"Stereo Review" and "Audio" at the Library

Options
My downtown library has collated and hard-bound volumes of "Stereo Review" from 1968-1999 and "Audio" from 1954(!)-2000.

Not a bad way to kill a Sunday afternoon.
32hodkhj30cp.jpg

Comments

• kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    Options
    Interesting article from a writer whose system was melted by a house fire and his attempts to restore it, including these SDAs
    0ppxvaov0kqf.jpg
  • kevinko
    Options
    I don't want to infringe on any copyright laws but would be happy to take some requests to look up some Polk reviews. I would need the most likely year that the review would have been written.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Or, for those times you don't feel like actually leaving your own chair :) most issues of Audio and many of High Fidelity are available as scanned PDFs at www.americanradiohistory.com

Much, much, much more cool stuff there as well.

(no Stereo Review though -- at least, so far)

Two other fun websites for folks with certain, perhaps arcane, vintage audio/electronics interests (offered here just in case there is anyone left on earth who doesn't know of them!).

www.radioshackcatalogs.com
    www.alliedcatalogs.com

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    With all the physical material being destroyed by libraries in recent years in favor of computers and meeting spaces, you may want to check with the librarian and ask them if they are planning on keeping those. I am surprised they still have them!
  • kevinko
    Options
    They are in excellent condition too - hard cover, climate controlled. You fill out a little slip and they dig 'em up from storage. You can't take them home, naturally. I assume they will all get auctioned off at some point.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2017
    Options
    kevinko wrote: »
    I don't want to infringe on any copyright laws but would be happy to take some requests to look up some Polk reviews. I would need the most likely year that the review would have been written.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/category/speaker-system-reviews/page-13

There are several online already.
    I posted about this months ago, do not think many saw it.
    Scroll to bottom of page.....
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    kevinko wrote: »
    Interesting article from a writer whose system was melted by a house fire and his attempts to restore it, including these SDAs
    0ppxvaov0kqf.jpg

Wonder if Talking Heads was playing at the time.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    -- or maybe Bloodhound Gang.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Guess he didn't need any more burn-in time...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kevinko
    Options
    I'll spend a few more Sundays paging through them. If I find anything of interest I'll post it.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oh you will [see things of interest], you will...

:)