Bookshelf Speaker Orientation Question

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,463
In light of a recent hot topic forum post, I thought it would be a good time to ask this question about speaker placement.

I'm reorganizing some stuff in a small office space. The little audio rig in that space uses RT15I speakers sitting on a desk, with a sub near a corner in the room. An articulating monitor stand keeps the monitors above the speakers. It's not an ideal space, and the displays are a bit in front of the speakers by a few inches, so I know at least the tweeter dispersion is affected. I'm looking at a different monitor stand to use a pair of larger displays. I find the existing height a touch too high. I've gotten used to it a bit, but this height issue will be worse with larger displays so I'd like to be able to lower them a bit.

My questions
  • What are your thoughts on unconventional orientation of bookshelf speakers?
  • On their sides? [cringe]
  • What about upside down, with the woofer partially, possibly half obstructed by the bottom edges of displays?
  • Outside the displays width is not an option, unfortunately. Would it be better to get the speakers on brackets on the wall behind and above the displays, angled down at the listening area? It's a desk, so the listening position is 2-3ft tops from the speakers.

I've been really pleased with this little system's performance so far, and the idea of having the speakers high mounted angled down just doesn't seem right to me, but I've no experience with that, and this has to be a work space primarily, audio second. I know, it's a weak argument, but necessary to support this habit.

Okay, annnnd let 'er rip!
You can begin with insults about Irish sheepherders. I'm Scottish, so I won't be offended.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Near field may not matter as much.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    My office speakers were designed with the tweeter at the bottom, but I see no reason you couldn't do the same.

Angled down speakers never sound right to me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    Okay, I'll try them upside down for a while. First impression is not bad.
    I'll spend some time with the setup and see how it goes.

osuv9541f9fv.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You should also look at buying a set of the ADAM studio monitor pads. They are basically the same as the Auralex ones, just 1/2 the cost.

They are cut in a manner that lets you angle the speaker up, down, or leave it flat. They are like 20 bucks on Amazon so its not a big outlay. I have my Center channel in the HT room on a set of them, and the Ushers in the loft on some as well.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)