Denon 300F

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
I just got this Denon 300F in today. So far, I'm digging it.

I ordered an extra headshell so I can swap out cartridges easily. I will work on that tomorrow with the Audio-Technica AT120EB cart I got a while ago.

The reason for the tt swap is that this Denon is just easier for me to work with. The dexterity in my hands isn't 100% and, because it's a fully automatic model, it is easier for me to use. The removable headshell definitely sealed the deal though.

I will say that it sounds fine with the stock Denon cart (the replacement stylus is Denon DSN85) but I will see what kind of difference the cart swap makes tomorrow.

While it has a built in pre, I've bypassed it and I'm using the Art DJ Pre II for the moment (still waiting for my Bottlehead Reduction kit + Integration upgrade to ship out).

Unfortunately, the RCA cables are hardwired in and I cannot swap them out. I like that the PS is built in to the unit rather than having to use a wall wart but that's just a personal preference.

It's a nice looking piece of equipment but it isn't as pretty as the Stir it Up.

33590512246_9c65fbdd64_b.jpg
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    What did you do with the other tt (if I might ask)?
  • halo
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Of course Mark,

I still have it. I packed the Marley away in the original box with all the packing materials. The upgraded stylus is still installed & the original cart is safely packed away with the tt in the box as well.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Options
    Much easier to swap out the cart with the removable headshell!

AT120EB

33489345132_b5f80f358e_k.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    halo wrote: »

Of course Mark,

I still have it. I packed the Marley away in the original box with all the packing materials. The upgraded stylus is still installed & the original cart is safely packed away with the tt in the box as well.

I approve of that strategy (i.e.., that's what I would've done, were I you) :)

I think that Denon is "pretty OK" (as a former ESL colleague of mine would say) -- it doesn't aspire to anything beyond being a perfectly decent platform for playing records, which is probably a pretty darned good strategy on Denon's part. Not a hipster nor would-be DJ "toy", but a nice, basic tt with just enough "frills" (let's call them "features") not to be off-putting to a relatively new or non-fanatic record owner. These are good things!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Looks great.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • halo
    Options
    I think that Denon is "pretty OK" (as a former ESL colleague of mine would say) -- it doesn't aspire to anything beyond being a perfectly decent platform for playing records, which is probably a pretty darned good strategy on Denon's part. Not a hipster nor would-be DJ "toy", but a nice, basic tt with just enough "frills" (let's call them "features") not to be off-putting to a relatively new or non-fanatic record owner. These are good things!
    Thanks Mark :smile:

It's doing fine thus far and it's easy for my better half to use too (bonus). I don't know that it is made by Denon. I think it's a Hanpin product (looks like the Pioneer PL-30-K). It is a nice looking tt but it's not as warm & cozy looking as the Marley.