Rotel RCD 961 HDCD Player For Sale

Options
pjdami
pjdami Posts: 1,894
Updated. Will throw in a free Bob Crump designed power cord that I built (in case you all are worried about the stock power cord). This is a $30 value just in the parts alone.

This is a great cd player at this price folks. It significantly outperforms my Toshiba DVD player for redbook CD playback in two channel.

This is my personal HDCD player I have up for sale. I purchased it about a year ago as an authorized dealer demo for $400. Original retail was $500 - $600.

Reason for sale is that I have too many cd players right now and need to get rid of one. Here's my review of the cd player a while back:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13905&highlight=myryad

and here's a professional review:

http://202.186.86.35/audio/review.asp?file=/2001/11/8/audiofile/08rotel&sec=audiofile

I have the remote, original box, and owner's manual. I don't have the stock power cord for it but another one that the dealer grabbed off the rack. It's a removable IEC type but the Rotel only has "hot" and "neutral" prongs on the back of it so on the wall outlet end of the power cord looks like the dealer just removed the ground pin on the power cord. I can provide more pics if someone is interested but this doesn't cause any problems with the cd player.

The RCD 961 is a nice player. A RCD 971 sold on Audiogon last week for $325. I'm asking for $260 shipped and insured in the CONUS.

No scratches on the top or front face. Just one tiny nick in the paint in the lower left side of the player that I couldn't even get to come out in a picture. Overlooked it at first glance too. Absolutely no issues with this cd player.

When I bought the player, it had about 50 hours on it since the dealer only had it out for a month or so. I have probably put another 200 hours on it, but in the past year I have also purchased Myryad, Jolida, and Musical Fidelity cdps so the Rotel hasn't seen much action lately and needs a new home and some love.

$260 shipped CONUS and insured.
Post edited by pjdami on

Comments

• pjdami
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Just some more comments. I also did a shootout with the RCD 1070 vs. the RCD 961 a few months ago. The RCD 1070 was last year's model whereas the RCD 961 was back in 2001. These two players sounded IDENTICAL to my ears using the same exact interconnects (transparent) and switching on the fly between inputs on my receiver. There are more reviews on the RCD 1070 out there. The RCD 1070 has a torodial transformer but the RCD 961 doesn't. Again I couldn't hear a difference between the two.

Recently, I compared the RCD 961 to my $1,200 modded Jolida with tube output stage. The RCD 961 held its own very well. The highs were a little more refined with the Jolida, but the price difference made me think about was it really worth the upgrade.

Here's a pic of the RCD 961 vs. RCD 1070 shootout. RCD 961 below the 1070 on the middle shelf:
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Those look very clean, Paul! wish I have my gears as clean as yours!

Good luck with the sales, I thought I am the only one need professional help, for having multiple CDPs scattered around the house unused ;)

btw, I have reached the point of content with my CDP sources...no more searching (for awhile, at least) next, I really need to have a firesale for unused gears, so I can cleanup my closet.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • pjdami
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I thought I am the only one need professional help

Hey PT. Thanks. No you are not alone...LOL... This is an expensive and crazy hobby indeed.

Clean?? Man what you talking about. Your system showcase pics look very clean to me.

The problem with this hobby is that you really need to demo gear in your house and you need time with the gear. I've been through a lot of gear the past year but have learned a lot as well. I think I'm hitting a brick wall as far as performance goes though at the price point that I'm looking at. Although, finding tubes has made me happy.

I'm trying to fund a Scott Nixon tube output DAC with this sale. Another toy to try out.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Pj - Nice player, sure hope someone snags it from you.

It's interesting that you found practically no difference between this unit and your 1070. Kind of makes you want to try the new Rotel just to see...

Good Luck!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • pjdami
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Weekly bump. Now with included Asylum power cord at no extra charge. Work with me. I can probably knock a few ($10) off the overall price as well.
  • pjdami
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Last bump before I go looking to sell elsewhere. Been over a month guys. Can't believe nobody wants this player with an included Asylum Cable. This is a great player folks. It sounds just as good as the RCD 1070 which has received rave reviews all over ecoustics.com. Would make a great transport if you want to add a Scott Nixon Tube DAC+ to get some of that tube sound in your system for folks wanting to get into some tube gear. See the reviews at:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nixon/tubedac.html[/URL]

Its a Rotel and they do cd players well:D [URL][/url]
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    One last shameless bump. Been a while.

This cd player sounds great with B&K amplification. My review on here was with a Rotel receiver which I found to be a little more forward sounding in the mids / highs. Still a killer sound though. Since I have posted my amp for sale maybe somebody wants the full circle here.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Pjdami, thats a hellavah deal on that player, somebody needs to snag this Rotel. Where's the new guy's building systems at? Buy this player, you'll send PJdami a Christmas card after hearing it...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I never heard it but if it sounds the same as the RCD1070 someone should snag it for sure. I'll second Steve's comment, you can build a system around it.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dcarlson
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Ahh crap. Double post. Doh! :D

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Nice cd player, would look nice next to my Rotel 980 amp, ah well to many wants not enough money... Good luck!!:)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    CD player is no longer for sale.

Paul
  • dcarlson
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Did you sell it?

• pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Dcarlson,

No it is not sold. I'm just reconsidering my options here with electronics. I have some new bookshelves I'm playing around with and now I am considering selling my Musical Fidelity CD Pre 24 to generate some cash for a nice integrated amp. I'm going to be experimenting some more this weekend.

If I do sell the Rotel it will probably go to Agon. Been on here long enough. I want to see how it mates with a new integrated first though.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I just saw this post. I am VERY INTERESTED in the ROTEL CD Player. E-mail me at: ronskarvan@aol.com if you want to sell it.

Thanks.
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Email sent.

Paul