Polk R series compared to Signature series

I've been sporting Polk R30 in the front, CSR, and Polk R15s in the back. I've had these for over 10 years and they've been driven by a yamaha HRR-5840. I have a Klipsh 12 inch sub as well with the system. I Really like the R30s and CSR. I think I like the CSR better in tonal quality, but thats beside the point.

My thoughts are upgrading to the S35 for the Center and S50 for the fronts. I'm just wondering if this would be an upgrade or not.

Comments

• The Signature Series are far better than the R Series.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    DSkip wrote: »
    I would go S30 and S50 unless you need the slimmer center... and yeah, there is a lot of real estate between the R series and Signature Series.

And tomorrow I find out, as long as UPS doesn't do something bad to my packages.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    I've had the opportunity to do a side by side comparison between the R40s and the Sig S20s. The R line isn't bad at all. But still leaps and bounds apart in the upgrade department when compared to the Signature Series. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts @dsharpe and @mrloren .
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    Oh man @Rick88 I have to say that Tuesday(2/14) was probably the most amusing listening session I've experienced in a while. I think I listened for close to five hours (that's what happens when you stay up all night because your on night shift :) ). The gear with make the Sig20s dance. As I put more listening hours on them the better they sound.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • dsharpe
    dsharpe Posts: 5
    Well, I'm interested in the S35 mainly due to its slim form factor. We are getting a new TV console and it would work better overall.
    One of the things that helps the Polk CSR is that the tweeter is offset from the woofers, which helps prevent the lobing/combing issues with an MTM array. Its off axis response, to my ears, is pretty good.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited March 2017
    I can now tell you the Signature are a big step up from my RTi8. RTi are way up the food chain from the older "R" series

Now RTi12 with a nice amp is a different story. Then again you would need to spend a lot for that.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    dsharpe wrote: »
    Well, I'm interested in the S35 mainly due to its slim form factor. We are getting a new TV console and it would work better overall.
    One of the things that helps the Polk CSR is that the tweeter is offset from the woofers, which helps prevent the lobing/combing issues with an MTM array. Its off axis response, to my ears, is pretty good.

I was unsure of the 35 at first but after setting the crossover at 80hz and few hours on it I really like it. This little center produces clear detailed dialog and packs a punch.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables