Tubes on Ebay- Warning

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,082
edited March 2017 in The Clubhouse
I don't usually post about tubes FS on Ebay being fakes or whatever. But I thought I'd give a heads up to tube buyers here about this listing if anyone is watching/bidding.

I don't think the seller is doing anything wrong, just listing what he sees, but something doesn't look right.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/282398584920?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They have the Euro markings between the pins in what looks like a legit Philips Copenhagen code with the Isosceles triangle and the correct ECC82, long plate code of k6x, but the internals of the tube is all wrong for it to be of Euro origin. The seller is saying they are Heerlen (because of the triangle). Never seen a Heerlen tube that had painted coded in between the pins. The Heerlen tubes I have ever seen have the 2 line etched code on the bottle.

A single staple and tapered plate ends just don't jive with anything I'm aware of from Philips Europe. Looks like a slanted D or square getter w/no post but it's hard to see. Weirdly there seems to be the cross hatch on the top of the tubes like Philips tubes have.

What a weird hybrid looking tube.

To me it looks like a typical CBS/GE tube w/Euro markings. I suppose the seller or someone else could have put those codes on there, but they look very legit. It's rare to see a Philips tube use an American made tube w/their factory markings. Except the cross hatch on the tube top has me a bit stumped.

I suppose anything is possible.

Point is, I am pretty sure these are not "rare" 50's Heerlen or Copenhagen tubes, so bid accordingly.

This is a public service announcement, now back to your regularly scheduled program :)

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on