Finished up my new mountain bike!

Options
Started buying up the parts late the past fall and finally got around to finishing up my new cross country bike build!

Went with a Niner Air 9 RDO frame and Fox Factory Float 32 100mm fork (both last years models), full XT M8000 1x11 drivetrain and XT M8000 hydro's with "ice tech" rotors. Decided to have a set of Stan's Arch MK3 wheels built up using XT M8000 hubs. It's not the "normal" way to do these wheels, but I LOVE the durability and serviceability of Shimano hubs...

Decided on Schwalbe "Racing Ralph" tires (29x2.25 front and rear) that I'm still not sure that I like. These things do not seem to want to seal up in a tubeless setup to save their lives...

Schwalbe has already sent me a new set of tires as the originals were like swiss cheese. These seem to be better, but the front is still not holding consistent pressures to my satisfaction. Hopefully they just need a bit more time, and probably more sealant.

Once the 22" of snow melts I might be able to actually get a real ride in on this thing. :|

This is my first carbon framed bike, so I anticipate riding like a grandmother on my first few rides...

133FBE63-D9A3-4D58-AA28-74DFFF4A6FA2_zpsbwoqlobu.jpg

34525951-8025-4795-8885-AE3A8E634ECD_zpsgbixk9zp.jpg

8222DE80-FC6A-4A33-B7CE-F388CA23EB34_zpsz5e0keis.jpg

9344907E-8031-4446-BF05-5AE965A295AB_zpsiys1qng2.jpg

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Man that sure is sweet....I will venture into a mtn bike soon but have been road biking it down here for now... Just got a trek Domane ALR 4 which is aluminum frame and I can lift it with my pinkie finger. it is very fast and handles like a dream. The frame flexes and seat post is isolated so it is very comfortable and stable... I have even graduated to shoes with shimano clips... which took a little "learnin" only fell once which was on my lawn ... no broken bones...just looked like that guy from Benny Hill on the tricycle.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Man that sure is sweet....I will venture into a mtn bike soon but have been road biking it down here for now... Just got a trek Domane ALR 4 which is aluminum frame and I can lift it with my pinkie finger. it is very fast and handles like a dream. The frame flexes and seat post is isolated so it is very comfortable and stable... I have even graduated to shoes with shimano clips... which took a little "learnin" only fell once which was on my lawn ... no broken bones...just looked like that guy from Benny Hill on the tricycle.

That Domane is a nice bike. I looked at them when I was deciding what new bike I wanted.

I briefly thought about a road or gravel bike, but decided I did not want to give up the versatility of my cross country rig.

As for the Benny Hill out-take, we have all been there! haha
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    What is the top speed on that thing? Looking at the gears, I would estimate 35MPH-38MPH with your legs spinning so fast, you wouldn't be able to keep them on the pedal! Great climbing gears though, I see.

Very nice bike man. My old Cannondale Delta Killer V (1st one sold in NC) must be nearing 20-25 years old by now. Nothing is original but the frame and the water bottle holder screws. Everything else has been custom added to fit my exacting needs, down to the very last cog.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    What is the top speed on that thing? Looking at the gears, I would estimate 35MPH-38MPH with your legs spinning so fast, you wouldn't be able to keep them on the pedal! Great climbing gears though, I see.

Very nice bike man. My old Cannondale Delta Killer V (1st one sold in NC) must be nearing 20-25 years old by now. Nothing is original but the frame and the water bottle holder screws. Everything else has been custom added to fit my exacting needs, down to the very last cog.

Tom

Have not tested speed on it yet. But It should be plenty quick for what I'm looking for.

I did switch to the 1x11 system last year on my old Specialized and I was worried I would miss some of the old "top speed" capability, did not miss it a bit. For where I spend 99% of my pedaling time, the 1x11 system was far more efficient and ended up being much faster than my old 3x9 drivetrain.

My gearing selection was a bit of an educated guess as I have not ridden this system on a 29" wheeled bike before. I figure I will get some miles under my belt on the bike as it sits and adjust as needed.

Having said that, if I was a road cyclist I would never look at a 1x drivetrain. Having a wider gear range is far more important on the road than on a trail.

You're just not going to hit sustained high speeds on the trail like you can on the road...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    Beautiful! Always loved the Niner stuff.
    Bikes are another obsession of mine, though, for the past several years, I've been content to just ride. How to translate that to audio, I wish I knew.
    I have even graduated to shoes with shimano clips... which took a little "learnin" only fell once which was on my lawn ... no broken bones...just looked like that guy from Benny Hill on the tricycle.
    Haha, funny - yeah, when moving to clipless, I think everyone forgets they're clipped in. Just once :) Mine happened down at the Oceanfront, in front of a bunch of people. I was riding with a friend, and we were slowing to a stop near an intersection. You can connect the dots from here on out. I managed to get one foot out when I realized what was happening, but of course, I go over on the side I can't release. That's what I get for laughing at Aaron S. from the neighborhood when we were kids. His shoelace got wound around his pedal, and he went down in the street, with a car approaching. It was exactly like this. Except his screaming wasn't silent. And neither was my laughter.
    47b6nyai5olh.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    PS - building one's own bike just seems to add an extra layer of enjoyment to the ride, knowing you've chosen and installed every component yourself.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    PS - building one's own bike just seems to add an extra layer of enjoyment to the ride, knowing you've chosen and installed every component yourself.

It's fantastic knowing that I hand picked everything that went into this bike.

Right down to exactly how I wanted my wheels.

I also got to enjoy the pure "joy" of learning internal cable routing... :#

The PURE terror of cutting your first steerer tube on your fork! I must have measured 50 times before I made that cut!

haha
  • msg
    Options
    Hahaha, I know, man, no amount of measuring takes that anxiety away!
    The only thing that does is when it's for someone else's bike.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    6dtvlqey6wyf.jpg

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    6dtvlqey6wyf.jpg

Complete with all reflectors and the dork disc!

• Mikey081057
    Options
    and with the optional smart phone holder!

• Upstatemax
    Options
    and with the optional smart phone holder!

I hold mine in my teeth...

But seriously, I'm considering a hydration pack this season. One, I want to start taking some longer trips and two, I in no way want to mount a water bottle cage to my frame.

One of the most common carbon frame failures that I've seen happen there...
  • treitz3
    Options
    Wouldn't that be covered under warranty?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    This'll work

sxjouijwzz5i.png

• Upstatemax
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be covered under warranty?

It technically could be. But I would have to jump through a ton of hoops and they will probably tell me it's somehow my fault anyway...

probably read something like this; "Thank you for contacting Niner Bikes! We appreciate your business and interest in Niner Bikes. Unfortunately, your warranty claim cannot be completed because we are just going to say that you must have over torqued that bolt. Should you say that you did not and always used a proper torque wrench, we will follow up with how it's your torque wrenches fault. It's clearly out of spec and I should contact the wrenches manufacturer..."

I'm sure it will end with how they are willing to sell me a new frame for a great price though!

I'll just skip all of that and not use a bottle cage.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    meh just use a little duct tape

• Upstatemax
    Options
    Meh, I already ordered an Osprey Raptor 10 pack.

Two bourbons in, my ability to not hit the "complete order" button is pretty weak...
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    This how the average Joe torques stuff. "Tighten until it turns freely, then tighten an additional 1/2 turn".....Lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    This how the average Joe torques stuff. "Tighten until it turns freely, then tighten an additional 1/2 turn".....Lol.

That's how I used to torque stuff.

Now that I have a carbon bike, not really willing to risk it. Lol

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Very nice looking bike. This is my trail rig. Don't get to ride it much much its a great machine

IMG_20160701_184011_zpsb5w7xyeg.jpg
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • treitz3
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hmmmm, I understand where you at. Aluminum frames never had the same issue but they had an issue with splitting upon hard impact and severing.......whatever......(VERY important). That would most likely be on the human body itself depending on the weld and failure point.

So long as we all know the ramifications beforehand...

Tom
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Sweet ride Max, and all XT components real nice. I hope all that snow melts soon so you can get it all full of mud. Enjoy your new ride B)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Very nice looking bike. This is my trail rig. Don't get to ride it much much its a great machine

IMG_20160701_184011_zpsb5w7xyeg.jpg

Nice!

Specialized Enduro?
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Sweet ride Max, and all XT components real nice. I hope all that snow melts soon so you can get it all full of mud. Enjoy your new ride B)

I legit might be a few weeks out...

Weather is supposed to get into mid 40's during the day a few times this week, but it's COLD overnight.

Not only am I dying to get out on it, but I NEED to get back into some kind of shape as my annual hiking/camping trip is fast approaching. :#
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Nice!

Specialized Enduro?

Indeed, 2016 Enduro 650b. A much more capable bike than I am a rider but its nice to have something that can handle pretty much anything
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Indeed, 2016 Enduro 650b. A much more capable bike than I am a rider but its nice to have something that can handle pretty much anything

I don't like finding the limits of my stuff either. :)

I honestly did not plan on having a frame of this caliber. I just came across them right after they released the 2017 version of the frame and could not pass on the price.

If I would have paid full price for the frame, it would have officially cost as much as my old, complete Specialized Stumpjumper.

The old Stumpjumper was tough to move on from. I love that bike, it served me VERY well for 10 years. About the only thing left on it from Specialized was the Fox fork.

I still think the old Specialized M4/M5 hardtail frames are some of the best hardtail frames ever produced. I wish I could have afforded a carbon version of them at the time...

But once I decided it was time to move on to a 29er, I really liked what Niner was doing with their frames. After all, it's what they do!

I clearly need to get some more saddle time, but already this thing feels like a rocket. You push on the pedal and it just takes off.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Went for the first ride today!

Trail was a flooded mess...

Nothing brings you back to reality on your current physical conditioning like a leg sapping, soft, wet trail!

Either way, it was GREAT to back out and on the bike!

This bike is a ROCKET compared to the old alloy Stumpjumper. It's a bit awkward in slow turns since I made the move to 29" wheels, but it's MUCH more nimble and connected than I expected it to be.

The new Osprey Raptor 10 hydration pack is awesome. plenty of space for tools and accessories and holds a ton of water for me. I'm not a "tiny" guy (5' 11", 175 pounds) but I still wish it could tighten down more with the straps. I would like to be able to adjust it up to ride a bit higher on the back.

image5_zpst4d5rish.jpg

Somehow she still looks clean, but the trail was a mess!

• Upstatemax
    Options
    Oh, I forgot!

As soon as I got home, I jumped onto backcountry.com and ordered a set of Shimano XT M8000 pedals...

I AM FINISHED with these Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals...

You have an ounce of mud on your cleats, forget about clipping in quickly. When they are perfectly clean and lubricated, they clip in pretty good. But a mile or two into a ride, I can feel them getting worse and worse.

One good thing about them, getting out of the pedal in a hurry is perfect. Never had them accidentally unclip, yet they unclip in an emergency bail out without even trying.

overall, I was happier with a Shimano SPD system and I'm ready to go back.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    SPD's are great... SBD's stink

:D

I took the road bike out today and it was about 89* ...25 miles and I was done...

• 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Juzt put Race Face Chesters on my Stache 7.... amazing flat pedal grip.
    That's a Rock Shox fork?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2