Room Design Question / Advice

Options
Guys,
I am looking to lean on your collective experience for advice in the design of my listening room. I floated an idea previously and I am rethinking my approach. Here is the question.

Does the Polk Line Source Technology remove the floor and ceiling from consideration when establishing room dimensions?

I have a large area available to me, but a limit of 8' ceiling height. What have you folks done in the past that has or has not been successful?

2 channel, SDA SRS gen1, 400 wpc target. Thinking about 15.5' x 22.5'. All advice is greatly appreciated.
Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS

Comments

• stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    Is your ceiling finished?
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    Options
    It is currently not finished. Open joists
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    www.ethanwiner.com

Lots of good info.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • stones89
    Options
    You have a great opportunity to make your ceiling disappear. An acoustical engineer designed my room and I had the same thing as you. We put cross beams between the joists every 6 inches angled at 15 degrees away from the stage or speakers. Then we glued insulation sheets between the joists. The ceiling was then covered with acoustic cloth. I believe I am correct on the angle of the cross beams, I will dig out my plans and confirm.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • crashb4
    Options
    Plans you say? I would be more than a bit interested to see what you did. I figure that I have one good attempt to get this right. I don't enjoy wasting time or $ on projects of this size based on what I think should work. There are plenty of folks who have experience in this area and I am happy to listen and read about the subject. Thanks for your input and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
  • stones89
    Options
    Correction, the crossbeams between the joists, or “blocks" are 6 inches apart and are angled 15 to 40 degrees TOWARDS the front of the room or speakers. To give you an idea of the angle the blocks should be a minimum of 5 inches from the subfloor to the bottom of the block. The result is a total ceiling diffusor.

Ceilings and floors are your most difficult issues to solve. An area rug, your choice on placement but definitely under your seat leaving the stage for the speakers hard flooring for about 6 feet. This you can experiment with....

Next are sidewalls - diffusion and absorption. Diffusion halfway between the speakers and the seated position and absorption towards the back of the room.

Lastly, corner bass traps especially in the corners on the speaker walls.

That is really it, there is a wealth of info out there on how to build absorption panels and bass traps. You can save $$$$ with some DIY...
  • crashb4
    Options
    Sweet. Thanks Stones. I appreciate your time and effort.