Outdoor AVR, how do you do it?

Options
So I'm thinking I need to add a bit o sound outside to my yard this summer. I've got a nice decently powerful stereo AVR that I could use with a pair, or pairs of Polk Atrium speakers.

Here is my question. Do you build a waterproof type box to store it in in weather, do you disconnect it each time you want to use it, etc.

I do not really have anywhere that I could put it inside and then run the wiring outside without a ton of work.

So I'm looking for solutions that DO NOT involve bluetooth speakers lol....
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Options
    Put the receiver in the basement. Run speaker wire from there.

P
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    bikezappa wrote: »
    P

Run the cables underground like most and get outdoor speakers....

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I use a Multi Channel amp that lives in my basement that runs all the Multi Room speakers around my house. I have 7 pairs outside of my Theater system.
    I use Sonos as my source so I can go outside and control my volume and music selection from my iPhone.
    My Atrium speakers have been mounted to my house on my deck for 13 years now. They probably should be replaced soon but they still work.
    My wiring is direct burial for outdoors which is different then standard indoor speaker wire. Audioquest FLX 14-4 is direct burial and thats what I use. It's amazing wire and can be used for just about any audio system setup. For awhile I was completely wired in my Theater with FlX 14-2 but I changed that to Rocket 44 for all channels including the surrounds.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I use a Pioneer Elite reciever (older model) set up in garage with four JBL control 25's under the overhang from garage. Use a five disc CD player from GW. Drill two holes through garage wall to get to speakers. Put it on shuffle . I also bring out my Benq 1080 projector and set it on a folding table w PS3 and run two IC's to garage system on movie nights. Keep us posted. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    My receiver is on the inside by my dining room, drilled a hole through the wall to run speaker wire. Unless your walls are solid concrete, which I doubt, a small hole is easy to drill. I control it from the outside with my phone or Sonos controller which is connected to the receiver inside. You could do that too with a 30 buck chromecast I would imagine also.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    My avr has been outside for a couple years now. It doesn't get directly rained on but it does get snowed on if it's windy enough. I fired it up last week and it sprung to life no problem and started playing the station I left it on a few months ago.

Avr's are cheap and ubiquitous so if it dies at some point it doesn't really matter. I certainly wouldn't keep something of value outside. Even if it's covered it will get condensation from the temperature swings
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    Both @tonyb and @moterstereo offer good suggestions. A third is to get a tiny t-amp from amazon or parts express. They sound surprisingly good with efficient bookies, and I would be happy with that combo for outdoor tunes. Much easier to shelter from the elements.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    bikezappa wrote: »
    P

Run the cables underground like most and get outdoor speakers....

This is how I have it. I have 2 extra channels on 1 of my multi-channel amps. Drill a hole through the wall as Tony suggests and bury it underground. My phone controls the Sonos up to about 70-80 yards away.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Well, if I had a basement, I could see putting it in there, but I dont so thats not an option.

I get the wiring part as outdoor wiring was something I was aware I needed to do.

It was mainly to see what enclosures (if any) you guys were using. I'd already planned on a bluetooth adapter to hook up phones and whatnot.

As @lightman1 can attest to, the layout of my house is not really ideal for storing the AVR anywhere near where I would need it to be, so its gotta be outside or not at all....

My main concern was the hot/cold we get here, although I could just pull it back inside come fall/winter, though lately with 60 degree swings in weather you never know.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Just get a pair of Sonos Play:1's and a Sonos bridge...no wires, no AVR, easy storage, .....point to playlist and go :)
    http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/play1.html
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Just get a pair of Sonos Play:1's and a Sonos bridge...no wires, no AVR, easy storage, .....point to playlist and go :)

Still requires power which is one of the things Dan seems to be lacking. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Still requires power which is one of the things Dan seems to be lacking. ;)

I'm sure the guy has an outdoor wall socket, don't think they build homes without them. Still, the Sonos solution is probably more than Dan wanted to spend on this.

Dan, you have a system upstairs in that loft area, why can't you drill a hole through the wall there and run wire out to your yard ? Or go up through the attic and drill a hole there at the rear of the house ?

I wouldn't suggest keeping electronics outside, in Midwest weather. Arizona is another story. If you have a covered patio, maybe....still you'd have moisture issues.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @tonyb

The issue is the layout of the house. Yes I have a loft, but the loft is on the second story. Where I was wanting to mount the speakers is a bumpout for the eat in kitchen which meets the deck. The logistics wouldn't work in this case.

What I wanted to avoid (as its likely a non starter with the wife), is mounting the AVR high up on a shelf in the eat in kitchen area and drilling through the wall to run wire to the Atriums.

Some pics to help illustrate. Some are from the listing when we bought the house that I marked up for other stuff, so this isnt my decorating or furniture...

The loft is on the back corner of the house on the second floor.

example1.jpg

21265824_J01_101.jpg

The rear wall of the loft closet is against the exterior of the house (but no outlets inside). The rear wall of the loft itself is actually NOT the exterior of my house as there is the Master Bath between it and the outside. So there is no real good way to run wires unless I went up into the attic, then out the sofit.

And that still doesnt help me as its on the second floor.

The entire section below is a bumpout with its own roofline, which I was going to mount the atriums under

21265824_B01_102.jpg

So looks like my only real option is to mount the AVR on a shelf up in the corner, put holes through the wall for the atriums and that should work and keep it out of the weather....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well time to buy a new house pal :p
    or a BOOM box ;)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Source is my Pioneer N50 which I stream to from my NAS or Tidal using BubbleUPnP on my phone or a tablet as the controller. That connects to the main networked Pioneer AVR whose zone2 out goes to extra channels on an Outlaw 770 which feeds an Adcom GFS-4 speaker selector. Have speakers on the deck, in the garage, kitchen, & my basement shop. Aside from manually selecting speakers on the Adcom, I can control the whole shebang from my mobile device.

Not what you want to hear, but, yes, I had to open walls, pull down sofits, & do other things which you'd rather not do to run speaker wire. Bite the bullet & run the wire. Having one integrated solution, which aside from the speaker selector & speakers did not require the purchase of extra equipment, rocks.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I'll be using an RX a1010 to power 4 atriums in the backyard this year all controlled via the Yamaha app. When the electricians were over doing their thing for the pool, I had them install a waterproof electrical box so that I can run my cables outside. I bought 150 feet of cable I can burry. That's how I'll be running my music, 2 by the pool and 2 in the gazebo using party mode on the amp to run two zones and the 4 speakers playing the same music, oh and running off my rotel 1075.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @helipilotdoug

Is your Furez wire able to be buried? I know its in-wall rated, but wasn't sure about the other.

In my case it would more than likely be dealing with weather 24/7 as I would run it along/under the sofit outside
  • tonyb
    Options
    I'm still confused Dan, that loft area has an outside wall, unless the window is overlooking the bedroom. lol Doesn't matter if it's on a second floor or third floor, once the wire is outside you can run it under the roof line wherever you need to go.

In the dining area, replace that top shelf to the right of the sliders with a slightly bigger shelf, drill a hole there. You can also just get a taller shelving unit for that corner and use it for the same purposes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I'll be in Noblesville on Saturday, Dan. I'll pop by and eyeball it for you.
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Spiffy. I know you just want to spend time with your tube amps and I'm just "there" but I will take it lol
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I keep trying to get him to go with a solution designed for self containment and outdoor use but he refuses because his OCD means once he gets an idea in his brain, he refuses to consider alternatives. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • lightman1
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I keep trying to get him to go with a solution designed for self containment and outdoor use but he refuses because his OCD means once he gets an idea in his brain, he refuses to consider alternatives. ;)

Fixing that problem on Saturday, Ryan.
    Skye and myself will make sure he doesn't booger up the program with his linear thinking.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    This otta' work :)

25drv8v58m6g.jpg

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Dan are you a Libra?

• lightman1
    Options
    Thanks for the restraints idea, Ron. Heading over to Lowes and getting a contractor pack in a few. That should keep him out of my hair.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I'd watch him real close Dan, considering he quit smoking. Might drill a hole the size of a softball in your wall. Which you can then use that space for a service bar for the patio.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Dan are you a Libra?

Don't think so... June 6 bday so whatever that is

• EndersShadow
    Options
    It's ok, if he stopped smoking I can bet he hasn't stopped drinking lol... so I'm good
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Dan are you a Libra?

Gemini, just about the same

• EndersShadow
    Options
    Dan are you a Libra?

Gemini, just about the same

So I can blame it all on that? Can't WAIT to tell my wife that's why I am the way I am... it's the DAMN STARS FAULTS!