New LSIM 705's

Options
simm
simm Posts: 562
UPS just delivered the 705's I ordered Sunday night. Not bad at all considering the storm that hit the NE. Boxes were pretty beat up but fortunately no transit damage to the speakers that I can find. Couple of initial thoughts:

-The boxes and packing materials are pretty poor for a speaker of this quality- they protected the speakers in transit but don't think they will hold up if I try to repack if I move

- the speakers are heavy and I realized I am not a young man anymore- carrying them to the second floor was no fun

- the speakers themselves are beautiful- I went with cherry to match my 706 and 703's

- there are couple of edges on the face where the gloss black paint doesn't quite cover the hole where the speakers mount. Anyone know if Polk sells any touch up paint? It is very small line but would like to try and touch it up.

I am leaving them playing overnight and tomorrow while at work and will get them set up properly this weekend. I am pretty excited to have them.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I found the 707 packaging to be good because those came via freight (CEVA) so no damage. I don't think a different shipping method would have been as kind to them. The packaging on the 706 is really inadequate to go through UPS. The box is huge and the only protection for the speaker is styrofoam on the ends. The first one I got was gouged through the box in three places and damaged the speaker so I returned that. The second one was shipped next day air for free and the box was undamaged,
  • simm
    Options
    I had a similar experience with the 706. First one damaged and replaced. The second was fine but styrofoam was broken up pretty badly. Can't wait to get more time with the 705's this weekend though. Too bad I can't take tomorrow off.
  • simm
    Options
    I must have finally hit the magic break in mark. Initially I was not as pleased with the bass response as I expected to be given these are tower speakers but I was listening today and all of a sudden I realized I was hearing the bass I expected from them. Been running them in pure direct and probably have 50-75 hrs on them. Really pleased now.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    They are a great sounding speaker. Easy on the ears but a hair picky on placement.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • simm
    Options
    I'm still experimenting with placement. I have them a about 9' from my seated position, 9.5' apart, and 18" off the rear wall toed in towards my chair.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    How big is the room? Can you try to go 8 feet apart?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    I'll be following this thread. I, too, noticed the 705s opening up, but I was fairly pleased with mine within hours. They did get better and better with more time on them.

I haven't adjusted my 705s much yet, but speaking of more time - my first LSiMs, 703s, have a couple of years on them now. I always liked them, but was just recently surprised to find that they sounded much better out a significant distance from the rear wall. I currently have them about 24", 8ft triangle, and they belt out the lows as well as offer much better clarity than they did when they were "tucked" in. For toe, I have them set so I can just see the inside facing edge, so they're aimed to cross a little behind me.
    I disabled signatures.
  • simm
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »

Room is probably 17' long and 13' wide. I have them on the long wall because of windows and doors. I'll try them in a little closer together and see what happens.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Mine put out some serious bass at around a year
    of use. Those drivers got nice and loose. Not
    too loose, let's say juuust right.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    With 600wpc my 705's make big beautiful bass.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    simm wrote: »

Room is probably 17' long and 13' wide. I have them on the long wall because of windows and doors. I'll try them in a little closer together and see what happens.

You will never get great deep bass from a room 13' Wide.

Try playing some music with deep bass, and listen at your listening position, then move towards the corners of the room. Big change?

We had a similar sized room, but 20' long. We tried short and long wall, and it was a big change sound wise and bass wise.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You'd be surprised how much room interaction influences the overall tone of the speakers. It makes it much more difficult to fully characterize the speaker or the room when reading online/magazine reviews.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • arekon
    arekon Posts: 77
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

Try playing some music with deep bass, and listen at your listening position, then move towards the corners of the room. Big change?

We had a similar sized room, but 20' long. We tried short and long wall, and it was a big change sound wise and bass wise.

the reason being 13 feet is too wide or too narrow?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    The reason is probably bad speaker placement and/or the need for multiple subs and trying to do it with one.
  • arekon
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    arekon wrote: »

Disregard that statement. There is more to sound in a room than just dimensions. You can't make a blanket statement like that.

true. but generalizing can get you places
  • simm
    Options
    I am interested in knowing why good bass is not possible with room dimensions like I have. I will play around with placement this weekend and see if there is a better way to position them. Not enough time during the week.
  • arekon
    Options
    someone was majestically called out for generalizing room size and its affect on speaker output.
    in my opinion, 3am on friday morning is a perfectly good time to play around. blame it on your kitties. lots of outs and draw cards..
  • K_M
    edited April 2017
    Options

Too narrow.

Standing waves reduce the bass when sitting directly across on the short dimension.

We resorted to using subs, but had to alter the level a good bit and make changes that were not required when system was on shorter wall.

But as Someone else mentioned, dimensions are not all, just a big part.
  • simm
    Options

Measured today the room is 15' wide by about 16.5' long. This does not include a 6'x5' alcove along the back side of the wide wall nor a 6' x4' entrance into the room. Going to play around more with placement this evening. I know being almost square is having a negative impact.
  • arekon
    Options
    ive read somewhere that an ideal HT room is perfectly square.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

Don't believe everything you read. o:)

A square room is horrible for audio due to the way the sound interacts with the room. 15x17 is not a bad room though.

OhSheet, don't bring the math skills out....please ;)

Next we'll have to define room slap and a bunch of other technical terms...for godssake it's the weekend ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • arekon
    edited April 2017
    Options
    when i was a kid my mom told my brothers and i that the brown stuff on the skin of a banana was brown sugar.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Options

A square room is horrible for audio due to the way the sound interacts with the room. 15x17 is not a bad room though.

"Don't be square. Listen to Skip"
  • arekon
    Options
    SIMM.

how do they blend with the 706, any complaints?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ah, more discussion on the room...

Room dimensions aside, you will always get standing waves, it's inevitable. A square room is problematic because your standing waves tend to converge on one specific frequency spread, which means you have a massive peak and a massive dip.

The width of the room has an effect on the frequency of the standing wave, but it does not remove such a phenomenon. Be it a 13' room or a 20' room. It's the same, your midpoint seating "area" is at a standing wave.

What matters is how long (and how tall) your room is in relation to the width, this will tell you if you have standing waves on top of standing waves.

You can get away with a 13' wide room.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • K_M
    edited April 2017
    Options

Disregard that statement. There is more to sound in a room than just dimensions. You can't make a blanket statement like that.

(see what happened?, you just violated your own rule!)
  • K_M
    edited April 2017
    Options

You prove your lack of knowledge daily. I've tried to be nice to you but you are nothing but a troll. How many times have you actually agreed with someone instead of trying to call them out? Do you have an issue with my statement or was that just petty being petty?

Your statement was bull. Mine is legitimate. Yours is bull because bass isn't only confined to the room. Joey already commented on what happens in a square room.

You called me out for making a "Blanket statement" saying they can not be made!

Then shortly after, you made a Blanket statement.
    Now you are trying to explain that YOU are able to make blanket statements, even though you just told me, We can not make blanket statements about anything.

Ironic?>?
    Post edited by K_M on
  • K_M
    Options
    I said square rooms are horrible and they are. They can be overcome, but it takes a lot of effort to do so. YOU said there was NO way he would get good bass in a room 13' wide.

I made no blanket statement about an impossibility like you did.
    ...actually I said he would not get "Great Deep bass" in a narrow room.
    But I get how that could be confused.
    We have almost the same exact scenario, and I described how it did not work at well on the long wall as the short wall.

Either way, sorry for the bickering. Still friends?
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Perhaps Vanilla could be set up so that the words "never" and "always" are censored? LOL

It's all good though, I would be thoroughly embarrassed to show pictures of the room my 2Bs are in, but they still sound great to me... most of the time, anyway. (see what I did there?)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • K_M
    edited April 2017
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Perhaps Vanilla could be set up so that the words "never" and "always" are censored? LOL

It's all good though, I would be thoroughly embarrassed to show pictures of the room my 2Bs are in, but they still sound great to me... most of the time, anyway. (see what I did there?)

If you think they sound good, they WILL sound good...lol