Anyone use different output levels for different sources?

1235»

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2017
    My car is a 1995, still original clutch. Just don't let your teenager learn to drive on it. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    nobody wants a race car that's an automatic.

F1 cars are for all practical purposes automatic. They have to hit the paddle to shift, but they do not push in a clutch pedal during the race. The teams would prefer fully automatic, but the FIA won't allow it. You cannot shift one gear in a manual faster than they can shift 3 or 4.

Most super cars these days are automatic, of course you have the option to manually shift utilizing paddle shifter technology trickled down from F1.

Nascar....those guys are living in the dark ages. It was only a few years ago that they finally got rid of carburetors. What a joke that racing series has turned left into.
    Automatics are just so uninspiring to drive to me. Plus a manual loses less power than an auto so more power to the wheels less lost to heat, better MPG, and as a broad generality more reliable.

Josh, that's outdated thinking. I think you'd be surprised how much fun it can be to drive a sporty car with an automatic these days.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Anybody notice the OP has disappeared?

Crawled away to lick the wounds of embarrassment.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    Josh, that's outdated thinking. I think you'd be surprised how much fun it can be to drive a sporty car with an automatic these days.

I'll bet that you're right, I've not driven a paddle shift auto or anything new and similar. I amend my statement. My income dictates outdated vehicles, hence my likely outdated thinking. A 1995 manual or a 1995 automatic? In 2039 when I buy a 2017, I'll give one a shot. :) To be fair, I could afford a much newer car but I'd rather use that money on audio, concerts, and video games, my clunker still reliably gets me to work and the store as well as a new car would.

I still stand by enjoying a clutch. Maybe I'm a ****. (I think that's the word I'm looking for)

Edit s a d i s t is blocked? Maybe it doesn't mean what I think it means.

• F1nut
    No worries broham, my income dictates my life as well.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'll never buy a vehicle with an auto transmission, stick shift for life.

Easy to say when you live in BFE
    Live where there is traffic, auto Tran becomes a must
    Well, not really -- I drove a manual in the Boston metro area for about 25 years.
    Depends more on the car (gearbox & clutch), I'd opine.

BUT

When we lived in the Silicon Valley, I had a Chevy Cavalier hatchback with a four-speed manual & a very stiff clutch. Used to commute CA route 237 (not a freeway in those days) between Milpitas & Sunnyvale in awful stop-and-go traffic (especially in the evenings). When I got home from work, the muscles in my left leg used to be quivering :neutral:

The Cavalier had no power steering either -- it was a real pig to drive.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    I need a smoke.

One one big fatty, because this turned into one big circle jerk...

You say that as if it were a bad thing.
    Anybody notice the OP has disappeared?

Coincidence? I think not ;)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Hey,

anyone use different output levels for different sources?

B)>:)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Or do you just try to plug and play and use tone controls?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Today's automatic transmissions typically give better mpg and faster acceleration as they generally have more speeds than their manual counterparts and shift faster than humanly possible. Not to mention the timing of the shift in the rev range is near perfect.

However, manual is more fun and allows the driver to feel more connected to the car. I have had sportier cars over the years all except one had a manual transmission, although the G35 coupe was the was my favorite of the bunch it also had the auto. Really regretted not getting the 6m. It would have taken it from good to great.

And as good as the auto's are now I won't make that mistake again. I have plans to purchase a Corvette Grand Sport next September, and I am definitely getting the manual.

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Hey,

anyone use different output levels for different sources?

B)>:)

Yes I have the trim level set on max for my phono input. It sounds fine for the rare times I feel like slummin and playing a record. The rest of the inputs are all set at 0 (no boost or cut)
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Where did the OP go? Awe he likes to argue too much.

I would like to have a manual but 2 hours a day in traffic says automatic. We don't have the funds for a fun car so I am stuck with my Kia and it's 6 speed auto.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited March 2017
    To adjust my output levels with different input sources, I've generally found that equalization can be achieved by pounding on the top of my Sansui RA-500 reverb amp.
    Quick and easy without having to tweak any knibbler pins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tAh4ZKp1X8

I should note that it doesn't always work when using my 8-track tape player. Sometimes I find that I have to also pound on the top of the the 8-track deck; I think that's more of a head alignment thing, though. I'm not sure.

As far as auto vs manual transmissions: "Slip n' Slide With Powerglide" baby ! That says it all right there. All you need to know. 'Nuff said. Case closed.
    ....... that's all I've got. B)

Sal Palooza
  • don0
    don0 Posts: 78
    Now that the input volume levels have been settled, how do fix the volume levels when switching between Dolby digital and PCM channels on satellite TV.
  • don0
    don0 Posts: 78
    don0 wrote: »
    Now that the input volume levels have been settled, how do fix the volume levels when switching between Dolby digital and PCM channels on satellite TV.

Should be how do we fix---
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Don't tweak the knibbler pins, BBL. If you short them out against triple buck flange suppressors, it develops a burst of anti-matter that will cause your speakers to do a lateral dimention shift and the blinking 12:00 on the VCR to change to 1:00.
    Safety tip to live by.
    And there's the black hole thing at the neighbors house, too.
    Don't ask how I know........ :s
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    nbrowser wrote: »
    To adjust my output levels with different input sources, I've generally found that equalization can be achieved by pounding on the top of my Sansui RA-500 reverb amp.
    Quick and easy without having to tweak any knibbler pins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tAh4ZKp1X8

I should note that it doesn't always work when using my 8-track tape player. Sometimes I find that I have to also pound on the top of the the 8-track deck; I think that's more of a head alignment thing, though. I'm not sure.

As far as auto vs manual transmissions: "Slip n' Slide With Powerglide" baby ! That says it all right there. All you need to know. 'Nuff said. Case closed.
    ....... that's all I've got. B)

May I offer some advice, with 8 tracks it helps to shoe a matchbook in UNDER the cartridge to obtain the best output levels...now this works extremely well with audiophile grade matchbooks made from snake skin and oil to achieve the slipperyest of insertion to provide optimum playback. This does help with tape/head alignment problems.

Flashback! But consider the different species of snakeskin, Ken. Your common black racer doesn't present a soundstage and clarity of, say a Burmese Python.
    Or the sublte bass note decay of a Coral snake.
    .02 of course.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Is this guy the X replacement? :|
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    We have just the two stick shifts..3gwsbm5yvwd1.jpg
    Both fun to drive. She may not be fast but shes fun with the top down !jo0vb5imwj23.jpg
    Looks like that cat is havin trouble settin da volume Fi Delity again !!

• Nightfall
    If we called them MX-5 like the rest of the world instead of Miata they might have less stigma attached to them. I bet those are both a blast on the twisty roads.

• mrbigbluelight
    edited March 2017
    Looks like you might want to have a talk with your cat and remind her of the rule, "Play it, don't spray it".
    Sal Palooza
  • mrbigbluelight
    May I offer some advice, with 8 tracks it helps to shoe a matchbook in UNDER the cartridge

Most excellent advice. I tried the local convenience stores to obtain some matchboxes, and they seemed to be all sold out. I went to The Tinderbox and luckily they had a few in stock.
    You know what ? It works !!

I do notice a difference in output level that I'm not familiar with. Instead of the expected, and desired, "BOING", I think I was getting a little bit of "TWANG". I wasn't sure if I cared for that, so I reoriented the deck to face north. It appears that the further north you go, the less "TWANG" you get.

The Village People have never sounded so good. Thanks ! :)
    Sal Palooza
  • mrbigbluelight
    She may not be fast but shes fun with the top down !

I ..... uhm ....... I'm just going to ..... step ........ away ....... from ......... the ...... keyboard ........ :o
    Sal Palooza