just dived into the rabbit hole of vinyl and loving it

2»

Comments

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Just to present one more data point.

I am at the same level as you with my listening & playing capabilities for vinyl.
    I got a SpinClean. The difference is like night & day.

Single biggest improvement to *that* part of my audio enjoyment journey, to date.
  • Ducati Guy
    Ducati Guy Posts: 160
    thanks for all the suggestions
    do I need to worry about getting the record's inner/paper circle wet when I'm using the spin clean?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I would trash original sleeves as they are part of the problem and replace them with sleeves from Mobile Fidelity.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Ducati Guy wrote: »
    do I need to worry about getting the record's inner/paper circle wet when I'm using the spin clean?

The label sticker on the center of the record? No. You'll get literal drops of water on it sometimes but it's not a big deal, just dry it off.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2017
    I am amazed by how well the Spin Clean works given how simple it is. It's a good starter product for cleaning a rekkid. (Nightfall's comment above about the label is spot-on, no pun intended, in my experience)

Disclaimer: I'd love to have a proper RCM, and I would, too -- but I really don't have enough flat, accessible counter-space upon which to place one! :(
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    You can make a ghetto cleaning system that's pretty effective for reducing surface noise for not a lot of coin.
    g6omp07w0fk1.jpg
    Got an old stanton TT for $5, Vinyl Vac $29, TergiKlean $25.99, Mini shop vac from Walmart $12.99 and a couple of bottles and brushes for a couple more.

McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    Nice record collection.. Yeah, the price for new records are tough to swallow sometimes.. Try a few of the Music Matters Blue Note releases, they sound fantastic and the packaging is beautiful with the classic photos of the artists..

I'm using a Pro-Ject Esprit table with a Vincent Pho-8 phono preamp going into a Yamaha DSPA-1 integrated amp.. I also use a Spin Clean.. For outer and inner record sleeves, I purchase at Sleeve City..

I still listen to cd's because of what I have from the past and also my local thrift shop sells them for only $2 and less when they have sales..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    Spin clean? Eventually you should consider skipping the foreplay and invest in a ultrasonic. Cleaning set up. ;)http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/175267/ultrasonic-record-cleaning-machines-300-00/p1
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    Noosehinjohn if you find a good way (dust removal ) please post it! (Good subject)
    Static is the first thing you have to overcome! I agree about the brush as well. "A zerostat and compressed air??? LOL
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!

I got a brand new Craftsman 5 hp wet/dry shop vac from Kmart for $14. I also ordered the Tergikleen to super suck out the grime from my records
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • soundfreak1
    That's the one I got and am very pleased with it. Does a heck of a job.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mikeyb128
    halo wrote: »

I got a brand new Craftsman 5 hp wet/dry shop vac from Kmart for $14. I also ordered the Tergikleen to super suck out the grime from my records

I've ordered one as well, and bought the recommended shop vac from Home Depot. Another member here has this same setup but on a nice rolling cart. I plan on doing the same.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• halo
    halo wrote: »

I've ordered one as well, and bought the recommended shop vac from Home Depot. Another member here has this same setup but on a nice rolling cart. I plan on doing the same.

Can you post a picture? That'd be B)

Just FYI, I ordered mine from him on eBay on a Sunday and I got it on Thursday. Pretty quick shipping via Canada Post!
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • soundfreak1
    v9mz1ua3xvwj.jpg
    aupn7aqcfxtp.jpg
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mikeyb128
    ^^ that's the one!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• halo
    If anyone is interested, I picked up this Craftsman Evolv 5 Gallon 3 Peak HP Wet/Dry Vac sold by Kmart for $12.82 + tax (less than $15 out the door) to go with the Squeaky Clean MK III RCM.

33415758450_882c64bc2e_z.jpg
    33415758490_0c613fe459_z.jpg
    https://youtu.be/QbphnT1d-ys
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    TForan wrote: »
    What's the saying? " You can be happy with good digital system as long as you don't hear a good analog one".
    Just look at my signature. This was a signature quote from our very own Kenneth Swauger many years ago.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    should I clean new records too?

Yes. Even new LP's can benefit from a cleaning.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    edited April 2017
    There will be little "help" available in the forums especially if you have an addictive personality. All fellow vinyl/vintage addicts will always be willing to provide instructions on where to obtain the best stuff. It starts with one hit.....

"It was the needle and the spoon and a trip to the moon."

RIP my vinyl brother :)
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded