Wife Gave Me A Quickie For Christmas

Options
My thoughtful wife really took care of me this past Christmas, yes a Quickie!! Ok get your minds out of the gutter. A Bottlehead Quickie. My first attempt at a pre amp DIY kit. Best part was that after I assembled it, it actually worked! And for about $160 this little guy punches way above its weight class. Of course I could not be content with the stock build so I had to upgrade the coupling caps to some Mundorf Supremes. It will take some time for them to burn in but I am really impressed with this pre. Feeling like attempting something bigger and better. Not what the wife wants to hear.gubp4vmdi4rx.jpg
d4xfvm0w6t16.jpg
b8qbb1e1ud1a.jpg
2jw0ad4zsfhj.jpg
8zfxvt962b8m.jpg

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Very nice. Always feels good to build something yourself!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    How long do the batteries last on something like that?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    batteries. quickies. my prurient interests are getting -- interested.

I need to build my Quickie one of these days. :pensive:

The batteries last for a reasonable while, methinks -- the idea of no AC power supply is pretty attractive. Lithium ion rechargeables would be a reasonably way to manage the cost of that bank of 9V batteries used to supply the B+

I played with one of these once and was quite favorably impressed (thus do I have one waiting to be built).
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Quit fookin around, Perfesser. Do it!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I told you Mr H., send me the quickie and I'll build it for you. Only problem is, I don't have an amp to hook it up too for testing.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Oh -- I could, potentially, help with that :)

Indeed, I need to touch base with a certain -- benefactor -- and figure out what's next for a certain -- amplifier.

As usual, I've been meaning to do that. But
    The road to heck is paved with good intentions.

Actually, I'd love to build the kit; just need to get my act together.
    You have probably noticed how good I am at that.

:(
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Batteries last for over 100 hrs. I don't know how many hours I have on these, but they are the original set. I am telling you, this is a easy build and you will be impressed. I am ready to move up to something like this:http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent_Sound_BEAST_OTL_Tube_Amp.html
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Very cool, I'm so tempted by these kits.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mhardy6647
    Options
    The Bottlehead kits/products are fine sounding and reasonably-priced (albeit, in most cases, not quite as 'reasonably priced' as they used to be).

The Quickie is a very cute, simple, inexpensive design with good sound.
    The 3S4 tubes it uses tend to be microphonic, but they're also cheap. I pick 'em up whenever I see 'em -- I've got a cache of them to try if I ever build the darned preamp.

:)

OK, I'll stop now and leave this side of the conversation to folks who actually have a Quickie in operational condition :blush:
  • Faustin
    Options
    "The Quickie is a very cute, simple, inexpensive design with good sound.
    The 3S4 tubes it uses tend to be microphonic, but they're also cheap. I pick 'em up whenever I see 'em -- I've got a cache of them to try if I ever build the darned preamp."

You are correct about the 3S4 tubes being microphonic. I have bought and tried 4 or 5 different brands and so far some RCA tubes from the 60's are the least microphonic. I will probably get a few more flavors to try. Build that darn thing mhardy, or send it to me and I will build it for you!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    How long do the batteries last on something like that?

I asked my wife something like that once. Now no more quickies for me.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options
    heh -- this probably wouldn't be a good time to mention that I also have an unbuilt Bottlehead Foreplay preamp in its original shipping box in the basement, would it?

:)

I had bought it for my father to build way back when. He'd wanted to build something again, so I bought it for him -- but he never did (build it). I inherited it back when he died... and so it sits in the basement. It's a plain vanilla Foreplay (I), so it would need some fairlysubstantial "upgrades" for best results, any way.

• Faustin
    Options
    You need to get on that as well. Have not heard one but it seems like it is well liked.
  • Faustin
    Options
    nbrowser....... You can do it. Go for the Quickie!