Bump on my head!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Manticore
Manticore Posts: 408
I was in the kitchen washing out a cup when I told my wife I ordered another speaker. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere TING :* I was seeing stars. A small 7" omelette pan to the back of the head!! Ok so it started a day earlier.

I have been testing out the new speakers over the past week and I was hearing something was off. To my ears the csiA4 center was the weak link. First off let me say there is absolutely nothing wrong with this speaker. The A4 was definitely an upgrade over my previous center that it replaced but, while watching various different movies and shows it sounded like it was lagging behind the front A7's, not in power and output, just there was a smaller sometimes hollow sound to it compared to the fronts. Most noticeable with dialog. Mostly female ( not sure if that had something to do with the TING). Best description a little hollow. I'm not sure if its due to the different size drivers than the A7's or... I did try playing with settings in the AVR. Overall I was impressed with the A4, it is a very solid center but, something was off and it bothered me.

So my solution was to order the A6 center and give it a spin. I think it more closely matches the A7's & A9"s in driver size and its overall specs. The customer service rep was courteous and extremely helpful and understanding. A pleasure to deal with. The A6 is on the way so when it gets here I can swap it out and do a comparison and then RMA the A4 back. The larger size of the A6 is not a problem as I can always just jack up that side of the house. Lol I will post about the difference sometime in the near future after the swap.

I wonder what would have happened if I had told my wife I ordered two more subs :# ...

Denon AVR X4200W
Parasound A23 amplifier
Parasound A23 amplifier
LG 65" Ultra HD4k
LG 4kBR - UP970
Denon DVM 4800
Denon DP 3000 turntable
Saec 308sx tonearm w/
Dynavector 10x5 cart
Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
Polk SDA 1C's modded
Polk LSim 707
Polk LSiM706c
Polk RTiA 3's
Polk 80F/X-RT
Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
Infinity bu2 sub
"The early Klingon gets the Gagh"

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Bobbit comes to mind
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    How many shoes and outfits does she have?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    How many shoes and outfits do you have? And how quickly can you pack them and run out the door

Fixed it for you...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Manticore
    Options
    Thankfully my wife's name is not Lorena :o

Outfits & shoes...Hmm... sounds like a bargaining point...

She certainly believes in the happy wife, happy life fairy tale.

Yeah well I guess she is correct.

Damn I am whipped!!!!!!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    Options
    Join the club. :)

And welcome to CP. If you need any assistance in spending your money, we are always happy to help.
    Sal Palooza
  • treitz3
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh, my manners. Welcome to Club Polk! You seem to be a pretty f a r t smeller.....er.....uh smart feller.

You'll fit right on in here. *winks*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    Options
    BTW, Manti: it may be helpful to remind the Mrs. that continued impudence and churlishness on her part may have a negative effect on her yearly evaluation !

That oughta do something ! o:)
    Sal Palooza
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    I am just too freakin' compliant... but I have a few toys :)
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    WOW a bonk on the head for a speaker,,, hmm should have gotten an LSI.

I would take a bonk for a new sub or something but my wife knows better. No I am not a wife beater either. I have too many cop friends

You will like the A6 over the A4. I had a CSi3 and changed it out for a CSi5 and yes it was a BIG difference.

I wish Polk would make a big Signature for a center. No I am not laying an S55 on its side either.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • treitz3
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum and watch for flying speakers.
    Flying speakers you say?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6hq6bUf4gI9FwUUbn_Hduk4pneLWbLYP4defUOWtD81hWDeottg

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    ^^^ I've seen that picture before... that must have been a bad day. I'm going to guess the speaker didn't fare so well?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• treitz3
    Options
    The speaker and James did not fare well just micro moments after this picture was taken. The speaker was totaled. James survived but still has scars.

Tom
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Eh....a 7 in. omelet pan means she still loves you dude. If she didn't, she'd had used a baseball bat with nails in it.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new speaker.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    Options
    Oh wow, my manners! Thanks for pointing that out Tony, I didn't notice.

Manticore, please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to Club Polk!

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Like the old saying goes:
    "It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission."...or in your case take a pan upside the head

Anyway congrats and welcome to Club Polk

Center channels rule #1: go as big as you can

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Manticore
    Options
    Sometimes it seems that we tend to make a purchase based on reviews and knowledge (although somewhat limited at times knowledge) and then you learn from your mistakes. That "I can save a hundred bucks" doesn't work out all the time.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    "It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission."...or in your case take a pan upside the head

Sound advice! Really looking forward to the new center A6. This could have been much worse...I could have told you "my tv stand was too small" :*
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Manticore wrote: »
    Sometimes it seems that we tend to make a purchase based on reviews and knowledge (although somewhat limited at times knowledge) and then you learn from your mistakes. That "I can save a hundred bucks" doesn't work out all the time.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Sound advice! Really looking forward to the new center A6. This could have been much worse...I could have told you "my tv stand was too small" :*

LOL....A smart a$$.....excellent, you'll fit right in pal. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Manticore
    Options
    Well the A6 had arrived and after two days of use it's a huge improvement over the A4. The A6 has a much more pronounced & fuller sound to it. Its like in the beginning of the movie "Troy" when the huge soldier comes out to fight Achilles. Its that I AM Here type of situation. Gotta love it!!!
    Due to its size it couldn't be mounted directly under the screen like the A4 was but about 2 feet below. At first it was somewhat noticeable that the dialog was coming from a different place but within an hour it was not even noticeable that there was a difference.
    84ekqeoxmrgs.jpg

19ct25v1t08f.jpg

So all in all the A6 is what I was looking for in sound. If you have the room I highly recommend the A6 over the smaller but capable A4.

It was well worth the bump on my head.

And now to find an amplifier!!! :)
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but is there any space to tip the front of the center up even a smidge?

That could potentially help even more.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Or put a shelf barely below the lip of that sill and put it on their
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Manticore
    Options
    Thanks for the input. There is room to place something under the front portion of the speaker to raise it up to an inch or so. I will look for something suitable around the house. Something unobtrusive to the eyes.

I thought about a small shelf below the lip also... still thinking. The A4 was on the shelf just below the tv. The A6 also would fit in height & length but would overhang about 5". Just didn't look right. For now I think I will try to increase the angle a little and see how that sounds/looks. Thanks
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Options
    LOL I have purposely stayed away from that entire post. I did follow it but, I didn't feel it was right for a newcomer to jump on the back of the turnip truck!!! :o
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's