Powering RTI A9

Options
Dmega
Dmega Posts: 83
I've read lots on how the A9 needs to be powered above 200w to get them to shine. Right now I drive them with 140w with anthem mrx1120 and they sound good. However I have not experienced hearing deep base with authority yet but specs indicate they are capable. What exactly would adding a seperate amp do for bass in this regard?
Speakers: Polk - Front RtiA9 - Center Csi6 - Surrounds RtiA1 - Heights Sc60 - Sub Psw125 +SVS PB2000
Power: Anthem MRX1120 11 ch. Atmos/dtsx receiver
TV: Vizio m70c3 4k led TV
Player: Philips bdp7501 uhd player

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    WITH a sub, a stout 120/200 WPC 8/4 ohms (e.g. P'sound 1000*, Rotel 98X* series) should git 'er done depending upon space to fill, programming, & preferred SPL

Full range, 250/400 WPC 8/4 ohms (one each* per channel?**) depending upon... etc.

** I'll get some heat for this LOL. Check my sig for a different approach.

YMMV, Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Room layout more than anything will determine deep bass output.
    Going from 140 Watts to even 200 or 250, is going to give you a tiny increase in output level, all else being equal, but we are talking a couple decibels.

Gonna guess you are not even beginning to use most of your 140 watts as is.
  • Dmega
    Options
    Thats the thing I don't know if this is all the bass I'm gonna get or not. What is the real world expectations for the rtia9 when it comes to bass?
    Speakers: Polk - Front RtiA9 - Center Csi6 - Surrounds RtiA1 - Heights Sc60 - Sub Psw125 +SVS PB2000
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    How large is your room

Like mentioned before the lower Hz very due to room size and compression
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dmega
    Options
    Total volume with closed doors around 2500 cube feet.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    An AVR cannot drive those speakers properly. The Anthem 1120 weighs 32 lbs. while their A2 two channel amplifier weighs 34 lbs. Why does the 2 channel amp weigh more you ask? It's got a big beefy power supply resulting in a respectable peak to peak amperes rating, which is far more important than watts per channel and something no AVR can provide.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dmega
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    An AVR cannot drive those speakers properly.
    Please explain what proper means please?

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Dmega wrote: »

To give you the full range before the amp runs out of gas...basically bottoms out
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• F1nut
    Options

A fuller, richer more detailed sound with the bass you are missing now.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dmega
    Options
    To know what bass I'm missing can someone please explain what is the expectation for bass. With details such as what hz it can reach and at what volume level. With that information I can make measurements for my self .
    Thanks
  • F1nut
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is the bottom line. If you want bass from those speakers you need a separate power amp. No AVR can properly drive those speakers. The forum is full of posts from A9 users with the same question as yours and the same answer as mine.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    To know what bass I'm missing can someone please explain what is the expectation for bass. With details such as what hz it can reach and at what volume level. With that information I can make measurements for my self .
    Thanks

F1NUT is correct, and your room will also play a part in SPL's, bass performance. That's why we can't tell you what HZ it should reach and at what volume level. Specs on speakers are done in special rooms made for testing speakers, your home isn't one of those rooms and the specs will change.

On your AVR, turning up the volume to -10 should give you some ear bleeding volume, I wouldn't go much past that level unless you like ordering parts from customer service. If your feeling a need to go louder, your under powering those speakers and your receiver is running out of gas. Pushing it will only result in damage.

Also, the cabling your using plays a part in how well the speakers produce lower bass too. Lots of variables, but the main thing is power, the A9's come alive with more power and no receiver will have the power a separate amp will.

Sure, you can hook them up to your receiver, they'll play, but not at their optimal performance levels. Just my opinion, but if your not going to power a speaker to perform it's best, why have it then. No offense meant, we just get this question a million times a year around here about A9's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We have no idea what you're trying to listen too
    We don't know the design of your room
    We don't know how loud you play

Here is some feed back
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/search?Search=rtia9+amp

Here is their capability
    Lower and Upper -3dB Limits30 Hz → 26 kHz...also pending on room

Here are the recommendations for power handling....which currently you are not providing to get max potential
    Recommended Amplifier Power Per Channel 50 watts → 500 watts
    https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia9

You can also take the system to a smaller room to experiment with the info we have provided
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on

• Dmega
    Options
    The forum is full of posts from A9 users with the same question as yours and the same answer as mine.
    Yes I've read the same answers and why I'm asking for details. What is considered to be full bass...more details etc... ? how am I to know if I'm missing something or not just because people say it's so?

I wish I could borrow an amp and test it out but I don't think it's in my cards. I was hoping for better details from experienced crowd so I can evaluated my own situation.
  • Dmega
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Thanks

F1NUT is correct, and your room will also play a part in SPL's, bass performance. That's why we can't tell you what HZ it should reach and at what volume level. Specs on speakers are done in special rooms made for testing speakers, your home isn't one of those rooms and the specs will change.

On your AVR, turning up the volume to -10 should give you some ear bleeding volume, I wouldn't go much past that level unless you like ordering parts from customer service. If your feeling a need to go louder, your under powering those speakers and your receiver is running out of gas. Pushing it will only result in damage.

Also, the cabling your using plays a part in how well the speakers produce lower bass too. Lots of variables, but the main thing is power, the A9's come alive with more power and no receiver will have the power a separate amp will.

Sure, you can hook them up to your receiver, they'll play, but not at their optimal performance levels. Just my opinion, but if your not going to power a speaker to perform it's best, why have it then. No offense meant, we just get this question a million times a year around here about A9's.

If someone owns the rtia9 perhaps they can reply with the bass performance and thier size room.

I have no problem with volume...in fact-15 is uncomfortable to listen to and I know the receiver is not near its limits.

I'm using the appropriate cable length and gauge for the purpose.

I understand people ask these questions all the time and every answer helps.
    Thank you all.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    We gave you the information from experience, get an amp so you can get the potential out of your speakers...that AVR is not giving you that

• Dmega
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    We have no idea what you're trying to listen too
    We don't know the design of your room
    We don't know how loud you play

Here is some feed back
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/search?Search=rtia9+amp

Here is their capability

Here are the recommendations for power handling....which currently you are not providing to get max potential
    Recommended Amplifier Power Per Channel 50 watts → 500 watts
    https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia9

You can also take the system to a smaller room to experiment with the info we have provided

I've stated the size of the room and how loud I listen to it (music).

I asked somewhere what real people in the real world are getting in terms of bass. If they can say this plus the size of the room then I will have a better idea of what I'm comparing to.

• Dmega
    edited March 2017
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Specs mean diddly on paper for speaker numbers, my advice would be to get a nice Parasound or B&K amp with a minimum of 250 watts a channel and 50 amps peak to peak current MINIMUM. That'll wake the RTiA9 up quite nicely. Once that's going play with positioning of the speakers to obtain the best sound in your room.

The thing is I don't think parasound sells in canada anymore. I could be wrong. I was hoping to make comparisons first befor i run out and buy a seoerate amp.
    The speaker positions are already fine tuned.
  • Dmega
    Options
    We gave you the information from experience, get an amp so you can get the potential out of your speakers...that AVR is not giving you that

I appreciate your experience...perhaps you know how low it goes and at what volume in what size room? Perhaps you have taken measurements?
  • F1nut
    Options
    The forum is full of posts from A9 users with the same question as yours and the same answer as mine.
    Yes I've read the same answers and why I'm asking for details. What is considered to be full bass...more details etc... ? how am I to know if I'm missing something or not just because people say it's so?

I wish I could borrow an amp and test it out but I don't think it's in my cards. I was hoping for better details from experienced crowd so I can evaluated my own situation.

Ummm.......you said you are, "not experienced hearing deep base with authority yet", so you know you are missing something.

Having heard the A9's on a dedicated 2 channel amp I can tell you they are quite capable of chest pounding bass.

You need an amp, period....end of discussion.

President of Club Polk

• Dmega
    Options

You need an amp, period....end of discussion.
    Okay...thanks for your input.
  • Dmega
    Options
    I'm in mississauga.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2017
    Options
    FWIW for my 'A7s I have on tap a combined STOUT 500+WPC, over 100 amps.

Further I wouldn't say no to up grades that included upping the juice several more notches.

My $0.03. Tony
    Post edited by gp4jesus on
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Dmega
    Options
    I'm curious what specific differences you noted before and after upping the amps. Did you measure anything? Was bass better at lower volumes?
    gp4jesus wrote: »

Further I wouldn't say no to up grades that included upping the juice several more notches.

My $0.03. Tony

• txcoastal1
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm curious what specific differences you noted before and after upping the amps. Did you measure anything? Was bass better at lower volumes?

My $0.03. Tony

Bingo you answered your own question

Providing higher current that a good amplifier provides will extend the bass at lower volumes

• Dmega
    Options

My $0.03. Tony

Bingo you answered your own question

Providing higher current that a good amplifier provides will extend the bass at lower volumes

Well you can't answer the question with the question...I wanted to know ultimately the extent of the improvement to base line my setup.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Pending on the amp lets say a 30-50% improvement
    To many variables

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I use a RTI setup in my ht with the rti12's as the mains, an A9 for intents and purposes. It's a very large room over 20'x20' the Rti12s need power to push those three 7in subwoofers. There is a reason they are rated to 500wpc.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Dmega
    Options
    For the people who have the a9's how low have you measured them? What amps were used? The polk website state they are 19 hz capable which seems a little bit optimistic. I think I read on some review it only reached around 35 to 40 hz which I believe i get now with the mrx1120...I have to go back and look at my data.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I posted this earlier :*
    Here is their capability