SDA1 on craigslist $100

Options
gychang
gychang Posts: 11
edited March 2017 in Vintage Speakers
reportedly in very good shape not used much, plan to hear them soon. Asking $100 for the pair. My concern is, they are rated 4Ohms, I plan to drive them with onkyo theater receiver 100W/ch. Is there a possible problem?

thanks
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    edited March 2017
    Options
    $100 is a steal. Running them with an AVR will not produce the best sound however, and the 4 ohm load will tax your AVR. they really need a dedicated amplifier to make them sing.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    $100 is a steal. Running them with an AVR will not produce the best sound however, and the 4 ohm load will tax your AVR. they really need a dedicated amplifier to make them sing.

This.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    You'll see the magic smoke rising from your AVR in short order.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options
    Problem is they start at 4ohm but dip lower than that. Be very careful with the volume knob. I speak from experience here. I roasted two very nice receivers that pushed more than 100 wpc.
  • gychang
    gychang Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks for the comment, I noticed sensitivity if 94dB, so hopefully will be loud enough...
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    I'd get them as it's a steal and then upgrade to an amplifier feeding them instead of the AVR.
    Pretty sure it's not the loudness you should be worried about.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2017
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Problem is they start at 4ohm but dip lower than that. Be very careful with the volume knob. I speak from experience here. I roasted two very nice receivers that pushed more than 100 wpc.

A sensible precaution to take.
    Also many Avr's have different impedance selections, 6/8 ohms usually.
    The 6 ohm setting, will limit the "power", but provide more protection.
    The 8 ohm setting is actually the better one to use, as it does not artificially limit the power, but will cause receiver to get much warmer at the higher levels it allows.
    As long as you are using reasonable volume levels, AND it has decent air circulation, you will be okay.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The problem with that philosophy of keeping the volume levels down is.....nobody buys big floorstanders without wanting to push them. It's human nature to want to turn up the volume when your favorite song is playing. Plus your not going to get those details in the music at lower volumes without sufficient power.

This is when disaster strikes when under powering your speakers. Any 4 ohm speaker deserves an amp for it in my book. Right tool for the right job as they say.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

As long as you are using reasonable volume levels, AND it has decent air circulation, you will be okay.

This is not always the case. I let the smoke out of a Yamaha CR-1040 with a pair of SDA 2a's, volume at less than 25%.

I had brought the 2a's home and listened to an entire Little Feet disk just running as a stereo pair with no issues. Using a clock face as a reference I ended up with the volume at about the 10:30 position. I shut everything off and put the interconnect in place to listen to the same disk again.

Using the same clock face reference I had it at about 8:45 and blew the left side output module in the 1040 about half way through Dixie Chicken.

Be careful and read your receiver documentation regarding output loads. Even if your receiver has a 4 ohm rating I would personally still not risk it. YMMV obviously

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 365
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I ran a modded pair of SDA SRS 2s for a few weeks with an Onkyo 100 watt receiver with no problem and it didn't even get unusually warm. And, yes, it was turned up !
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • K_M
    edited March 2017
    Options

This is not always the case. I let the smoke out of a Yamaha CR-1040 with a pair of SDA 2a's, volume at less than 25%.

I had brought the 2a's home and listened to an entire Little Feet disk just running as a stereo pair with no issues. Using a clock face as a reference I ended up with the volume at about the 10:30 position. I shut everything off and put the interconnect in place to listen to the same disk again.

Using the same clock face reference I had it at about 8:45 and blew the left side output module in the 1040 about half way through Dixie Chicken.

Be careful and read your receiver documentation regarding output loads. Even if your receiver has a 4 ohm rating I would personally still not risk it. YMMV obviously

Great advice, what may work with one AVR/receiver, may not with another, and I am sure we are all using different levels as what we consider loud, not loud and so on. Room size, and many other things.
  • tonyb
    Options
    TForan wrote: »
    I ran a modded pair of SDA SRS 2s for a few weeks with an Onkyo 100 watt receiver with no problem and it didn't even get unusually warm. And, yes, it was turned up !

Kinda like saying I did 50 mph in first gear and didn't blow my engine. That just means you got lucky, not that it should be standard practice.

Can you run a 4 ohm speaker on a low powered AVR not even rated for 4 ohms ? Of course you can, but you have some risks your taking. Now, if money is of no concern to you, by all means, rock your world driving 4 ohm speakers with a AVR. Maybe you'll toast something, maybe you won't. One thing is for sure though, no 4 ohm speaker will sound great on an AVR.....and why buy a 4 ohm speaker, or any speaker for that matter, if you don't want to realize their full potential.

This is why we don't recommend it, not that you can't do it, just that it's not good advice if you want to retain the integrity of your gear. See what I'm sayin' ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    Options
    gychang wrote: »
    reportedly in very good shape not used much, plan to hear them soon. Asking $100 for the pair. My concern is, they are rated 4Ohms, I plan to drive them with onkyo theater receiver 100W/ch. Is there a possible problem?

thanks

Gotta ask, what exact model?
  • tonyb
    Options

thanks

Speakers are SDA 1, the receiver model.....does it matter ? Even the bigger ones limit current to retain a 4 ohm rating. That's to keep them from overheating, so regardless of the model receiver, it's a bad choice to drive 4 ohm speakers with an AVR. Just my .02.

You can maybe get away with driving surround 4 ohm speakers with an AVR, they don't do much heavy lifting anyway, but as fronts....I'd nix that idea.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    TForan wrote: »

Kinda like saying I did 50 mph in first gear and didn't blow my engine. That just means you got lucky, not that it should be standard practice.

Can you run a 4 ohm speaker on a low powered AVR not even rated for 4 ohms ? Of course you can, but you have some risks your taking. Now, if money is of no concern to you, by all means, rock your world driving 4 ohm speakers with a AVR. Maybe you'll toast something, maybe you won't. One thing is for sure though, no 4 ohm speaker will sound great on an AVR.....and why buy a 4 ohm speaker, or any speaker for that matter, if you don't want to realize their full potential.

This is why we don't recommend it, not that you can't do it, just that it's not good advice if you want to retain the integrity of your gear. See what I'm sayin' ?

It was just a regular two channel receiver, not a AVR. Just relating my brief experience with an amp that I was told wouldn't work with the Polks. It easily ran the speakers at over 100 dbs for hours. Maybe the Onkyos are more rugged than most receivers ? It did sound better with the Parasound Integrated but it wasn't night and day. I Paid $80 brand new Onyko ten years ago, so I wasn't too worried about its' well being. Still have it and it still works!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Stereo receivers usually have a beefier power supply than their AVR counterparts. It still isn't ideal. The problem with running amps like that isn't always ruining the amp, but destroying your tweeters and midwoofers in the process. Dirty power is deadly to those components and when you are using a weak power supply, you get dirty power when pushed.

Certainly not ideal, but it worked . That's all.
  • K_M
    edited March 2017
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

thanks

Speakers are SDA 1, the receiver model.....does it matter ? Even the bigger ones limit current to retain a 4 ohm rating. That's to keep them from overheating, so regardless of the model receiver, it's a bad choice to drive 4 ohm speakers with an AVR. Just my .02.

You can maybe get away with driving surround 4 ohm speakers with an AVR, they don't do much heavy lifting anyway, but as fronts....I'd nix that idea.

Oh was asking model, cause they were $100.00, nothing to do with the receiver thing, did not see the model listed, was going back to what the OP brought up was all.

SORRY< just saw it listed in Title.....oops!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This whole issue can be summed up as "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..." you can sometimes cheat the laws of physics, but you can't beat them.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• littlewoodboats
    Options

I would be interested in knowing which model as well. For a $100.00 they could be parted out at a profit or held onto until safe to use.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    This whole issue can be summed up as "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..." you can sometimes cheat the laws of physics, but you can't beat them.

On the other hand, never miss a chance to blow those hideous SL2000 tweeters.
    J/K but I never could figure out how they ever let them out the door.
  • K_M
    Options

I would be interested in knowing which model as well. For a $100.00 they could be parted out at a profit or held onto until safe to use.

The title says....I missed it also..>SDA-1
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    But which one of the 1's as there were numerous ones? (Or should that be 1's)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    most likely SDA1 or 1a do not believe SDA1c are 4ohm..
  • littlewoodboats
    Options

So at the minimum the op is looking at eight midwoofers and two pr's for $100.00? Sounds like a steal to me.
  • pitdogg2
    Options

So at the minimum the op is looking at eight midwoofers and two pr's for $100.00? Sounds like a steal to me.

Yes stole them. I paid 124.00 for mine and old owner hacked into wires to get both tweeters working because he had no cable....genius at work step back lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Maybe not so risky, after all. :)

Quoted from the Polk website "The SRS Series was designed and engineered to be driven well by practically any electronics available at the time, even the most modestly-powered amplifier or receiver . They present an "easy load." We recommend that a high quality amplifier or receiver of at least 50 watts per channel be used for the best performance."
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Options
    These are not SRS. And pretty sure some SRS were 8 ohms.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    These are not SRS. And pretty sure some SRS were 8 ohms.

Weren't they all 4 ohms until the fourth generation ?