Power Circuit Upgrade

I just finished closing the wall to an upgraded power circuit for my 2 channel system.
I installed a sub-panel with four 20 amp dedicated circuits. Each circuit has 10/2 MC cable feeding two duplex hospital grade outlets.
The panel is fed via a 60 amp breaker with #6 wire and has a #4 solid wire ground.
In addition the sub-panel is protected with a panel mounted surge protector.

5kl019cm0304.jpg

I sold my Tripp-Lite 2400 (with noisy transformer) and am plugging everything directly into the wall.
I separated my components between the four circuits as listed below:
1. Amplification
2. Analog
3. Digital
4. Video

me3cv2doicda.jpg

I am very happy with the results.
I seem to drawn into the music no matter which source I select. :)

Comments

• rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,325
    I'd still use a power conditioner for everything but the amps and subs.

Just my opinion, but I think you actually have less protection for your electronic components with the whole house type surge protector than you did with the Tripp-Lite, providing it was in good working order.
  • HzTweakerHzTweaker Posts: 372
    machone wrote: »
    I just finished closing the wall to an upgraded power circuit for my 2 channel system.
    I installed a sub-panel with four 20 amp dedicated circuits. Each circuit has 10/2 MC cable feeding two duplex hospital grade outlets.
    The panel is fed via a 60 amp breaker with #6 wire and has a #4 solid wire ground.
    In addition the sub-panel is protected with a panel mounted surge protector.

5kl019cm0304.jpg

I sold my Tripp-Lite 2400 (with noisy transformer) and am plugging everything directly into the wall.
    I separated my components between the four circuits as listed below:
    1. Amplification
    2. Analog
    3. Digital
    4. Video

me3cv2doicda.jpg

I am very happy with the results.
    I seem to drawn into the music no matter which source I select. :)

^This is cool. When I grow up and buy a home I'm going to install a similar setup.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,199
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I'd still use a power conditioner for everything but the amps and subs.

Just my opinion, but I think you actually have less protection for your electronic components with the whole house type surge protector than you did with the Tripp-Lite, providing it was in good working order.

You must have missed the part where he said the subpanel has a panel mounted surge protector... which means the entire panel (and anything running off it) is protected.

I have one on my main system and have 3 dedicated lines for my HT and the main reason I still run my ALC H15 is because it has more outlets than the regular wall.
  • MrBuhlMrBuhl Posts: 1,776
    That's drool-worthy. I was so happy to install two 20 amp circuits in mantown in VA, I didn't dream of anything like this...

All the while my electrician, a very nice Russian fellow saying... "you know... this eese something you do not neeed... eet eese in your head... not your earrsh."

Yea, I've heard it before, just install it baby! Difference? Fo Sho!! Congrats!
  • machonemachone Posts: 694
    Thanks
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 6,575
    edited March 27
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 957
    When I build my dedicated HT I want my system...
    ...protected with a panel mounted surge protector.
    Where do I get one?
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,028
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Where do I get one?

Lowes, Home Desperate, electrical supply house, Menards......

New Orleans? I can have it installed in a jiffy. Just ask @EndersShadow........
    I have a HD & 2 Lowe's w/in ~15-25 minutes depending.

Thnx
  • machonemachone Posts: 694
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Where do I get one?

As others have said "Lowe's/Home Depot, etc".
    Mine fit the sub-panel and took up two circuit breaker slots. If fitting into a panel make sure the surge protector is compatible with the panel.
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,004
    edited May 22
    Nice job machone! Whole House Surge Protector here also, I wouldn't be without one, if at all possible.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,922
    @machone why seperate the components that way?
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 6,575
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @machone why seperate the components that way?

No cross noise contamination. Each will have its own dedicated circuit.
    FWIW: I have my left* & right** tower amps on separate breakers.
    * shared by the CC amp
    ** shared by sub