Intro and a few Monitor 10 Question. Just acquired a pair.

Options
Was referred here from another audio forum as I was luck enough to pick up a nice pair of Monitor 10's locally. Have read for some time the rave reviews of these, just have never had an opportunity to land a set. My plan is to address the minor issues and add them to the rotation. Anxious to see how they sound once they are up and running.

Wanted to share a few pictures, and tried to only focus on the worst spots of both speakers. They are very clean and virtually undamaged.

Issues are:
1. minor dings on a few edges/corners
2. two of the speaker grill mounts are broke
3. have a scratchy midrange
4. one of the mids has some "white" around the dust cap. Not sure what it is exactly. Advice on cleaning that?
5. coating on one of the tweeter leads has pulled loose

Not sure what model they are? Got a good pic of the tweeter and serial numbers.

Two of the speaker grill mounts are broke off. Looks like partsexpress has them but not sure which part # is correct 260-366, 260-367, 260-368? Or should I look elsewhere?

I have pulled the midrange from the cabinet. Has what I assume is a voicecoil issue and sounds "scratchy" even at very low volume. Will get it to local speaker shop and see what they have to say. Is it typically cheaper to have it repaired or try and find a used one?

Only other issue I can find is the covering on one of the tweeter wires has lifted. Any suggestions on how to "glue" or re-attach that back down over top of the lead/wire?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice. Looking forward to getting these back into service.

Brad
Deep Ellum TX

ro4kapyo4i38.jpg
v0onp7mez3v2.jpg
3utbwu7ehbg9.jpg
1ck9jjopxxm6.jpg
d9b2ahbryz72.jpg
x8izgvfug459.jpg
aw477yurhe6w.jpg
a2bf5pcrll3v.jpg
fkkqag61qy4k.jpg

Comments

• blandis
    blandis Posts: 13
    Options
    DSkip
    Live in Deep Ellum. Have always been a fan of vintage audio, but just started getting back into attempting to find my ideal setup. I know..... is that ever possible.

Not real technical and am very grateful for forums like these and those individuals who take the time to share their knowledge and experience. I am always amazed at those that have the patience to "teach/coach" those of us who want to learn.

I try to rotate gear when an opportunity presents itself. Picked up these near AT&T Stadium.... cant be to far from you. I was actually looking at a truck and got to talking to the gentleman. He was going to throw them out or donate them as they were "blown." Now the work begins.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    1. It's a vinyl covering, not much can be done. Touch up marker is your best bet.
    2. Parts Express. Measure yours and get the closet one, but it will not be exact.
    3. Magnet has shifted. Buy a replacement.
    4. Glue residue. Windex should remove it.
    5. Replace both tweeters with RD0194-1 available from Polk.

You have Monitor 10B's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• blandis
    Options
    F1 thank you. Replacement squawker... used one best option?
  • blandis
    Options
    DSkip may take you up on the offer and make the trip over. Will make sure I leave the checkbook at home. I appreciate the feedback and guidance. As I said earlier I appreciate the time and free advice all share.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    How many midwoofers are bad?
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    blandis wrote: »
    DSkip may take you up on the offer and make the trip over. Will make sure I leave the checkbook at home. I appreciate the feedback and guidance. As I said earlier I appreciate the time and free advice all share.

Just show up to LSAF, more of a grass roots hang out for audio junkies. Plenty of DIY/Vintage/ and new...not a stuffy sales show. The bonus is all of us crazy nuts....and we'll have beer
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • blandis
    Options
    DK just one of the mids is bad. Have pulled it from the cabinet. May just run it to Freeman Tuell. Fortunately I live about 10 minutes from them. Any recommendations locally to recondition few SS receivers?
  • blandis
    Options
    Sounds like I may fit right in at LSAF. Great tunes, beer drinking, and BS'ing. Lot of note taking on my end as I got the audio bug about a year ago with an old 7051 Zenith that my dad had many moons ago. Still surprised at how good it sounds.

Have always had a love for classic rock. I was the guy in HS (late 80's) still cranking Burgers Hot Tuna, ELO, Nazareth, on my Jensen Triaxle 6x9's no less, while everyone else was on the Twisted Sister ride.

Have already picked up a ton of tips here just reading. Just run out of free hours in the day to dig and read. Maybe at some point I contribute something worthwhile. For now I will do my best to keep my "already been covered 100 times" questions to a minimum.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You'll fit right in
    Most in the same age group, some a little older some a little younger, and I'd say most are definitely classic rock enthusiasts

Think of it this way. 2 floors of apartments, open doors, kicking it in the living room BS knee deep, jammin' tunes....with a beer or beverage B)

Also bring some Cd's :)

If you're interested I'll PM you my number, be glad to introduce you to MOST :p of the guys
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I picked up a single monitor 10 with two good 6503 mids in it and a good tweeter.If interested pm me and I will let you have it for what I paid for it which wasn't much.I live pretty close to you also.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • blandis
    Options
    TX appreciate that offer, and would appreciate that.

DK sent you a PM regarding a 6503.
  • blandis
    Options
    DK has taken good care of me. The donor speaker he hooked me up with got me up and running. Called the Polk Audio Hotline (dk's personal number) today with a few questions. 2 rings and they answer......

Have had a bit of time to sample them with a few receivers I have. Have a "crack" with a handful of songs as they are pushed a bit with one of the speakers. DK suggested the air test and it leaks off fairly quickly. Looks like a sealing issue. Did snug all the screws and did not seem to help. Will spend more time over the weekend possibly investigating.

Dilemma already is how much time/effort and $$ do I sink into these? Or do I let these go and step up. It rhetorical..... I know.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    edited April 2017
    Options
    > Dilemma ...

Depends on your: $$$; time; age/energy/strength/handiness/tools/helpers; sound/volume/music/movie preferences; hearing; room size/layout/composition; speaker size/shape/color/location preferences; alternate/additional speaker availability; amp/preamp/source selection; sub/center/surround selection; ego/prestige needs; vintage/sentimental appreciation; and wife/SO/children factors -- to name a few.

In other words, yes. For most it's an ongoing and ever-changing dilemma/challenge/pursuit/passion/hobby. ;^)
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.