Receiver for Polk Rti a5 speakers???

Any receiver recommendations? I have two polk rtia5 speakers at 150W each. Does the receiver need to be 150W per channel?

And should I also Bi-wire or no?

I'm a rookie to home audio and I want a great system !

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2017
    Welcome to Club Polk Riadanouti!

Don't just think of the speakers you have today, but what future upgrades you might want in the future.

What features do you want it to have? Get one that has all the bells and whistles that you want it to have, but most importantly, make sure it has preouts so that in the future you can purchase a separate amplifier to ensure that your speakers are operating to their full potential.

While just about any receiver will drive them, until they are getting all the power that they need you won't really know just how good your speakers can sound just being powered by a receiver.

This has nothing to do with volume, this has to do with better clarity in both music and vocals, it also improves bass. I always suggest getting a 200wpc amp.

But right now, just focus on getting the receiver that has everything that you want it to do currently.

Tell us more on how you are going to utilize your system, and how much you are willing to spend, and if you are willing to purchase used gear.

Don't forget to think in terms of future upgrades and be willing to spend a little extra to save you money in the future.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Thank you cfrizz. Speakers are mainly used to have a cinema like feeling when I watch movies I my pretty open basement.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Are you planning to add more speakers for a 5-7 surround sound HT experience? You will also have to think about getting a sub. Do you have a budget, how big is this basement, are you able to add more speakers. Details, we need details. :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Lol sorry . Ok yeah I plan to have a 5.1 system.

Here's what I have

Polk RTia5 250w x2
    Polk R50 150W x2 (for surround or rear)
    Polk CSR 100W center
    Polk PSW 110 10" 200 Watt subwoofer

Currently an old Denon AVR 687. But I believe it's a pretty crappy receiver for what I have
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    To cover all the bases, for now or down the road, most use receivers from 3 companies, Marantz, Yamaha aventage series, or Pioneer SC series of receivers.

As a side note, you may be better off too going with a larger center channel and down the road a subwoofer from the likes of SVS or HSU. Happy listening and good luck on the receiver hunt.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    edited March 2017
    riadanouti wrote: »
    Any receiver recommendations? I have two polk rtia5 speakers at 150W each. Does the receiver need to be 150W per channel?

Forget the wattage handing rating of speakers as it means next to nothing. What matters is the nominal ohm rating and the efficiency rating.

Forget bi-wiring. Buy the best single run speaker cable you can afford and use the same type of cable to replace the stock jumper plates.

Buy the CSi A6 center speaker as it is the most important speaker in a HT rig and it will timbre match your A5's, which is very important. Replace the stock jumper plates on it also.

Buy the best AVR you can afford.

Forget about buying a separate power amp right now, you've got more basic issues to address.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    riadanouti wrote: »

Forget the wattage handing rating of speakers as it means next to nothing. What matters is the nominal ohm rating and the efficiency rating.

Forget bi-wiring. Buy the best single run speaker cable you can afford and use the same type of cable to replace the stock jumper plates.

Buy the CSi A6 center speaker as it is the most important speaker in a HT rig and it will timbre match your A5's, which is very important. Replace the stock jumper plates on it also.

Buy the best AVR you can afford.

Forget about buying a separate power amp right now, you've got more basic issues to address.

Thank you I shall try it out
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    get the best AVR you can afford. A4L sells refurbs at a great price http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Before my Signatures I had my RTi8's driven by a Marantz SR5010. Warmed them up nicely.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music