that my 140w 2ch driven @ 8ohms supplied by the anthem mrx 1120 can't do. Everyone says things like it comes to life...unfortunately I can't hear other amps with my speakers to know what I'm missing. For example would the rti a9's have more authority with bass below 50hz listening at 20 to 30 volume level?

I believe in theory that running full range would better integrate bass when listening to music then speakers + subwoofer which I currently do (not that it sounds bad).

I guess I'm looking to see how much improvement I can get out of these speakers.
    Speakers: Polk - Front RtiA9 - Center Csi6 - Surrounds RtiA1 - Heights Sc60 - Sub Psw125 +SVS PB2000
  • Dmega
    Options
    Yes I wanted to know full range what a 200w+ amp would do for bass specifically for the rti a9 that my 140w 2ch driven @ 8ohms supplied by the anthem mrx 1120 can't do. Everyone says things like it comes to life...unfortunately I can't hear other amps with my speakers to know what I'm missing. For example would the rti a9's have more authority with bass below 50hz listening at 20 to 30 volume level?

I believe in theory that running full range would better integrate bass when listening to music then speakers + subwoofer which I currently do (not that it sounds bad).

I guess I'm looking to see how much improvement I can get out of these speakers.
  • Dmega
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Won't doubt you or the reviewer that he only measured 35 Hz in his room with his gear.

The reviewer was evaluating them positioned for 2-channel or HT listening. He didn't position them for optimal bass response. If they were positioned for optimal bass response, and a person was in the position where the bass response is at its best, I could also see them reaching close to 20 Hz.

Nobody can tell you if your A9's will reach any specific lower limit, in your room, with your gear, positioned where you place them. Suggestions can be made to improve overall bass response, but nobody will say you will get an additional 5 Hz at the lower end if you add an amp, for instance. If somebody ever makes that claim, or a similar claim, he or she should be ignored.

Even though you have a very capable AVR, an amp will improve the performance of your speakers. You will simply have more current to drive those speakers than an AVR can provide. If you happen to be measuring 35 Hz at the low end, you may or may not be able to measure freqs lower than 35 Hz.

Speaker placement and room response are also a factor.

I'm gonna change the direction a little bit. I'm researching amps in canada. I really don't want to spend big money. The cheapest amps for the power I can find is crown. Class d with 300 watts for 600 cdn. Anyone use it with rti a9?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Pro amps have no business in your home.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dmega
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Never heard of Perreaux so I learned something. Seems a tad bit expensive considering the seller gives it a 7 out of 10.
  • Dmega
    Options
    Anyone use D amps for Polk like the NAD, ATI etc... using Ncore? I'm intrigued by the glowing reviews.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Head over to Canuck audiomart, and find a nice two channel amp. 7 out of 10 isn't necessarily bad either. People conservatively rate items, and 7 could only be due to age.

I owned the A9's way back, and I powered them with an 400 watt per channel sunfire amp. And I can tell you they had chest pounding bass. No I didn't measure anything, but the neighbors hated me.

Sometimes you don't know what your missing until you try it.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    Dmega wrote: »

Never heard of Perreaux so I learned something. Seems a tad bit expensive considering the seller gives it a 7 out of 10.

Very good stuff.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    Anyone use D amps for Polk like the NAD, ATI etc... using Ncore? I'm intrigued by the glowing reviews.

ATI might be a little too bright for those speakers. Bright speakers and bright amps are not a good combo.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    You want hard numbers and facts that cannot be given. Everyone hears differently, everyone has different set ups.

But the one fact you can take from this is that EVERYONE has said that there is a definite improvement adding a powerful amp into the equation.

We all can't be wrong, so either take a chance & spend some money, cheap won't cut it or don't.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. If you want authority at lower volumes, you need power, which is what we've all been saying. Also, set them to large in your receiver's setup menu and run direct 2 channel mode, or pure direct. Different receivers call it different things. -30 is still pretty low for the authority your looking for.

Use a speaker cable brand known for it's authority also. Some cables are more laid back, have different characteristics than others. Once again, your in room response is going to be different than the specs for the speakers, we all have different rooms so it's impossible to be the same. Manufacturers use specially treated rooms when determining specs, and your average home is far from those ideal conditions.

Also, another aspect to loss of authority at lower volumes is impedance miss matches. This can be between pieces of gear, even cables. When you have impedance miss matches, it's like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose, restricting signal flow.

An example of that can be found in specs of the gear. Say any amp your looking at needs 2 line volts to be driven to full power, but your receiver only puts out 1 volt at it's output. What that means is the receiver can't drive that amp to full power. In some cases, if the amp is hefty enough and powerful, even not at full power the amp can deliver some good current to your speakers. If you go too small of an amp, you may not realize that amps full potential either and your sound may not be all that much improved.

Get the thought of watts out of your head, speakers need current, and in amplifier specs that will be represented in "amperes peak to peak". You want something in the neighborhood of 40 on up....imho anyway. No receiver does that, and most use the same power supplies all the other brands do with minor tweaks.

For most big floor standing speakers with lots of drivers, this is the Achilles heel, they need power to perform their best. RTI speakers and Parasound amps, B&K amps, are a good match. You can find a used Parasound, even in Canada, like an HCA 1200 or 1500 for around 400 bucks. Stay away from the pro amps, they are built for loud, not necessarily sound quality. Good luck to you on your quest.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Dmega
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    -30 is still pretty low for the authority your looking for.
    So what your saying is even with added separate stereo amp if I listen to music around -30 on my dial (approx. 75 db from my main listening position) I would not get bass slam.

Trust me when I say -30 is as loud as I can tolerate for long stretches. Any louder and it's uncomfortable and the wife would hit me with something metal. I scratch my head that people listen to music any louder regularly...(concerts and clubs aside).

When I run the sub woofer with the towers (xover at 80hz) at the same volume and decibel the low bass comes to life with more punch. No it doesn't hit my chest but it's making my ears happier than the stand alone A9's.
    Get the thought of watts out of your head, speakers need current, and in amplifier specs that will be represented in "amperes peak to peak". You want something in the neighborhood of 40 on up....imho anyway. No receiver does that, and most use the same power supplies all the other brands do with minor tweaks.

I'm having a hard time finding the amperes peak to peak for my receiver. Is there a way to find out what it is and for that matter any amp?

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    -30 is still pretty low for the authority your looking for.
    So what your saying is even with added separate stereo amp if I listen to music around -30 on my dial (approx. 75 db from my main listening position) I would not get bass slam.

Trust me when I say -30 is as loud as I can tolerate for long stretches. Any louder and it's uncomfortable and the wife would hit me with something metal. I scratch my head that people listen to music any louder regularly...(concerts and clubs aside).

When I run the sub woofer with the towers (xover at 80hz) at the same volume and decibel the low bass comes to life with more punch. No it doesn't hit my chest but it's making my ears happier than the stand alone A9's.

I'm having a hard time finding the amperes peak to peak for my receiver. Is there a way to find out what it is and for that matter any amp?

When you set the speakers crossed over at 80, and your using a sub, you take all the heavy lifting off the speaker and put it on the subwoofer. In that situation, the quality of your subwoofer has more impact than the speaker will for lower bass reproduction.

If -30 is loud for you, than what is the complaint here again ? If it's loud enough to hurt your ears I'm pretty sure it's throwing out dynamics.

You won't find ampere ratings on receivers, they use watts. Most have a 450 watt or 700 watt power supply, give or take a few watts. Most limit current too to avoid overheating, what do power hungry speakers need again ? Current....

If your going to continue using just a receiver to power A9's, setting them to small and crossed over at 80 with a subwoofer is the right way to go about it. It gives the amplifier in the subwoofer the heavy lifting, and takes that job off the receiver making the receiver itself have more power available. In my view though, your not using the speaker to it's fullest.

If your receiver has a double bass option, try using that to see if you like the sound. Some receivers have an option to run the fronts full range plus the subwoofer. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options

That's because most receivers are wattifiers, not amplifiers. Most amplifiers information can be found online with a simple Google search. in the case of my Parasound HCA-1200II that'll make any RTiA tower sing, 57 amps peak to peak.

And it has 205wpc as does the Parasound 1500A.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    Options
    I can't listen 75........

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dmega
    Options
    If I were to buy new...my local dealer sells amps by anthem, arcam, naim, bryston, rega, paradigm,NAD , marantz, technics. Any recommendations from this list?
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Most of those amps new will be expensive. You said your budget is 600$?
    Go here : http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/2-amplifiers/

Im in Canada as well. I have bought and sold a lot on this website, it's a great place with some great deals.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Dmega
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Most of those amps new will be expensive. You said your budget is 600$?
    Go here : http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/2-amplifiers/

Im in Canada as well. I have bought and sold a lot on this website, it's a great place with some great deals.

The budget is not set...most if not all of that stuff is unknown to me...I wouldn't know if it's good or not with out serious help. Buying new is more expensive but I get warranty and piece of mind. Listed price is never what I pay. In some situations like NAD I can get at cost plus a nominal fee.

Iso there anything new I have access to in canada that plays nice with polk?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    On the upper end I would look at the Bryston---great amps, then NAD
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    I REALLY liked my Nad 317 integrated with some LSi7s in a near-field configuration years ago. Most would find that combo too mellow, but I loved it.

Considering your A9s are forward and a bit hot on top, I think that a powerful Nad would make an excellent choice!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Dmega
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I REALLY liked my Nad 317 integrated with some LSi7s in a near-field configuration years ago. Most would find that combo too mellow, but I loved it.

Considering your A9s are forward and a bit hot on top, I think that a powerful Nad would make an excellent choice!

Im think for a new buy the NAD might be my cheapest option of quality amps. Do you have any thoughts about the NAD Master Series 22? Mostly great things I've read about it.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options

Im think for a new buy the NAD might be my cheapest option of quality amps. Do you have any thoughts about the NAD Master Series 22? Mostly great things I've read about it.

Only heard the 317, but that NS22 looks AWESOME! I think that would ROCK the A9s!

p.s. if you are getting that for $600, please do share!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Dmega
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rooftop 59 wrote: »

p.s. if you are getting that for $600, please do share!

Will do ;)
  • F1nut
    Options
    The Marantz would pair nicely with the A9's.

President of Club Polk

• Dmega
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Marantz would pair nicely with the A9's.

I didn't consider it as everyone is seems to be saying to get at least 200 WPC where the MM7025is 140...the same as my receiver. I can't find the current for either anthem or marantz. From a price point the mm7025 would be the cheapest and it looks cool imo.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Amp wattage and AVR wattage are completely different animals.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    What specific differences you noted before and after upping the amps?
    Well that seemingly simple question has a loooong detailed answer.
    I tri-amped my RTi A7s. In the process I tripled the power & peak current to the woofers, doubled the available same to mids & tweets. But here goes...
    More Percussive yet controlled bass
    Cleaner upper mids
    Highs much softer, no more "listener fatigue."
    And the most important by-product: transparency!
    Did you measure anything?
    No
    Was bass better at lower volumes?
    Yes, but you MUST take into account extensive mods. Study my sig or find my "Tri-amped RTi A7s" thread complete w/pics.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    ME TOO if I were Dmega. That* amp should enable your '9s to "lift your place off the ground!"
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work